Production Lazer3D CG7 Cravo - Low profile silent case (slim mATX | mini itx)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
For the sake of coherence, i'll requote myself here:
Well in that case I'd suggest that the flexibility is a major selling point in a niche market, even if it wouldn't fare so well locally. Just my thoughts though.

Reactions: owliwar

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I could do a one on one project on a push of a button
I guess it's what's been done with the Custom_MOD project. Each project receives as much attention as possible, on a case-by-case (pun intended) basis.

I don't know about your marketing plans, so take my comments with a grain of salt. All i know, based solely on my experiences with the brazilian market, is that working with acrylics is waaaaaay cheaper than with metal (any metal, really) and doing business legally will cost you 200~300% of the raw product (materials plus manufacturing proccess) in taxes.

And all after all, i wish you luck and caffeine to get things done, my compatriot.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey. To get back to you, the low profile bracket is indeed, 40mm shorter than the regular height bracket. Screw point is the same, it is just offset in the opposite direction.

For your designs, I think you should pick a vent pattern than you enjoy using, or a style, like organic vents, or geometric vents, and stick with it as your signature look.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hey. To get back to you, the low profile bracket is indeed, 40mm shorter than the regular height bracket. Screw point is the same, it is just offset in the opposite direction.

For your designs, I think you should pick a vent pattern than you enjoy using, or a style, like organic vents, or geometric vents, and stick with it as your signature look.
Thanks for checking! I'll check my dimmensions

yeah I'm having a hard time picking one look actually. I'll do some tests, thanks a lot!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
ok, so I did some research again and found out that there is some micro atx b350 motherboards around 20.6cm wide, and plenty 1151 motherboards as well on that size. based on that I could make the mini itx version 2cm longer to acomodate these thinner Matx boards.
the height will be the same, width the same, just a differnet i/o panel. At around 6.4L

In the location I'm planning on selling these cases, there is some decent 150~160w pico style solutions for the same price as a tfx psu. also theres the KMPKT Dynamo Mini 200 DC-ATX that wpuld be awesome as well!
and at around that power you could fit a low power cpu + a gtx1050 easly. also the micro atx version could be a little cheaper to build, but the mini itx version could go up to 300W in power, in the same space, for a 1050ti and some beefier cpus.

based on that I could make a micro atx version with tfx psu could go up to 300w and 4dimm slots for that sweet workstation ram and cpu core count combo at 8,7L!

any thoughts?

I also did some test renders with my favorite pattern and some color combinations, I'd love the feedback as well!
also wood panel position??

edit for after thought > I gues....the matx version could scale up to atx as well?? just like the itx to matx, a matx to atx with external power brick/

I did the calculations here, It could be done, but is it worth it?

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Since im in this function crysis I worked on the panels and vent design, This is what I've come up with.
The ideia of that front light cutout is that there is a clear backpanel behind the front piece, which will difuse and reflect the interior case lightning.

and more

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Have you considered the space requirements for routing cables? It seems that from your mockups, there is no space allocated to routing cables.
yeah there wasn't. I had to add another 3cm on the side of the mobo because of the sata conectors as well, so now it does have and the MATX case is currently 9.5L

Just sent the files of the mini itx version to prototype.I think its a pretty nice small case, the slim matx option is quite nice and there isn't much I could do more in that space.

on the matx on the other hand I got creative.
and after some feedbacks and measurements, I decided to try fit a full sized gpu there. I knew that by removing the TFX psu I could fit atx motherboard, and that opens up the space for a side mounted gpu.
I'd have to add a support bracket so the end of the gpu wont sag but its a pretty doable layout. there is around 3cm of space between motherboard and the back of gpu
Just like in the mini itx version, this would be achieved by replacing the i/o shield panel and adding a support bracket to the gpu, a pci ryzer and a good external power brick. I think with matx motherboard could also fit a 300w ac-dc converter but I'll have to measure.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Wow, really amazing work. Keep it up!
Thank you! :)

--
In the reddit post I asked for some feedback, someone asked for ODD support. So I gave it a try and i actually liked it. it may compromise cpu cooling but may be OK for most htpc and that without ruining the front aesthetics. (micro atx model)

edit: in the mini itx model it chockes the cpu cooler. i dont think I'll add support to it unless many poeple want it, (also because its so hard to find specs! )

Last edited:

cupofjoakim

Efficiency Noob
Nov 22, 2017
Holy shit, I was beginning to give up hope about finding a case that could fit in to my home. This is the first case I've seen that feels more like a dieter rahms product than a teenagery-tech-monster.

I especially like the first horizontal render, would it be possible to get a render of thatconfiguration but with the fronts in the second and third render? It feels like the inverted wood/metal config or full config might even raise it a bit.

Since im in this function crysis I worked on the panels and vent design, This is what I've come up with.
The ideia of that front light cutout is that there is a clear backpanel behind the front piece, which will difuse and reflect the interior case lightning.

and more

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Holy shit, I was beginning to give up hope about finding a case that could fit in to my home. This is the first case I've seen that feels more like a dieter rahms product than a teenagery-tech-monster.

I especially like the first horizontal render, would it be possible to get a render of thatconfiguration but with the fronts in the second and third render? It feels like the inverted wood/metal config or full config might even raise it a bit.

as a product design student of a Bauhaus inspired college, I fell honored. thanks :)

and you are right! it does look quite nice in horizontal mode

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
WOOOW YOU HAVE MAD SKILLS!!!

What software do you use?
Thanks! :)
I use keyshot for product renders, though I slowing transitioning to blender.
for 3d modeling I use both sketchup and solidworks. I usually build the mockups in sketch up and just export to keyshot/blender for lightning and materials.

(I plan on going masters degree in interior design, so I have to know that kinda of stuff. architecture is my second passion)

rahl07

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017

This bezel front plate,

Horizontal orientation,

With one strip of this color wood in the middle of it. Feel free to branch out with more wood colors too - wood laminates are wonderful materials that are functional and beautiful. They've been making gun stocks from contrasting colors for years, and the black metal/dark wood really brought to mind the classic hunting rifle (for me at least!)

GeSong

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2017
tested new layout. after all adjustments it fits full sized matx and still under 10L. Might go with that one

I really love rgb light

Nice work!. Could you make a itx version based on this structure? Only need two 92mm fan installed on one side as intake and no other holes needed except the vent on the top( when put the case horizontally). Moreover, instead of using the TFX power supply, would modular Flex-Atx be better for a itx version? The ideal cpu cooler clearance would be 83-86mm, in that case, both nt06-pro and Cryorig C1 with a 25MM standard fan can be put into the case. And for itx version, single low-profile PCI-E slot is enough from my point of view because I prefer to install a PCI-E SSD on it. If you're going to make a itx version, just let me know, I'm really happy to buy one from you