Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Is the reason why...

In the next week my build!
That's a good idea. But I am no expert in benchmarking so I am open to suggestions or some other benchmarking links for other systems that we can follow? Appreciate if we can pool the knowledge of users here on this, one thing I would say though is I'd personally prefer tests that more reflect "real-life" usage. Rather than just burning the CPU/GPU, which I think are more for the purpose of Intel vs AMD or Nvidia vs AMD comparisons.

And also best for me to keep an arm's length on those settings, I think, to avoid any disputes on the results. I am just paranoid the hostility a few here have to this product in this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
For what it is worth, when I finally receive my case and test it for thermal dissipation performance, I will be running IntelBurnTest at Very High on 10 loops. With that thermal load, I will post my temperatures noting the ambient temperature, fan, fan orientation, CPU cooler, and thermal grease that I am using as well as the CPU and RAM clock, voltage, and timing configuration.

By the way, I currently use Arctic Silver 5 as my thermal grease but I am considering purchasing a 37 gram bulk tube of Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut. Does anyone here have experience with Kyronaut?

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
For what it is worth, when I finally receive my case and test it for thermal dissipation performance, I will be running IntelBurnTest at Very High on 10 loops. With that thermal load, I will post my temperatures noting the ambient temperature, fan, fan orientation, CPU cooler, and thermal grease that I am using as well as the CPU and RAM clock, voltage, and timing configuration.

By the way, I currently use Arctic Silver 5 as my thermal grease but I am considering purchasing a 37 gram bulk tube of Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut. Does anyone here have experience with Kyronaut?

I bought a 10g tube like a year ago and onluly use it on my stuff. I have mx4 for.all my other builds, but when it comes to my personal rigs I use keyonaut. Couldn't tell you if it makes much of a difference, but I feel more secure with the higher quality. :)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

This is one of my concerns. If we can we should try open and free software, not linked to Intel or AMD. We can choose from these tests, compile a list, and that's it!

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/stress-test-cpu-pc-guide,5461.html

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
If there are extra cases available to test, I would love to test out the new Corsair h100i platinum aio with my 2700x. I also have Noctua fans with the rads to keep things silent. But damn I missed my chance.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Proper pictures will happen next weekend. All I did is just test fit my existing build to here.

I cant runt full bench so I cant say anything about thermals (plus I live in a tropical country wherein my temperature is usually 10-15 degrees hotter than review sites)

Spec:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
MB: Asus B450-i
GPU: MSI Armor RX580 8GB OC
Ram: Currently using 1x8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport (I dont have access to precision screwdriver to remove the upper heatsink of 2x8GB Patriot Viper 4)
Cooler: Noctua L12S
Storage: 500gb WD m.2 sata blue\
PSU: Corsair SF450 with sleeved cable from aliexpress (MB is 200mm, GPU is 300mm, 8pin CPU is 400mm)

edit:
you have to apply the magnets on the panels. Tip: test fit the panel if it is sit flush. Once you see it is really okjay, stick the magnet on the frame. Once you are okay with the fit, remove the adhesive and sit the panel and push it on the edge.

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
PSU: Corsair SF450 with sleeved cable from aliexpress (MB is 200mm, GPU is 300mm, 8pin CPU is 400mm)
Suggest you use the other brackets for the L12S heatsink (there are 2 sets of brackets that come for AM4), then the heatsink will align more to the center. The other brackets will make the heatpipes point downwards, the fins will then locate slightly higher up.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Proper pictures will happen next weekend. All I did is just test fit my existing build to here.

I cant runt full bench so I cant say anything about thermals (plus I live in a tropical country wherein my temperature is usually 10-15 degrees hotter than review sites)

Spec:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
MB: Asus B450-i
GPU: MSI Armor RX580 8GB OC
Ram: Currently using 1x8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport (I dont have access to precision screwdriver to remove the upper heatsink of 2x8GB Patriot Viper 4)
Cooler: Noctua L12S
Storage: 500gb WD m.2 sata blue\

edit:
you have to apply the magnets on the panels. Tip: test fit the panel if it is sit flush. Once you see it is really okjay, stick the magnet on the frame. Once you are okay with the fit, remove the adhesive and sit the panel and push it on the edge.

Build looks great. I was wondering if Steck testers would actually get their cases before any Ghost S1 were actually received, looks like you did.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@chyll2
For the top brackets/spine screws, suggest you try to screw those 2 in tightly, so that the 2 screws sit flush with the top brackets. This ensures the top panel to sit flush also. Otherwise the top panel will look like it sticks out a little bit at the top.

and BTW, is the size ok for SFF? Is it within your expectation?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Build looks great. I was wondering if Steck testers would actually get their cases before any Ghost S1 were actually received, looks like you did.
I guess I was lucky since it did end up getting shipped from HK and I am from Philippines.

@chyll2
For the top brackets/spine screws, suggest you try to screw those 2 in tightly, so that the 2 screws sit flush with the top brackets. This ensures the top panel to sit flush also. Otherwise the top panel will look like it sticks out a little bit at the top.

and BTW, is the size ok for SFF? Is it within your expectation?
I haven't tightened everything yet since I will have to reassemble it once I can get the Patriots top heat sink removed.

The size is perfect for me. I was actually thinking of letting anyone here know if they want the extra stack unit since I might end up not using it then you shipped it earlier. (I was expecting it to be shipped today)

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I am think maybe you guys can give the product an "honest" score on some key factors, say from 1-10. I can think of some such as below. Feel free to add to the list.

Score
=====
- Size for SFF
- Aesthetics
- Ease of installation
- Price (say for USD 190 full bundle, USD160 base unit only + shipping, for full retail price)
- Finishing (paint work, metal work etc)
- Flexibility
- Compatibility (for your hardware)
- Thermals (passive / liquid)
- Potential for modding
- Comments for further improvements

Reactions: fabio

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
...By the way, I currently use Arctic Silver 5 as my thermal grease but I am considering purchasing a 37 gram bulk tube of Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut. Does anyone here have experience with Kyronaut?

That's the liquid metal right? Be careful not to spill over tho :p. If you plan on changing your config around often, it's a hassle to clean up and re-apply the stuff?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
That's the liquid metal right? Be careful not to spill over tho :p. If you plan on changing your config around often, it's a hassle to clean up and re-apply the stuff?

Conductinaut is the liquid metal version. Kryonaut is the polymer with the least thermal conductivity degradation at sub-ambient temps. In my experience Kyronaut has given me 1-2 C better performance than Noctua NT-H1 and the Gelid solution.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Nope. It is still nonconductive. Apparently, per all the tests I have seen, it is the world’s best nonconductive thermal paste available before treading the risky territory of liquid metal. This 37-gram bulk tube I have been eying costs roughly the same per gram as the Arctic Silver 5 I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017SBFDN2/

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Nope. It is still nonconductive. Apparently, per all the tests I have seen, it is the world’s best nonconductive thermal paste available before treading the risky territory of liquid metal. This 37-gram bulk tube I have been eying costs roughly the same per gram as the Arctic Silver 5 I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017SBFDN2/

So I bought this exact one about a year ago since there was a random 30% off sale, even though I had about half a smaller tube left from a previous build. I didn't end up opening the little black bag it came in until 4-5 months after I bought it and came to find that the tube was completely smashed and all of the TIM had leaked out. Sadly, this was long after the return window, so if you do go this route, check to make sure it doesn't get smashed in transit.

ReezyJeezy

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2017
Sorry if I'm going to rain on your parade but between Daniel's two cases (A4 and C4), the Loque S1 and Thorzone's Mjolnir, I don't see much gap to fill in this form factor.
i beg to differ, everyone has different tastes and someone that likes the dan case might not like loques, or someone might not like the ghost and might like this. I think theres always room, too much hating...embrace creativity

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016

First: Thanks a lot to macbosco for making such an awesome case and giving us a chance to own and test them before retail for a lower price.

And now specs and review (more coming up, but it's to late to make proper pictures now and I'm waiting for a few more components).
CPU: 2700x
MB: Asus x470i strix
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 ECC VLP @3200mhz cl16 19 19 ?????
GPU: GTX 1070 mini from zotac with noctua fans strapped to it.
PSU: Corsair SF450 (completely custom cables incoming)
CPU cooler: Noctua l12s with an A12x25.

This might be a bit

- Size for SFF: 7
Not large not small, but there are improvements possible in terms of space efficiency. Especially with drive mounting. I would try to make all cages interchangeable (at least the one for the top and the one for the bottom). I for example was able to fit the cage for 3 drives under the PSU. Move the mounting on the GPU side a bit more towards the frontpanel (1-2cm should be plenty) that way you can fit a few more of the higher end mini GPU's and the cage should also be a 3 drives cage not a 2 drives cage imo. If the storage situation is improved (3 drives with only the bottom cage, when not using a SFX-L PSU) this would be a solid 10/10.

The following points might sound a bit negative, but I'l talk more about the positives, once I finished my system and have more time. This is more like feedback for macbosco.

- Aesthetics: 8
My top expansion and my frontpanel don't align perfectly. It's only really minor and doesn't bother me that much, but I might try to fix it with some washer. EDIT: Also, you might want to consider using a lower brightness power led or removing the small dot under it and only leaving the glow around the power button.

- Ease of installation: 7
One of the best if not the best SFF case I had so far in terms of first time installation, changing things is a bit of a pain though.

- Price (say for USD 190 full bundle, USD160 base unit only + shipping, for full retail price) 8-10, depending on shipping cost and taxes.
Expensive (or relatively cheap, depending on what you compare it to. Mainly mainstream vs low volume) but justified.

- Finishing (paint work, metal work etc): 6
Build quality is great, but I would suggest using better screws since I stripped the one you need to take out to install the top expansion and was forced to use a dremel to get them out.
It was often a bit difficult to get the screws in generally, though I don't know why. Taking out the screws that were painted over however was a bit of a nightmare. I really would suggest using different screws that can withstand more force for this. If the problem with the screws is fixed this would be at least an score of 8 (still not that big of a fan of the magnetic side panel).
The paint job is great.

- Flexibility: 7
Add a 120mm fan mount under the PSU just because it's possible (would also tie in with the interchangeable drive cages). And maybe make it that you can turn around the PSU for a bit of airflow from the gap behind it when using the glass side panel, currently you can't turn it around, since the on/off switch will interfere with the bracket.

- Compatibility (for your hardware): 9
Small nitpick: couldn't fit all my drives, but I also don't need all of them so I just installed 3 (DR Zaber's Sentry could fit 6 drives with the same system, so there is room for improvement). The flexible radiator mounting is a nice touch.

- Thermals (passive / liquid): 7 (Edit: or 8 might not be as bad as I initially thought)
I've only used air cooling so far. Thermals are generally good, but taking of the sidepanels do still improve the temperatures by more than I would've liked. Not sure what to do without changing the aesthetic to much. I would suggest larger holes and making the perforated area a bit larger (maybe one or two additional row of holes at the top and bottom of the current area on the sidepanel).

- Potential for modding: 10 Your imagination is the limit.

- Cable management: 10 Best in class. That space behind the PSU is perfect for hiding cables.

All in all: FULL recommendation from my side, if the issue with the screws is addressed and even better if the storage situation improves.

Last edited: