Prototype Netzon: Netcase, a console style aluminum case

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
@Netzon like I mentioned over at hardforum, a cout out over the cpu that is usually just screwed in place as part of the panel would be awesome, because users could unofficially increase the clearence if they wanted a taller cpu cooler.

looking forward to your prototype.

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
Sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that!

I do wonder about the size of the cutout. Something that fits the scythe big shuriken maybe?

Reactions: Biowarejak

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that!

I do wonder about the size of the cutout. Something that fits the scythe big shuriken maybe?
Well that one plus
Thermalright axp-100r
Or raijintek Pallas which virtually the same but 8mm taller.

Going taller but still reasonable
Noctua nh-l12
Be queiet dark(shadow?) rock LP

And for the crazy people
Noctua nh-c14s, u9s
Dark Rock TF ( but this thing is super heavy)

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
So, I've been away for a while due to real life obligations that had me travel, so the prototype was produced in my absence and I couldn't get pictures until now.

So, without further ado, here is the first prototype iteration:

Let me know what you think!

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
Looks good just need that stand. How is the inflow of air with such small vents? Does the holes match up over the cpu cooler seems a little offset?

I'll have to measure the temperatures during a benchmark with standard hardware, as the config shown above is with a Xeon E3 and an older generation GPU. The holes do match up though!

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I would consider doing ventilation all the way across the motherboard to better cool all the components like ram, chipsets heatsinks, and cpu. Plus the x299 itx motherboard is right around the corner so people might want to do that.

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
I'll be setting up a test config (waiting for new hardware to arrive) to run some tests, especially in regards to CPU/GPU/Storage temperatures. Hopefully the PC components arrive by the end of this week.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
That looks really nice! I think I'd like it in silver over the black, but the layout is great and compact. I am also interested in the thermals, so I look forward to seeing those.

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
Update: All the hardware is here now. Just waiting for an AM4 upgrade kit for the NH-L9i to arrive, which should be tomorrow or at the start of next week.

The testing configuration will consist of:
CPU: R7 1700
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
Motherboard: Asrock AB350 Gaming ITX (it's the newer one with the thinner heatsinks)
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
PSU: Corsair SF450
Storage: 1x Samsung 850 Evo 512gb, 1x WD 1TB

I'll use two different GPUs for the tests: an EVGA GTX1050ti 4gb and a GTX1080 FE. I will use a riser cable from LiHeat (special thanks to @yawacool for providing samples!) for the testing rig.

I plan on running Prime 95 for CPU temperatures and Unigine Heaven for GPU temperatures for a few hours each, with sensors beneath each disk and one below the motherboard. Are there any other tests you want to see? I have most of the AAA videogames if you are interested in anything in particular.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
im just interested in the prime95 cpu temps, and furmark for gpu to see their maximums and how the case handles the heat