Production Lazer3D CG7 Cravo - Low profile silent case (slim mATX | mini itx)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
This bezel front plate,
Horizontal orientation,

With one strip of this color wood in the middle of it. Feel free to branch out with more wood colors too - wood laminates are wonderful materials that are functional and beautiful. They've been making gun stocks from contrasting colors for years, and the black metal/dark wood really brought to mind the classic hunting rifle (for me at least!)
I'll check into that :) Thanks!! love the rifle looks too!

Nice work!. Could you make a itx version based on this structure? Only need two 92mm fan installed on one side as intake and no other holes needed except the vent on the top( when put the case horizontally). Moreover, instead of using the TFX power supply, would modular Flex-Atx be better for a itx version? The ideal cpu cooler clearance would be 83-86mm, in that case, both nt06-pro and Cryorig C1 with a 25MM standard fan can be put into the case. And for itx version, single low-profile PCI-E slot is enough from my point of view because I prefer to install a PCI-E SSD on it. If you're going to make a itx version, just let me know, I'm really happy to buy one from you

Hi GeSong, where do you live?
I'm doing a prototype on the mini itx version right now, the interior layout is like this, but with 2 slot lp pci and tfx psu, the exterior has changed a bit

right now the cpu clearence is 64mm with the top bracket , the cryorig c7 is 47mm tall right? I'm pretty sure you can fit a 25mm 140mm fan on top of it if you remove the c7 fan. ramm clearence is tight tho, around 43mm to 44mm with that setup. this model cannot fit 92mm fans on the sides, only 80mm fans. if you are using single slot pci you could add 2 80x25mm fans there.

At least thats my option for you now, I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

doni

What's an ITX?
Jan 4, 2018
This is an awesome looking project, it basically inspired me to design my own SFF case.

Are you planning on selling this case?

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
This is an awesome looking project, it basically inspired me to design my own SFF case.

Are you planning on selling this case?
Thanks! :)

Yes I am, I'm just making the final adjustments so I can show the first prototype

Reactions: eutholevonik

GeSong

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2017
I'll check into that :) Thanks!! love the rifle looks too!

Hi GeSong, where do you live?
I'm doing a prototype on the mini itx version right now, the interior layout is like this, but with 2 slot lp pci and tfx psu, the exterior has changed a bit

right now the cpu clearence is 64mm with the top bracket , the cryorig c7 is 47mm tall right? I'm pretty sure you can fit a 25mm 140mm fan on top of it if you remove the c7 fan. ramm clearence is tight tho, around 43mm to 44mm with that setup. this model cannot fit 92mm fans on the sides, only 80mm fans. if you are using single slot pci you could add 2 80x25mm fans there.

At least thats my option for you now, I'll see what I can do.

My idea is to move the flex-atx power supply beside the single pci-e slot and have two 92mm fan on the other side of the case as the intake. Also, Cryorig C1 and C7 are different products. I think C1 is 72-74mm tall with a 140mm slim fan (120mm mounting holes on the heatsink). So if you can make the cpu cooler clearance between 83-86mm, I can replace the original fan on C1 with 25mm thick fan. In this case, there are only two places on the case which need holes. And I can simply solve the dust problem with a customized Demcifilter dust filter.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
hi people

I've been double cheking my measurements and as I was making the hardware support list I realized I was a few milimeters off to support the new NH L12s from noctua and amd wraith cooler. Cpu cooling is a pryorit for me, since this case can be a hell of a workstation build, but also because at this size cpu coolers tend to be a little cheaper as well, or 'free' in case of stock coolers. it also add support back to 92mm intake fans and I'm fine with that.

I did some adjusments to the vent pattern that I wast 100% liking and i think its looking a lot better now. and to wrap it all up I made some mockup renders with all the screws in their places, as someone requested in reddit

hope you like it!

current max cpu cooler height is now 73mm with the fan bracket and 76mm without

the brass screw option I just thought it would look cool and its a very simple to DIY or replace. the case will be probably be shipping with black screws

important: the fan mounting points over gpu can hold fans up to around 14 to 13mm if the pci card is actually a full 2 slot card. so its a tight fit but its mostly optional for that configuration. removing the gpu shroud or fans would do wonders to reduce noise.

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
To somewhat echo a comment made earlier by @Thehack, I am concerned that you don't have enough vertical clearance above the add-in boards to accommodate PCIe power plugs, based on some of the images shown.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
To somewhat echo a comment made earlier by @Thehack, I am concerned that you don't have enough vertical clearance above the add-in boards to accommodate PCIe power plugs, based on some of the images shown.
most low profile pci card dont have power plugs, so it should be ok I guess.... but now I realized I assumed this. got to check this out.
to be honest I dont think i ever saw one? maybe in some workstation cards...

Do you have any card in mind? I need to check this out

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hey! Great News!!

So, Lazer3D made a prototype of my case. @K888D made a very good job and I have to make some adjustments here and there but overall its looking promising!
these are the first pictures he took with his phone, don't mind the quality

and some bonus pics. look at that 3rd and 4th pictures!!

anyway, I'm really happy this is coming together :)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
most low profile pci card dont have power plugs, so it should be ok I guess.... but now I realized I assumed this. got to check this out.
to be honest I dont think i ever saw one? maybe in some workstation cards...

Do you have any card in mind? I need to check this out

I completely forgot that you were specifically designing for LP cards. I can't think of any that would need PCIe power at the moment. Thanks for taking my question seriously!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The only ones that have used PCIe power plugs are some very old AMD cards, and the plug was facing the front of the card, not sideways. I wouldn't bother adding support for a short list of old cards.

The most powerful LP workstation cards out right now are the Quadro P1000 and Radeon Pro WX4100. They don't use enough power to need additional connectors.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Thanks a lot for the support everyone! I've just updated the first post with some renders. pics of the prototype and measurements of the mini itx model!

I completely forgot that you were specifically designing for LP cards. I can't think of any that would need PCIe power at the moment. Thanks for taking my question seriously!
no problem! I dont have access to that much of hardware right now. who know what I might be missing right?
The only ones that have used PCIe power plugs are some very old AMD cards, and the plug was facing the front of the card, not sideways. I wouldn't bother adding support for a short list of old cards.

The most powerful LP workstation cards out right now are the Quadro P1000 and Radeon Pro WX4100. They don't use enough power to need additional connectors.
Thanks! learn something everyday right? :)
well, I dont have to worry then.

Cool prototype. Don't forget to update the first page with the latest dimensions :)
Just did! thanks for reminding me.
I'll add the rest as soon as I double check everything
O.M.G. That 5th pic is the dankest TFX case i could ever imagine!!!

As i said before, sign me in as a buyer of that little piece of awesomeness!!!!!!

Thanks a lot cleveland!! :)) I'll let you know for sure

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I'm not a big fan of low profile GPU but I do love the look of this case. The black metal and wood makes such a cool contrast.
sorry for the late reply but Thanks! actually its acrylic. Lazer3D has some amazing material. its the same material used on his cases.

I might do one case for micro atx / full atx with support for full sized gpus. it may take a while, but just so you know :)

Reactions: K888D

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hi people!
Today I've finished the google forms and It would be very helpfull if you replied.

forms link

I'm mostly balancing if there is need for a second layout option or not, and if there is any piece that might not fit here by a mm or two

I'm Also updating the first post with these renders and part support list:

I've remodeled a little the fan bracket so it has more drive mounting points for internal layout flexibility.
I've done some strength simulation in key pieces to make sure all the cuts I'm making wont break under load.
Added c14 support on dc-atx layout panel.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Looks great.

Very nice. Can you try to use countersunk allen screws + finishing washers? Might give it a tidier look than the Philip screws. I also find button head screw also much more clean if you're using machine screws.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Looks great.

Very nice. Can you try to use countersunk allen screws + finishing washers? Might give it a tidier look than the Philip screws. I also find button head screw also much more clean if you're using machine screws.
hmm, I'll see what I can do.

from the results I'm getting from the forms seems like 2/3 will be going with the ac-dc PSU and pretty much all coolers fit the case :) which is nice! So the case won't be getting any bigger.

Someone suggested adding support for 3.5" drives and i gave it a look. it suggested adding a spot over the cpu cooler area

surprisingly, it actually fits with room for a 92mm along it. so I'll be adding support to that as well.

I know its not that practical, but considering how many people will be using this for htpc, I don't think it hurts to add a few screw points. It would look something like this:

there is still room between motherboard and psu for an ssd, if needed. cpu cooler clearece goes to 45mm, and probably 1/4 of the fan could be blocked. but thats where the 92mm fan comes in handy. (I'd personally use a 44mm heatsink with a 92x25mm fan on the bracket so I could have an 4tb internal drive, but that's me)

what you think? like, It would be a significant change? anyone else interested in 3.5" in this size?

Reactions: confusis and K888D

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
3.5" drives need to go the way of the floppy disk :/ 2.5" HDDs are available in significant capacities!
designing with 3.5 drives is really cumbersome *sigh*

I only added support because it fits with a fan on the side without any modifications to the case. but
now that I'm thinking better.. 45mm isn't enough for intel stock cooler. the only real reason to go for 3.5" drives is for really budget system. but then budget systems wont be using a indie case, even thought this case wont be expensive, its certainly going to cost more than any mass manufacture case.

I think adding a 3.5 inch drive because of the price of it then having to add a cooler because the stock one wont fit removes the purpose of the budget option.....

with this in mind, adding 3.5 inch support could be misleading, right?
it would be better to remove support of it at all