Concept MK-2 (Sub 6L Watercooled SFF)

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
What does "slightly" mean? How much would you have to increase the dimensions to make it fit?

The case would have to increase in thickness by about 10mm in order to accommodate the AIO in the current radiator orientation which would push the case over the 5L mark. There does seem to be just enough room to mount the AIO to the side panel (rotated 90 degrees from the current radiator orientation) but I am not going to recommend that since I believe airflow would suffer.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Ordered an AM4 bracket for my Asetek pump! Hopefully it fits my pump model! I am still waiting on my HDplex riser and need to figure something out for the water block for the GPU. I am thinking of the EK Theromosphere but it is just very expensive for a GPU die block only...

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Ordered an AM4 bracket for my Asetek pump! Hopefully it fits my pump model! I am still waiting on my HDplex riser and need to figure something out for the water block for the GPU. I am thinking of the EK Theromosphere but it is just very expensive for a GPU die block only...
If you had the gigabyte 1070 mini bykski makes a block that will fit it with a little modding. Just have to shave some acrylic off one side. Which isn't part of the cooling plate.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Hey Zack, what cable length did you use for your G-Unique PSU?

Difficult to say since I have yet to completely install a PC inside the case yet. Your longest cable length will be your power lead and that is 7" straight to the back of the case. I would leave some play in that cable so a length of around 10-12" should be perfect. Your second longest lead will be the CPU power and I would suggest about 8" for that length. All other cable lengths should be about 4" or less since the 2.5 drive mount and GPU power will be directly beside the PSU.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Made the acrylic side panel today. The plan is to offer a base configuration where the window panel will be the same material as the rest of the case (so I can incorporate it on the same laser cut board and simplify the ordering process) and then have the option for a clear acrylic panel of either the top or bottom section.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So an update on plans moving forward....

By this weekend I hope to have all the parts I need to actually build my PC inside prototype one. If that happens I can then run tests on the case in terms of temperatures and airflow to make sure the design is sound. If everything checks out with prototype one I will order a production candidate frame and side panels in order to ensure my stiffening modifications work and to test a different side panel material. I do plan on selling prototype one at about half retail cost if someone would be interested in it and if it passes the full pc test. We are looking at about another 2-3 weeks before full "production" can be started on the retail version.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
So an update on plans moving forward....

By this weekend I hope to have all the parts I need to actually build my PC inside prototype one. If that happens I can then run tests on the case in terms of temperatures and airflow to make sure the design is sound. If everything checks out with prototype one I will order a production candidate frame and side panels in order to ensure my stiffening modifications work and to test a different side panel material. I do plan on selling prototype one at about half retail cost if someone would be interested in it and if it passes the full pc test. We are looking at about another 2-3 weeks before full "production" can be started on the retail version.
Sadly, I would probably do it but my wife would kill me LOL.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
What a Ryzen air-cooled APU system would look like installed in the case!

Just finished bench testing my components and thankfully nothing is DOA! I have also receive everything I need to fully construct prototype one! That will be happening this weekend! With any luck, I should have some initial impressions of a fully built and water-cooled system for you by Monday!

Last edited:

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
What a Ryzen air-cooled APU system would look like installed in the case!

Just finished bench testing my components and thankfully nothing is DOA! I have also receive everything I need to fully construct prototype one! That will be happening this weekend! With any luck, I should have some initial impressions of a fully built and water-cooled system for you by Monday!

I can't see your pictures. Let me see the beauty!

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So some initial observations with building inside prototype one... 3/8" flex line tubing simply will not work. The minimum radius that the tubing must bend is simply to small and the tubing will collapse on itself. 1/4" flex line is the only way to go if you want flexible tubing. Hardline should be ok though as you can achieve very tight bends.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
That is looking crazy good. Do you think you'll switch to hardline tubing later?

I most likely will since flex line is proving to be a real pain.... Well I got some good news and bad news.... Good news is that I managed to fit everything in and bleeded the system.. Bad news is I had a leak around the water pump which got right into the motherboard.... Operation is intermittent so I'm going to let it dry out over night and with any amount of luck it will be working tomorrow.... The coolant is suppose to be non conductive/low conductive so I think that is the only thing that has kept the board from getting completely fried...

Water cooling sucks sometimes.... Haha

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I most likely will since flex line is proving to be a real pain.... Well I got some good news and bad news.... Good news is that I managed to fit everything in and bleeded the system.. Bad news is I had a leak around the water pump which got right into the motherboard.... Operation is intermittent so I'm going to let it dry out over night and with any amount of luck it will be working tomorrow.... The coolant is suppose to be non conductive/low conductive so I think that is the only thing that has kept the board from getting completely fried...

Water cooling sucks sometimes.... Haha
true that, Id say give the fractal kelvin a look see id say itd be your best bet honestly less hassle with the possibilities of leaks

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So as a recap of what I learned today while attempting to create a loop inside this case.... 1/4" flex line is the only way to go for flexible tubing.... I have a combination of 1/4" and 3/8" since all of the fittings I purchased were for 3/8"... Needless to say the case is very packed with tubing and not the most ideal with routing. If my board is indeed dead, it will at least give me a good reason to redo the loop with all 1/4" tubing. Hardline would be the way to go to get the most aesthetically pleasing and for the best cooling flow. The verdict will be in tomorrow on wether I will have to purchase a new board...

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Good news! PC powered up and booted to bios this morning! It still has some time to dry out before I start installing Windows and running benchmarks tonight but it's a good sign that it is not fried...

Also purchased some bitspower 1/4" hose barbs last night so when they arrive I will be redoing the loop in all 1/4" tubing.