Concept Netzon: Netcube, a ~4l ITX case

Desired maximum length of supported GPU?

• MSI GTX 1070 Mini (175mm)

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Zotac GTX 1080 (Ti) Mini (211mm)

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
Premise
I've been toying with this idea for a while now, and wanted to know what the community thinks about it. Basically, what if we took the S4 Mini and gave it a Dancase style layout, aka having the CPU and GPU coolers facing different sides for intakes while connected via a riser cable? (Shoutout to @Josh | NFC and @dondan!) The idea would be to support ITX motherboards and short GPUs while powering the PC with a Pico PSU/DC-DC solution like the HDPlex or G-Unique, using an external brick.

The Build
I have access to SolidWorks and a sheet metal shop to whip up prototypes. For the material, I was thinking of 1.58mm anodized and powder coated aluminum. For the riser, I was thinking of Li-Heat type A or B.

GPU compatibility
Which brings me to the next point: the main advantage of using HDPlex/G-Unique PSUs would be space savings, which for a case like this means being able to make it shorter. The main limitation is the desired GPU length.

Something up to the MSI GTX 1070 Mini is about the length of an ITX mobo with an HDPlex board next to it, so it would be the most powerful card that fits the smallest possible form factor. The Zotac 1080 Mini and upcoming 1080Ti Mini are 211mm long, and supporting them would mean making the case longer.

What would you guys prefer? Potential 1080 Ti support or a smaller case?

Additional Features?
What else would you guys like to see added? Bottom/Top fans for improved airflow?

jwlarocque

Cable Smoosher
Jan 24, 2017
The shorter form factor is immediately more appealing, but I was thinking it might be possible to support an internal AC-DC PSU (HDPLEX or similar) in the longer form factor (with a short GPU).

I was tinkering with a layout similar to the Dan but with the PSU rotated 90 degrees about the z-axis, making the case significantly less deep. The problem with this is that the case needs to be wider (SFX is 125mm wide, the Dan A4 is ~110mm wide total), but I would build with wood so the extra width was already added.

Anyways, it might be feasible to stuff an AC-DC at the front of the case (with a hole in the center plate) when not using a long GPU.

Reactions: Netzon

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
If you went with the longer GPU option, that would allow fitting a HDPlex 300w AC-DC unit in next to the mobo (feeding the G-Unique unit)...

Two slim 92mm fans up top to exhaust,,,

Reactions: Netzon

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
I checked out the CustomMOD mini, and it has a lot of overlap with my initial idea. So I'm thinking of expanding the functionality.

My idea is to have an open front with modular front panels that offer variable clearance. E.g.:
  • A snug one for shorter GPUs and Pico/G-Unique PSUs.
  • A medium one for slightly larger GPUs, frontal drive mounts or a larger HDPlex unit like the upcoming 400W one.
  • A large one to allow for longer GPUs like the 1080(Ti) Mini and HPlex units like these.
  • A large vented front panel for a small AIO.
This would likely mean moving the power button to the top of the case near the front.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That sounds like a good feature to differentiate yourself. Take a look at the Louqe Ghost S1, they did something like that for the top of their case.

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
The modularity sounds good. In a sense it's like a combination of CustomMOD Mini and the LOUQE Ghost, which isn't a bad thing at all and is unique to your own design.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Seeing as how CustomMod is already on their 3rd or 4th revision I'd say to go with the slightly larger design and build around the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC converter. Having a brickless case that is sub 6L and still super powerful would be awesome.

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
I don't want to distract too much from your vision of this, but would it be possible to have an addon for a custom loop. Instead of the HDPlex 300W, what if it could fit a pump/res like this or smaller: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-ddc-mx-3-1-pwm-incl-pump and use a external power brick w/ G-unique PSU. For the GPU, we have Zotac's full cover waterblock mini 1080Ti. I think a single 180mm radiator should be able dissipate the heat. This could be mounted parallel to the motherboard, it would need roughly 60mm above the CPU waterblock for a radiator and fan.

There really isn't a case that can fully utilize that mini watercooled 1080Ti.

Last edited: