sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Based on the usual model PSU Flex Seasonic SS-250SU

Made for our mini FLEX mini 3.99L case.

The wires are replaced by shorter braids. Added a connector of VGA 8pin and SATA power. The case was repainted. Also we replaced the fan by a quieter from the Noctua NF-A4x10 flx

Result of painstaking work.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Have you tested this PSU under load with the fan? I checked the specifications in the past, and the Noctua has way lower airflow than the PSUs stock fan.

It does look great however!

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
Props to you @sergiiua! Having just sleeved my modular Flex-ATX with paracord, I know how much of a pain it can be. PET is a little easier to work with, but at the end of the day, what you achieved here is incredible, and has just set the new standard for what a sleeved Flex-ATX should look like!

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
As many of you remember, we did modding PSU from #Seasonic SS-250SU. However, as it turned out, wire braiding is not the best solution for a mini enclosure. Install this PSU in the FLEX 3.99L body was impossible due to the hard and massive wires in the braid. Replacing them with softer white wires with a cross section of 18AWG solved the installation problem

elfeck

What's an ITX?
Aug 2, 2019
Nice mod @sergiiua! I want to buy this PSU and only mod the fan to make it less noisy. Could you answer two questions?

1. Since you opened the PSU, would you say it looks like high-quality from the inside?
2. Does the fan have a 3-pin connector? Is it easy to replace it?

Thank you,
elfeck

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This looks great, wow. Nice job! One question: it looks like you split your various wires out from fewer wires inside the PSU, with the splits being crimped together. Is this correct? If so, are the innermost wires solid core or regular stranded wire? And how many wires can you get from one source wire using this technique? And what kind of amperage can a setup like this sustain?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have the the SSP-300SUB which is similar but aside from higher wattage all its cables are detachable but bound to a single 24-pin connector. I plan to make custom cables for my Seasonic since most of them are too long for my case, plus I need a 6+2 pin for my GPU.

The pinout is such that many of the pins have to double up on wires, because they all merge into a single 24 pin at the PSU but the all the end points total more than 24 pins. Conveniently they are also grouped together by voltage, starting from the single +5V FSB, then all the +12V, then all the grounds, etc. I will probably not sleeve these due to the limited room being inside the case.

Reactions: CountNoctua

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
After spending a couple of days using the SSP-300SUB, the biggest annoyance is not the cables, but the fan. For this model it's noisier than I thought.. The 80 plus Bronze model is supposed to have a 0 rpm fan mode under 30% load but I still hear it rev up a lot in light 15% loads according to my wattmeter. Even switching browser tabs makes it rev up. Considering doing a fan swap in this one if it help make it quieter although I don't know if it'll be as straightforward as swapping PWM connectors. Can't tell if it's like most FSP units until I open it up.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
Wouldn't it have been super practical for the cables to exit trough the "top" of the PSU instead of the stock hole? I mean, would allow for less squishing and maybe shorter cable runs.

picov

Chassis Packer
Oct 28, 2018
The 300sub use this fan.

Any suggestion for a good and silent replacement ?

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
The 300sub use this fan.

Any suggestion for a good and silent replacement ?
Sometimes we changed to Noctua, but there is also a risk of overheating since the air flow will be much less.