Concept MK-2 (Sub 6L Watercooled SFF)

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So I had a thought......

Got inspired while browsing the LZ7 thread...

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Total surface area not including the acrylic panel is about 138 square inches.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@Zackmd1 Would it make sense to move some of these later renders to the first post? They really are nice.

I do plan to update the OP once I have nailed down the final design and move into prototyping of all components.

New render time.... What do you guys think of the new vent pattern for the side panel? This new design significantly reduces the cost for laser cutting.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh yes, for laser cutting this would be waaaaaaay more cost effective. Vent patterns that are a bunch of tiny holes only make sense with punching or stamping.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Ok guys I just purchased a dell da-2 power adapter to replace my Xbox one power brick. I am trying to figure out a way to have the power adapter in standby and turn on with the PC. Does anyone think I can achieve this with a relay? Have the power brick sense wire connected to the pc power button when the relay is off. When the button is pressed the power brick and computer should turn on at the same time, the sense wire on the relay will then receive a 12/5v source from the pico psu and switch the power brick sense wire to a standard ground for continued operation. Anything wrong with this idea?

OurDarkLordSauron

Case Bender
Jun 27, 2017
I'm not so sure on this one as I'm not by any means knowledgeable in this area, but I think the sudden power draw from doing this would overload the power adapter, unless you can figure out a way to delay the pc turning on. Just a theory, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I found this diagram from someone who has figured out a way to switch on the power brick... Problem is I am a mechanical engineer not an electrical engineer so it makes no sense to me.... :\:D

Not to mention the fact that it is in a different language... Hopefully someone else with a bit more experience can decode this!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I found this diagram from someone who has figured out a way to switch on the power brick... Problem is I am a mechanical engineer not an electrical engineer so it makes no sense to me.... :\:D

Not to mention the fact that it is in a different language... Hopefully someone else with a bit more experience can decode this!

I was under the impression that mechanical engineers generally had to have some knowledge of electrical engineering :) but in all fairness it probably depends on the school and whatnot. Anywho, Sparkfun has several tutorials to help you understand most schematics you stumble across.

-edit-

I'll try to decode things once I'm back at my computer :)

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I was under the impression that mechanical engineers generally had to have some knowledge of electrical engineering :)

They tried to teach me but failed... Haha electrical engineering just doesn't come naturally to me like mechanical does. From what I can gather, the schematic shows what I described. He used a relay or from the part number I searched a "DIP-4 Optocoupler" powered by the power LED to switch the power brick sensing lead to a ground when the power button was pressed.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Haha I understand :) that optocoupler is a very neat piece of technology. It lets you signal across two electrically isolated circuits not unlike how an SSR works internally.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Yea so after looking at it a bit more I understand most of it except for the diodes... Not sure why they need to be there? I was also under the impression that the power switch on a motherboard just created a ground point and didn't carry any voltage. The diagram shows +5 volts on the positive side of the power switch where the diodes are connected?

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yea so after looking at it a bit more I understand most of it except for the diodes... Not sure why they need to be there? I was also under the impression that the power switch on a motherboard just created a ground point and didn't carry any voltage. The diagram shows +5 volts on the positive side of the power switch where the diodes are connected?
I would have to assume that diodes serve a purpose, looks like it keeps the +5 and +7 lines from interacting in some way. I am however surprised that there isn't a pull-up resistor on the power switch line to prevent it from being a pure short.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Thankfully I have an old motherboard and i3 processor I can try this out on! That way I don't run the risk of frying my expensive components.