KMPKT Nomad Micro STX Build Log

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

I'd like to introduce you guys to the KMPKT Nomad Micro STX enclosure. Measuring in at 200mm x 145mm x 70mm (exactly 2.0L), it is around 25% smaller than the stock Deskmini GTX enclosure. The case was designed around maximizing airflow and optimizing volume/weight to performance ratio. The case will accept coolers < 50mm in height and for this build I intend to use an L9i heatsink paired with a BeQuiet 92mm x 25mm Silent Wings 2 PWM Fan.

As I've alluded to in the past, I have a couple of side projects on the go and in this build log I am excited to show you one of them (actually part of one of them). I've ordered and now received this case which was 3D printed on one of Shapeways' new HP Jet Fusion SLS Printers. I look forward to sharing the results with you guys once I start assembling and then finishing the build in the coming weeks. For the record I did try producing this case on my Markforged Mark Two with the hopes of selling it as a limited run production case. While the quality and strength of the print was actually quite decent, the intricacies of the mesh were just too much for an FDM printer to handle while the sheer amount of support material required was unnecessarily wasteful.

Because of the strength and relative rigidity of HP's Jet Fusion 3D printed nylon, the case is surprisingly strong/resilient and accurate to the design. The hardware has been very easy to fit and all screws were able to be used without fitment problems.. The mesh, while pliable, is very tough and does not feel prone to snapping. I am confident that I will be able to provide ample protection for the internals in standard use cases.

As you can see, the rear of the case is much more dense/rigid and as such provides the structure for securely mounting the motherboard as well as housing the various connectors. While you can't see it on this image, there is a full and proper I/O cutout on the rear of the case for the DeskMini's included shield as well as the three display outputs.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Kmpkt Is this brickless? If it is, my current project (which I haven't yet posted, still a cardboard model) just BARLEY beats this.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Looks very interesting!

I would say, keep pushing the boundary of your design as 3D print you are less limited in your shapes.

However, wouldn't be quite expensive? Unless shapeways have recently decreased their cost, something that size would cost $120 to print.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
However, wouldn't be quite expensive? Unless shapeways have recently decreased their cost, something that size would cost $120 to print.

It's actually a fair bit more than that as I had it printed in "Professional Plastic". Ultimately it came out to a hair more than 400 USD.

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
Maybe you can turn the printed parts into a mould (mold, American spelling?) to reduce the cost for sale?
Alternatively Shapeways does have a store for creators to sell their parts through Shapeways but the end user would have to spend some time applying a finish to case to protect the part.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
To be honest I partially did this print to evaluate the quality of the HP Jet Fusion's parts for likely future use and I've got to say it's pretty amazing. Furthermore I have some amount of government funding for the overarching project that this enclosure is a part of, so it's not like I am out of pocket for its cost (although given the quality I think I would consider buying it regardless).

While the Markforged printer I have does beautiful prints and certainly has the potential to make substantially stronger parts through its composite printing functions, the accuracy and detail on the HP print is simply amazing. I really hope that as the cost to 3D print inevitably comes down that this is how custom case makers can ply their trade. What I envision is a composite built case that combines simple and cheaply made metal parts (ie. frame, motherboard tray) combined with beautifully printed and customizable 3D printed panels. In the future if things work out this is the kind of system I would love to help create for our community.

Also worth mentioning is that similar technology is due to hit metal 3D printing next year and could revolutionize fabrication in the years to come. To give the uninitiated an idea of what should shortly be possible, check out this video:

330mm x 330mm x 330mm build volume and virtually no limitations on your creativity. Impressive as F...

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
To be honest I partially did this print to evaluate the quality of the HP Jet Fusion's parts for likely future use and I've got to say it's pretty amazing. Furthermore I have some amount of government funding for the overarching project that this enclosure is a part of, so it's not like I am out of pocket for its cost (although given the quality I think I would consider buying it regardless).

While the Markforged printer I have does beautiful prints and certainly has the potential to make substantially stronger parts through its composite printing functions, the accuracy and detail on the HP print is simply amazing. I really hope that as the cost to 3D print inevitably comes down that this is how custom case makers can ply their trade. What I envision is a composite built case that combines simple and cheaply made metal parts (ie. frame, motherboard tray) combined with beautifully printed and customizable 3D printed panels. In the future if things work out this is the kind of system I would love to help create for our community.

Also worth mentioning is that similar technology is due to hit metal 3D printing next year and could revolutionize fabrication in the years to come. To give the uninitiated an idea of what should shortly be possible, check out this video:

330mm x 330mm x 330mm build volume and virtually no limitations on your creativity. Impressive as F...
Agreed on how amazing the parts from the HP are. We considered the HP machine for my work. But it was way too large to fit into our space.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Agreed on how amazing the parts from the HP are. We considered the HP machine for my work. But it was way too large to fit into our space.

Are you running fancy industrial prototypes?

I think this industrial class of use is very interesting. You are not limited by assembly, CNC or molds. You can build parts from the inside out!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Are you running fancy industrial prototypes?

I think this industrial class of use is very interesting. You are not limited by assembly, CNC or molds. You can build parts from the inside out!
We design custom packaging.
Yes, some items such as bottle closures can use the intricate detailing on the interior (eg, tiny vents, latches, threads, etc. geometry that can be made with injection molding via slides and lifters, but would are too expensive to prototype.)

Reactions: owliwar