KMPKT Nomad Micro STX Build Log

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
To be honest I partially did this print to evaluate the quality of the HP Jet Fusion's parts for likely future use and I've got to say it's pretty amazing. Furthermore I have some amount of government funding for the overarching project that this enclosure is a part of, so it's not like I am out of pocket for its cost (although given the quality I think I would consider buying it regardless).

While the Markforged printer I have does beautiful prints and certainly has the potential to make substantially stronger parts through its composite printing functions, the accuracy and detail on the HP print is simply amazing. I really hope that as the cost to 3D print inevitably comes down that this is how custom case makers can ply their trade. What I envision is a composite built case that combines simple and cheaply made metal parts (ie. frame, motherboard tray) combined with beautifully printed and customizable 3D printed panels. In the future if things work out this is the kind of system I would love to help create for our community.

Also worth mentioning is that similar technology is due to hit metal 3D printing next year and could revolutionize fabrication in the years to come. To give the uninitiated an idea of what should shortly be possible, check out this video:

330mm x 330mm x 330mm build volume and virtually no limitations on your creativity. Impressive as F...

Is this case brickless?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
No, unfortunately, it is currently necessary to use an external brick for this build. That being said I've played with the idea of merging a pair of HDPlex 80W inside the enclosure and seeing if I can run everything off of 160W (1060 and 7700 or 7700T)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
No, unfortunately, it is currently necessary to use an external brick for this build. That being said I've played with the idea of merging a pair of HDPlex 80W inside the enclosure and seeing if I can run everything off of 160W (1060 and 7700 or 7700T)

My current project uses an HDPlex 80w with a ryzen embedded board, at 1.98L. The Highest speced board needs 54 w, so plently of room for drives, ram, etc.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
My current project uses an HDPlex 80w with a ryzen embedded board, at 1.98L. The Highest speced board needs 54 w, so plently of room for drives, ram, etc.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but how are you planning on getting this work? Put a barrel jack on the hdplex 80w and loop the cable out of the case and into the boards dc input or solder directly to the board?
If your successful I'd be really interested is hearing details as the only thing putting me off an m-stx system is the external power brick (and the lack of a socket Ed am4 board) at the moment.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Sorry to go off on a tangent but how are you planning on getting this work? Put a barrel jack on the hdplex 80w and loop the cable out of the case and into the boards dc input or solder directly to the board?
If your successful I'd be really interested is hearing details as the only thing putting me off an m-stx system is the external power brick (and the lack of a socket Ed am4 board) at the moment.
If the board is the Sapphire FS-FP5V, it has a 4-pin 12V EPS connector next to the barrel jack on the board. Either can be used to power it.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

The Ryzen Embedded board has a internal 4-pin connector. I wish the intel ones did. Also, the boards not socketted. The chip is embedded in the board.

view this post, upper right hand corner of picture: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sapphire-amd-ryzen-v1000-apu,37408.html

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
The Ryzen Embedded board has a internal 4-pin connector. I wish the intel ones did. Also, the boards not socketted. The chip is embedded in the board.

view this post, upper right hand corner of picture: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sapphire-amd-ryzen-v1000-apu,37408.html

Aye aware that it's embedded just hoping someone takes the plunge and makes a socketed one with a similar form factor (using sodimms makes it much easier to make a passive or low profile case and smaller foot print is always appreciated).
Ohh hadn't spotted the 4-pin that's brilliant and makes it much more attractive, a pity it isn't a more common feature, cheers for the heads up.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Love the aesthetics @Kmpkt.

As mentioned by others a socketed AM4 stx mobo is really what I would want to pair with this. Internally powered while we’re at it. Great pocket PC that looks cool as hell.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah. I am hoping with AsRock being an AMD GPU partner now that we might see a stronger desire to move these platforms over to Team Red. I have an RX580 I intend to test against the 1060 at some point and am hoping the performance is comparable. If so, an RX580 variant of the DeskMini would likely allow a substantially lower price point.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just got my RAM and Z270 STX board in today. As soon as I get my GTX 1060 which apparently is coming by boat from New Zealand I will post updates.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Sorry for the massive delay in updating this build log but life has been incredibly heavy over the past six months or so. Let me know what you guys think.

First off here are the original renders of the case:

And here is the case fully printed and the build sequence I went through putting it together:

Here is the Z270 Motherboard I've been sitting on for this build (Triple x4 M.2 slots differentiate if from the B250 version).

Three slots obviously means I need to have three drives. Plan here is to run Windows 10, Mac OSX and Ubuntu each on a dedicated bootable drive:

Here's what the bare motherboard looks like mounted inside the enclosure:

Originally had an i7-7700 for this build but it died on me so I replaced it with a 7350K for the time being. Hoping to upgrade this entire system to Ryzen 2 and a 3080 is AsRock can pull things together at CES:

For cooling on this unit I will be using a custom black nickel coated Deepcool HTPC-200. I had tried a Noctua L9i previously but I think it actually occupied too much space and choked the GPU cooler. I have noticed a significantly quieter GPU since swapping to a smaller cooler:

Mounted on top of the HTPC-200 is the excellent Noiseblocker 80 x 15 fan:

Next to be installed are 2 x 4GB sticks of HyperX SoDIMM RAM

And a sleeved Bulgin switch with wires/header salvaged from a Deskmini 110 I killed a couple months back:

Everything installed and ready to be closed up:

2.3L of gaming goodness:

Forgot to add the antennae:

And all set up at my desk: