KMPKT 3D Printing Service

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm curious about the quality of the parts printed especially since you said they're superior to the Shapeways ones (I'm assuming what they name as "versatile plastic" which is SLS printed). Are the pieces very flexible? The part(s) I'm planning would be long and spindly, usually would be reinforced with acrylic panels but I'd like to see if they can hold up well otherwise.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It's an FDM printer, but a very nice one. I'm not sure what the accuracy tolerances are, but as I recall the parts are stronger because of the filament being largely carbon fiber.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So the Markforged printers use a proprietary filament that they call Onyx which is essentially a nylon fibre infused with chopper carbon fibre. The advantage of this material is increased rigidity, strength and temperature resistance when compared to most other FDM based materials. If you want a better idea of what it can do, I would go watch Thomas Sandlander's review of the printer over on Youtube. Also if you want the material to be extra strong, the printer has the capacity to do fibre inlays of carbon fibre, fibreglass or kevlar. I know that a 1/2" thick link of the material with carbon fibre reinforcement can suspend a 22,000 lb cement truck.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018

As some of you may know, I recently purchased a Markforged Mark Two 3D printer to meet KMPKT Design's prototyping and production needs. Having put the printer through its paces, I would now like to offer printing services to the smallformfactor.net community. This unit prints extremely high quality and high durability parts in both Markforged's proprietary Onyx material (chopped carbon fibre infused nylon) as well as Nylon. It also has the capabilities to inlay carbon fibre, kevlar, fiberglass or high-strength high-temperature fiberglass (useful for injection molding parts) to create incredibly light weight and strong composites. Specifications are as follows:​

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

BUILD VOLUME
320 mm x 132 mm x 154 mm

PLASTIC MATERIALS
Onyx, Nylon

FIBER MATERIALS
Carbon Fiber
Fiberglass
Kevlar
HSHT Fiberglass (High-Strength High-Temperature Fiberglass)

Z LAYER RESOLUTION
100 micron

If you want to know more about the machine, there is a great review from Thomas Sandlanderer here:

You can learn more about Onyx here:

We are currently planning to offer printing in Onyx for 0.75 USD per CM3 plus shipping. There may also be a nominal service fee that is as yet undetermined to account for time and labour requirement in running the machine. If you wish to use Carbon Fibre, Kevlar, of Fiberglass, I am happy to give pricing for composite parts on a case by case basis.

While I live in Canada, I have my unit residing with @Josh | NFC in the USA. As such, all printed parts will ship from inside the states which will hopefully be beneficial for a large number of our members. If you are interested in using my services, please PM me directly and we can chat about specifics. I will update this thread as needed with FAQ and other pertinent information.
Hello!
It is even cheaper for a part compared to my local makerspaces' 3D printing service, with better quality! Thanks for providing this unique service to the community! I wish you good luck on this venture and hope you have no hassles!
By the way, what file types do you accept? I know that both you and Josh are busy people, and may not have time to deal with foreign file types. So, would it be a good idea to send STL files only or do you accept other file types as well?

Finally, would printing out a single copy of the Open Bench Table for personal use count as IP infringement? It is open source, but I'm not sure if it still counts as intellectual property assuming personal use..

Thanks!
-el01

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
.STL is required for the printer.

If you can get @Trouffman to provide a file and permission to print it then I'd consider the job. If not then it'd be a no-go. Sorry.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I'm just curious. Assuming you had a 3D printer like this of large enough size to print the S4M, how much would it cost to print a case of that size out?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
We are currently planning to offer printing in Onyx for 0.75 USD per CM3 plus shipping. There may also be a nominal service fee that is as yet undetermined to account for time and labour requirement in running the machine. If you wish to use Carbon Fibre, Kevlar, of Fiberglass, I am happy to give pricing for composite parts on a case by case basis.

While I live in Canada, I have my unit residing with @Josh | NFC in the USA. As such, all printed parts will ship from inside the states which will hopefully be beneficial for a large number of our members. If you are interested in using my services, please PM me directly and we can chat about specifics. I will update this thread as needed with FAQ and other pertinent information.

If you can send me a .stl file I can give you an exact quote. Doing so without a file to throw into the software is pretty difficult.

But most importantly: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/kmpkt-3d-printing-service.6736/#post-85702