Concept MK-2 (Sub 6L Watercooled SFF)

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So a quick update on the status of this project.

The internal frame is currently on order and being printed by Shapeways. I expect to have the first prototype of the frame by next week. I am working on finalizing the side panels for laser cutting and should be ordering them some time next week as well. If all goes well I should have a fully functional prototype case in 2-3 weeks!

As a question, what material should I make the first side panels out of??? I am torn between gloss white acrylic and blond bamboo!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I am torn between gloss white acrylic and blond bamboo!
Gloss tends to have a "sticky" finish for fingerprints and dust. I'd definitely order a sample if you can in order to be sure. Bamboo sounds gorgeous though!

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Gloss tends to have a "sticky" finish for fingerprints and dust. I'd definitely order a sample if you can in order to be sure. Bamboo sounds gorgeous though!

I am leaning more towards bamboo at this point as well...! You brought up a good point about the gloss acrylic so I will look into samples. I might end up ordering both the bamboo and gloss acrylic to test. The good thing is that I also have the choice of matte black and matte white acrylic if the gloss acrylic does not work out well.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I am leaning more towards bamboo at this point as well...! You brought up a good point about the gloss acrylic so I will look into samples. I might end up ordering both the bamboo and gloss acrylic to test. The good thing is that I also have the choice of matte black and matte white acrylic if the gloss acrylic does not work out well.
I'm sure we'd all appreciate a little sample review :)

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
First side panels have been ordered! Bamboo Blonde sheets of 2.7mm thickness. A bit worried about the stiffness of these panels hey that is the purpose of a prototype right?

Also, I am thinking about moving up my Ryzen build! I am going to stick with my GTX 1060 for the time being but I am considering a build with a Ryzen 5 1400 and 16-32gb of ram depending on if I go with a m.2 drive as well. The Ryzen 5 1600 is nice but it is just overkill for what I am going to use it for and I also have concerns about the power draw of a 1600 and 1060 on a dell da-2 so 1400 it is!

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
First side panels have been ordered! Bamboo Blonde sheets of 2.7mm thickness. A bit worried about the stiffness of these panels hey that is the purpose of a prototype right?

Also, I am thinking about moving up my Ryzen build! I am going to stick with my GTX 1060 for the time being but I am considering a build with a Ryzen 5 1400 and 16-32gb of ram depending on if I go with a m.2 drive as well. The Ryzen 5 1600 is nice but it is just overkill for what I am going to use it for and I also have concerns about the power draw of a 1600 and 1060 on a dell da-2 so 1400 it is!

16gb should be enough, 32 isn't worth the price unless you are rendering in 10k or doing simulations, also haven't seen a big preformance boost after my upgrade to m.2. personaly i'd use the money to upgrade the gpu instead, but there may be thermal and power limit problems in your case that prevent you from doing so?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
16gb should be enough, 32 isn't worth the price unless you are rendering in 10k or doing simulations, also haven't seen a big preformance boost after my upgrade to m.2. personaly i'd use the money to upgrade the gpu instead, but there may be thermal and power limit problems in your case that prevent you from doing so?

I'm looking at non nvme m.2 drives for an increase in drive capacity and a decrease in space required.

I could use 32gb ram for more complex assemblies in solidworks but 16 is working fine right now. I might just end up going for a faster memory kit since Ryzen seems to benefit greatly from it.

While the case could support up to a 1080, my recently purchased Dell DA-2 does not have enough capacity to power a better card then the 1060. So upgrading to a Ryzen 1400 will give me 8 threads (only have 4 at the moment) which should help out in productivity tasks without significantly increasing system power draw.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I assume you're using Ponoko? I got a front panel for Jolokia and as a solid panel it's not too bad, but with a bunch of vent cutouts it may end up pretty flexible.

I am using Ponoko. They seem to be a bit of a pain right now with all of their requirements for the file before you can order. I doubt many could not figure it out without help. Hopefully the panels come out well though!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Haha, indeed. I was expecting something like Shapeways but was sorely disappointed. I exported the lines from my CAD program to DWG then imported it into Illustrator. That took a few tries to get the scaling correct, and then I had to change the stroke width and color to their requirements and export to EPS.

But then I was emailed that the lines were all doubled. So I went back to the CAD file, re-flattened the profile, deleted the doubled lines I'd missed the first time, went through the export and conversion process again, and then emailed the corrected file back. But they were very prompt on the emails even though it was the Sunday of the July 4th weekend and it shipped out on time, so I can't complain at all about the customer service.

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
Are you going to be using G-Unique style PSU's? I was looking at your renders but I didn't see a cutout for the power connector.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
But then I was emailed that the lines were all doubled.

Yeah I just got an email saying my scaling is off. Since I am using inkscape I apparently have to use their templates in order to have proper scaling...

Are you going to be using G-Unique style PSU's? I was looking at your renders but I didn't see a cutout for the power connector.

I am going to be using my modified Pico PSU for the time being since I have it but am considering designing the case cutout for the G-Unique connection. Haven't decided yet though so that is why you do not see a cutout yet. The power connection will likely be mounted just above the graphics card in the empty space between the card and the radiator.

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
I am going to be using my modified Pico PSU for the time being since I have it but am considering designing the case cutout for the G-Unique connection. Haven't decided yet though so that is why you do not see a cutout yet. The power connection will likely be mounted just above the graphics card in the empty space between the card and the radiator.

Sweet! If you do end up using G-Unique, which connector will you use?

He also has the circular connector that is used for the S4 Mini.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Whan are you going to start building? I am so excited!!!

Haha most likely within the next week and a half! Still have to wait for the side panels and frame.

Sweet! If you do end up using G-Unique, which connector will you use?

He also has the circular connector that is used for the S4 Mini.

Most likely the second or third one depending on which orientation fits best!

Last edited:

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
Zack I saw that someone gave you an AIO a couple posts back. I've never done anything watercooling related so do you mind explaining what parts we will need to buy to have a working loop in your case?

Also what parts are you going to use for your test build?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Zack I saw that someone gave you an AIO a couple posts back. I've never done anything watercooling related so do you mind explaining what parts we will need to buy to have a working loop in your case?

Also what parts are you going to use for your test build?

My case should allow for standard water-cooling loop components that you can find many guides for. I purchased an AIO so that I could incorporate the pump and cpu block into one compact unit but the case has roughly 160mm x 65mm x 30mm for a pump/res combo (or HDplex power supply). Other then the pump space requirements, the only other special requirement would be the Alphacool NexXxos XT45 copper 80mm dual radiator. From what I have seen, that is the only 80mm rad that will fit. I plan on using my AIO pump/cpu block with a GPU block and a simple T line used for the reservoir.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Is there any space for some Sata SSD or is it only M.2?

Also will this Pump/Block Fit or will the GPU not allow it?

https://www.alphacool.com/shop/cpu-.../alphacool-eisbaer-solo-2600rpm-black?c=21227

It would really depend on your specific build. That 160mm x 65mm x 30mm could also be used for 2.5 SSDs (about 2-3) as long as the graphics card PCB stays around 180mm or less in length.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like that pump will work. It's to wide to fit in the allotted space. I would suggest this pump from EK. With some slight modification or fancy mounting it will likely fit.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ddc-3-25-laing-ddc-3-25

Food for thought though, you can purchase an entire Corsair h60 AIO for about $60. That would give you a pump that will fit and a couple block.