Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
10dba?? i don't know your reference...for me a quiet office area is around 30dB..:D

I guess you just want very low noise output...on idle or also on load? Do you need sli?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
In your case, it's cerberus-x, not cerberus that you need...but in near future when it will be available.

You can do 2x240mm while using compact/combo :
  • Psu sfx sx800-lti placed on rear panel
  • Cpu waterblock/pump like apogee drive ii that fits a full ddc pump and apogee waterblock (you will need to have tight exit tubing)
  • On bottom : swiftech combo radiator 240mm(MCR220-QP-RES-R2) and reservoir with dual fan in pull
  • On front : any 240mm/30mm radiator with dual fan in pull
While waiting for cerberus-x, you can train & pick up identical parts and put them in fractal design define c..:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Are you sure? The rad is 299.2mm long. Won't the front rad interfere with it?
O yes..@Aibohphobia did try it :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...s-the-18l-matx-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-12

Based on this trial :
  • Flip radiator with reservoir heading to top
  • For SLI compatibility, you have to use Cerberus-X and not Cerberus
  • Adding this radiator/reservoir on bottom, even on Cerberus-x, adding a second 240mm radiator is still a tight fit..:D

Reactions: Phuncz

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Thanks but even with this pic I still can't visualise how this and a front 240 rad can be mounted at the same time. The internal height of the X is only ~330mm isn't it? The height of this Swiftech rad + fans + fittings is already around 100mm I think. Maybe I am missing something and just not seeing it.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Cerberus-x is 381mm tall, so it should be a 240mm front rad, but a small one....if not feasible it's always possible to reduce to 140mm

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
But 381mm includes the feet and the dead area at the top. So I think 240 at the bottom + 140 at the front is the best we're ever going to get, for a dual GPU system. Still not too sure about a single GPU system.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I will try to measure effective height inside cerberus-x on my build...also considering i've a 240mm radiator at the bottom..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well let's start with theorical drawing :

So for cerberus-x, you have 299+61=360mm internal height (infinite vents are measuring around 335mm, from my measure).
Cerberus-x has also 329mm internal depth (same as cerberus). As in case of rear PSU, you can remove front sfx psu bracket...full height is available.

Let's switch to bottom swiftech rad/res :

Let's put reservoir on pci bracket side, and fan in pull mode on top

For front radiator, let's consider alphacool Nexxos ST30 as baseline :
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...xxxos-st30-full-copper-240mm-radiator?c=20545
dimensions : 278 x 124 x 30mm
You put hose on top, 15mm thick fans in push mode oustide the case

I case you have it..:D

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Thank you very much for the effort!!

So that leaves 48mm for the right angle elbow fittings on the bottom rad, which also needs to clear the fans. It does sound possible now with the fittings pointing to the sides of the rad. Or worst case, use slim fans instead.

15mm thick fans in push mode oustide the case
Does that work? How much space is there between the front panel and the frame? Because the front panel is solid with no holes, I am worried that the fans won't work properly.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Let's switch to bottom swiftech rad/res :

Let's put reservoir on pci bracket side, and fan in pull mode on top

For front radiator, let's consider alphacool Nexxos ST30 as baseline
dimensions : 278 x 124 x 30mm
You put hose on top, 15mm thick fans in push mode oustide the case

Seems reasonable actually (fans inside instead of outside in this quick photoshop)
is this a hard or soft tubing project? I imagine the pathing for the bottom rad would be the hardest part if it's hard tubing

Reactions: MarcParis

MaskedNozza

Chassis Packer
May 4, 2017
Hey there. Long time, no see.

I'm guessing we still don't have a date when production will begin or even a rough estimate? Nor do we have a rough pricepoint as far as I can see? I guess if you want a niche product then patience is a virtue.

In any case, my Cerberus build is intended to be a bit of a beast (that's an in-joke for my stream viewers). A 980ti with a slight overclock, particularly if that can help with getting more out of my encoding chip, and a 7700k breaking that magical 5Ghz mark for benchmarking under apocalyptic usage, but probably 4.2-4.5 for regular use. I can use the EK monoblock because I have the Strix Z270G. I will need to get a modular PSU because mine is currently enormous and non-modular (but yay for platinum!) and probably sfx silverstone or corsair, but suggestions are welcome.

My current issue is being able to fit enough cooling into the case (external components are a no-go since it will be moved fairly often, hence my love of the case handle) while still having a beautiful showcase build with the side panel window and uv-rgb lighting (uv because of uv-reactive decal and other internal pieces). That much horsepower is going to output a lot of heat and I understand that. Currently my PC is not exactly quiet by any standard, and I don't really care that much up to a point because I have some pretty strong software filters on my microphone. I can't utilise some of the mounting areas for rads because I have 2x 3.5" drives for storage (m.2 boot drive ftw!) and the psu also needs somewhere to go. Is there any way I could fit a 240 on the side bracket and maybe pump-res attached to a 120mm/140mm fan on the bottom?

Any assistance with my build is greatly appreciated. Any estimates on production or pricing are also welcome.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I may do a dual-graphics card solution in the future, though not for some time probably, and I also have an internal capture card - Elgato HD60 Pro.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, with your equipment (matx board), only cerberus with be compatible (not the -x version).

If you have 3.5" hdd, and plan to go to sli or dual card, you simply has to go to air. Noctua c14s with 2000rpm fan will be clearly enough to cool core i7 7700k, even oc (especially if delidded)

There is no way to go on watercooling as you will need space for storage and expansion cards.

Ps : as far as i remember, cerberus price should be around 250$ in serial. Prototype was around 400$.

Reactions: MaskedNozza

MaskedNozza

Chassis Packer
May 4, 2017
Well, with your equipment (matx board), only cerberus with be compatible (not the -x version).

Wait. So the -x is not compatible with MATX? My cousin wanted to use an MATX board but the -x case because of extra space for other components.

If you have 3.5" hdd, and plan to go to sli or dual card, you simply has to go to air. Noctua c14s with 2000rpm fan will be clearly enough to cool core i7 7700k, even oc (especially if delidded)

There is no way to go on watercooling as you will need space for storage and expansion cards.

But I REALLY REALLY want to do my first custom loop in this case. It's just so perfect. The stars have aligned and all that. Is there simply no way to fit a 240 rad on the side bracket? It looks big enough from what I can see. And there was a picture on the front page of a rad in the front despite having a full-length graphics card. Is this simply not possible? Again, I don't mind noise (I can always get quieter fans if it's really bad) and I don't mind components running a bit toasty. I used to have a laptop that would get to 90C on the CPU and 105 on the graphics card running original Skyrim (super overkill mods though).

Ps : as far as i remember, cerberus price should be around 250$ in serial. Prototype was around 400$.

Thanks for that. That sounds far more reasonable than the $700 someone said once. That's USD, right? I'm in Australia so that would probably come to $300 or just over, plus a fair bit for shipping. [wallet groans inwardly]

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nope, cerberus-x is only compatible mini itx and atx, not matx.

I still what is advantage of custom loop just to cool cpu...pretty useless. Custom loop shines when you watercool'both cpu and gpu...but cerberus-x is best suited for dual aio, one to cool cpu, another to cool gpu...with 240radiator.

Check my cerberus-x below. You can see my "custom" watercooling loop, that is mixing best world of performance of watercooling and size of aio..:)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Wait. So the -x is not compatible with MATX? My cousin wanted to use an MATX board but the -x case because of extra space for other components.
sadly, no. The standoffs on both cases are permanent. Cerberus will only mount mATX boards and CX will only mount ATX boards.

I forgot to mention that I may do a dual-graphics card solution in the future, though not for some time probably, and I also have an internal capture card - Elgato HD60 Pro.
you might want to check your motherboard setup if you still want the capture card with the two GPUs in the same box (assuming you're having a Z270 mATX board). either go the USB capture card route / second PC route / in-driver GPU stream route when the time comes.

EDIT: oh right the GPUs would be watercooled as well. that'd make them single slot each. pleh.

240 rad on the side bracket
well if you're sticking to mATX:
- 240mm on side (the hinge): interference with SFX PSU (unless you mount it like a fan below. this one's untested and not standard, also gotta check wall cable and PSU cable lengths)
- 240mm on bottom: interference with second GPU
- 240mm on front: PSU must be mounted on side over CPU. either cool the CPU with the shared single 240mm rad, or (not ideal) low-profile CPU air cooler, or (on the side bracket) use a SFX-L PSU and see if you can squeeze an extra 120mm rad on the remaining space (a whole lot of plan before you buy, but still highly unlikely space-wise)

EKs used for example:

we just had a discussion on watercooling with the ATX CX above, so maybe have a look again? Also you'd be able to keep your capture card with an SLI setup on an ATX

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
As you mentionned, you can make put only ONE 240mmx30mm rad in standard Cerberus case.

After you can watercool both cpu and gpu with only one 240mm radiator...but i don't see the point of it as gpu tdp will be limited to ~180W (like GTX 1080 fe) and cpu not OC...this could be done on full watercooling, but it's rather pointless versus full aircooling on such TDP.

Watercooling is useful on CPU with TDP/power >140w (Ryzen, delidded kabylake & skylake-x) and GPU at TDP>200W (highly OC GTX1080, GTX 1080ti, RX vega 56/64)...below, just choose aircooling..:D