Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Aki checked your photos and with factory. I now understand the reason and it shouldn't happen on later batches. Reason is that I wasn't satisfied with the first paint job for the pink, so I asked for a second layer to be applied. The parts were then painted assembled including the screws, as a result they are stuck tighter. Normally one shouldn't need that much force to unscrew. This time round pink can have this issue, sorry 'bout that :)

Reactions: Aki

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@SteckTesters, in some cases I have feedback that some parts are slightly deformed (spine plate) due to packaging. As mentioned before final packaging was not ready by the time I ship to you guys. The final packaging will have proper foam casing on the parts. If you experience any issue with parts getting crushed, I appreciate if you could first try use some tool to fix it first. As I have shipped out all I have got, I don't have any spare to send to you at this stage.

I will see what I can do later for the launch for you guys

Last edited:
Reactions: Aki and Chinaman

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Reference post
Note the long card I use in the photo shoot is even taller at 140mm (MSI armor) and it is one of the tallest out there (a non-standard). ATX spec is about 122mm. I would say max this case can handle is 140mm.

Looks like my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X is a no-go in the Steck. With the power connectors being on the top of the card, I can't get the top on in the standard configuration. Looks like I would need to use the top hat just to have room for the PCIe power connectors.

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Looks like my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X is a no-go in the Steck. With the power connectors being on the top of the card, I can't get the top on in the standard configuration. Looks like I would need to use the top hat just to have room for the PCIe power connectors.
There is risk of using that MSI card with "sleeved" cables that are much thicker than normal or metal plated ones. I am actually getting some custom cables made for the whole set (including psu, cpu pwr, sata, pcie pwr, etc). Maybe I will make those for the market if you guys don't want the hassle to do your own custom cables.

Reactions: fabio

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
There is risk of using that MSI card with "sleeved" cables that are much thicker than normal or metal plated ones. I am actually getting some custom cables made for the whole set (including psu, cpu pwr, sata, pcie pwr, etc). Maybe I will make those for the market if you guys don't want the hassle to do your own custom cables.

I'm just using the flat cables that came with the Corsair SF450. It's not so much the thickness of the cables as it is the height of the connector at the end of the cable.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I'm just using the flat cables that came with the Corsair SF450. It's not so much the thickness of the cables as it is the height of the connector at the end of the cable.

EDIT : I will post some photos with MSI card and stock PSU cables later. But yes you will need to push down the cables to make room

Note: top panel flush OK. PCIe power cables - pull them "right down" hard

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
My top expansion and my frontpanel don't align perfectly
@Aki maybe you can try loosen top expansion screws, then use your fingers and adjust the top expansions slightly so that the surfaces to the front panel is flushed. Best way is to check whether the rounded edges are good fit. Hold their position when you screw them back tight.

There may be very small give in the screw holes that cause this.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Just received my case and unpacked the first piece, which was the top panel. And boy, it screams high QUALITY!
There's actual heft to these pieces.

I placed it back into the box and will unpack the whole box tomorrow morning since I'm off work.

So far, it feels just as good, if not better, than my S4M and the NCase M1.

Nice work Bosco!

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I know the packaging is not what will be used for the final release version, but I would like to at least try doing an unboxing video here. In the meantime, I am still waiting for my package to arrive the destination hub. My package unfortunately was routed to Memphis, Tennessee Sunday morning which is over 12 hours from city in the Midwest. So it may arrive Tuesday though the expected day is Wednesday so I will need to hold my horses and be extra patient. :)

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Just give you guys heads up that I notice some feedback on the colours not being applied even enough. This will be fixed in the bulk order (500+). As this test batch (albeit using bulk tooling) is only < 20 quantity, it is very difficult for the paint shop to mix the different dyes to the right proportion to get the right colour. Tiny amounts (in grams or ounces) can already totally change the resulting colour. In practice only mixing a larger amount of dyes can be stable. And no factory will be willing to make 20 unit per order on a continuous basis. So this batch is a one off.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Would one of those 90-degree or 180-degree adapter help?

Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
actually one thing that nobody mentioned so far, guess it isn't an issue at all? I was always concerned how you feel about the strength of the magnetic strip. Do you feel the panels are sufficiently fastened with this method? Coz I think this maybe the first case to use this mechanism. Please feedback on this.:) I do have a plan to move back to clips for subsequent versions, only if current method totally sucks. Clips have its drawbacks for SFF as the clip takes up some precious space inside...

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
The case just arrived at my destination facility! I do have a prior commitment this evening, but I will do all I can to share whatever I can today at the earliest, tomorrow for certain. I have access to an RVZ02 and a NUC which I may be able to use for side-by-side size comparison purposes.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
actually one thing that nobody mentioned so far, guess it isn't an issue at all? I was always concerned how you feel about the strength of the magnetic strip. Do you feel the panels are sufficiently fastened with this method? Coz I think this maybe the first case to use this mechanism. Please feedback on this.:) I do have a plan to move back to clips for subsequent versions, only if current method totally sucks. Clips have its drawbacks for SFF as the clip takes up some precious space inside...

I haven't gotten a chance to even install the side panels yet. My side panels are pretty bowed from shipping, so I need to figure out how to flatten them before I put the magnets on to install them. Plus, I'm still deciding whether to install the top hat to take care of my clearance issue with the PCIe power connectors on my GPU (if this case were only 2 mm taller).

As far as mounting solutions for the side and top panels... I'm definitely not a fan of magnets or clips (like on the NCASE M1). I much prefer that the panels be held on with screws (I think the CCD MI-6 is a perfect example of a well-done solution in this regard). I don't really need to have constant access to the system internals--I much prefer that the side and top panels are securely fastened if I move the system. It seems most people on the SFF forums are so adverse to screws. I just don't see the problem with them--especially when the screw holes are countersunk to allow the screw head to be flush with the side/top panel (again, see the CCD MI-6).

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Mine just showed up last night. I'm planning to run a battery of tests on all of the hardware in the Node 202 that its currently in and then start transferring everything over to the Steck. Hoping to get everything installed and retested by the weekend so I can post pictures and results then.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I haven't gotten a chance to even install the side panels yet. My side panels are pretty bowed from shipping, so I need to figure out how to flatten them before I put the magnets on to install them.
I suggest bend it with bare hands. Bend it a little then fit it on and see if more is needed? My guess is that it only bows out within the thickness of the panel (1.5mm) i.e. not really so severe that it's showing gaps?

Seems most of you will have a busy week/weekend :)

Last edited:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I haven't gotten a chance to even install the side panels yet. My side panels are pretty bowed from shipping, so I need to figure out how to flatten them before I put the magnets on to install them. Plus, I'm still deciding whether to install the top hat to take care of my clearance issue with the PCIe power connectors on my GPU (if this case were only 2 mm taller).

As far as mounting solutions for the side and top panels... I'm definitely not a fan of magnets or clips (like on the NCASE M1). I much prefer that the panels be held on with screws (I think the CCD MI-6 is a perfect example of a well-done solution in this regard). I don't really need to have constant access to the system internals--I much prefer that the side and top panels are securely fastened if I move the system. It seems most people on the SFF forums are so adverse to screws. I just don't see the problem with them--especially when the screw holes are countersunk to allow the screw head to be flush with the side/top panel (again, see the CCD MI-6).
You need to buy this: https://www.pslatecustoms.com/products/low-profile-pcie-extension-for-louqe-ghost-s1

For someone who signed up for early access and review, You sound so bitter already... Almost like you came to this case completely blind and shocked. It's been said multiple times that this case was meant to be used (and possibly fixed) on a desktop and not to be tote around. Of course, I value my desk space. But come on, you can't be surprised like that. *Bashes my head on wall*

Last edited:
Reactions: Aki and Poblopuablo