Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Oh speaking of which, what's the widest length for a larger than ATX motherboard to still be able to fit in CX? previously the Asus X99-E WS (267mm) could fit without the SFX PSU mounting frame, but a quick check finds the Asus Prime X399 being 269mm wide

(probably asked before, but I'll ask anyway and search the thread when I get to a desktop) And would there be enough clearance for a rad and fan mounted on the front? Not sure if the motherboard power socket would interfere with them

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Idk if Volta & the PSU will be out when the case becomes available but here it goes:

Kimera Cerberus X (or close alternate)
mATX mobo (x16/x16/x4)
2× 960pro 2TB Nvme ssd's
2× Nvidia Titan XP Liquid Cooled (or volta)
I7 7820x liquid cooled (7900x too hot)
32GB 2666 DDR4
FSP Hydro PTM+ 1200W ATX PSU Liquid Cooled
2× 240mm EK Radiators
D5 Pump & resivoir
5× NFA-14 Noctua fans

The entire point is to be as quiet and compact as possible with SLI. I will not be overclocking. I still need to run some #'s to see if these, or other, quiet fans move enough air and have a good enough staticP.

The smallest fractal case given as an alternative, Fractal c mini, is 33.4L! Is this really the next smallest? The Thermaltake G3 is only 23.5L but it doesn't support the length of the liquid cooled PSU (220mm long) and I can't add another radiator for some reason.

Anthony, I agree, I'm not into the RGB craze, I just don't get it. I like to game at night and all that flashing/pulsing/glowing light is irritating. I do enjoy a nice UV liquid coolant though, as long as it's cold cathode lighting has an on/off switch ;)
Warning : cerberus-x is compatible ITX and ATX (eATX is psu on rear bracket) but it's not compatible mATX.

With your setup, as you want full sli of titan xp watercooled with x299 cpu, and 1200w atw psu with custom wc...i don't know if you will have place for tubing, pump and reservoir..:)

Please remember you will have only 48mm height clearance between psu and cpu with psu on rear bracket.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but please double check your setup before..:)

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Aug 23, 2017
I don't see published K cerb X specs and limitations anywhere. Anyone got em?
Thanks for the info MarcParis, do you know what case would be size comparable to K cerb X and still fit the 220mm long psu?

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Aug 23, 2017
So it looks like either the case is out or the liquid cooled PSU, hmmm... its sad how hard it is to find a small case to fit a complete liquid loop in (psu included).

I suppose I'll go with a way overkill PSU like a 1200W and expect to run at half-load for quiet fan operation. Does anyone know the length accomidation for the PSU?

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Power supply support
  • SFX (H x W x D: 63.5 x 125 x 100mm)
  • SFX-L (H x W x D: 63.5 x 125 x 130mm)
  • ATX (ATX frame only, any length)
(For the regular Cerberus, taken from their website)
Well, well..i will put some counter balance on psu compatibility :
  • Sfx-l on front position : be careful with gpu length on 1st pcie..could interfere with cable
  • Atx on rear position : be careful of cable, cpu clearance is only 48mm

Reactions: Biowarejak

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Aug 23, 2017
Thats pretty tight, thanks folks you all are pretty helpful. I saw the BeQuiet 1200W is 11dBa @ 50% load. Ill continue to look for one quieter but that may be the ticket.
L×W×D: 193 x 150 x 86

What do you guys/gals mean by ATX frame only? Is this without the cables? Im going liquid so I imagine ill have enough cpu clearance.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thats pretty tight, thanks folks you all are pretty helpful. I saw the BeQuiet 1200W is 11dBa @ 50% load. Ill continue to look for one quieter but that may be the ticket.

What do you guys/gals mean by ATX frame only? Is this without the cables? Im going liquid so I imagine ill have enough cpu clearance.
essentially, it's a different SKU of case that supports ATX, rather than supporting SFX.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Atx psu could be placed only on rear bracket..and atw psu cables are truly an issue...
A good picture is better than long sentences :

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Ugh, it looks so beautiful. Can't wait to get my hands on it, do a custom color job, make a full tempered glass window. I don't care if I have to use zip ties XD

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Aug 23, 2017
Hey MarcParis, thanks for posting that picture, that really helps put things in perspective.
So is there enough room to really run 2×120mm radiators, liquid cooled cpu and 2×liquid cooled gpus?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Hey MarcParis, thanks for posting that picture, that really helps put things in perspective.
So is there enough room to really run 2×120mm radiators, liquid cooled cpu and 2×liquid cooled gpus?
It'll be very tight. I have an AIO in mine right now with an SFX PSU mounted on the back and its okay. Hoses put more pressure on the PSU than I was comfortable with when I had an ATX PSU mounted there.

I plan on picking up a couple coolstream SE's here in the next few weeks to see if I can get two 240's to fit. The bottom PCIE slot with a low pro rad and fans is literally within millimeters. With fittings it'll be tough but I have faith.

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Aug 23, 2017
You will definitely have to let us know how that works out. I am in a crunch and need to build my pc soon (end of October) so I might not get to enjoy this case which really bums me out. That and for some unknown reason, no one has released an mATX 2066 motherboard yet! There are tons of ATX boards but no mATX, what gives?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
You will definitely have to let us know how that works out. I am in a crunch and need to build my pc soon (end of October) so I might not get to enjoy this case which really bums me out. That and for some unknown reason, no one has released an mATX 2066 motherboard yet! There are tons of ATX boards but no mATX, what gives?

I haven't updated my thread in some time cause I bought a house right after the case but I have a few older pics.

The EVGA x299 board Is out https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=131-SX-E295-KR

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Aug 23, 2017
I like the SFX PSU's but their fans are so LOUD, it defeats the point of the entire liquid cooling loop for me (as quiet as possible). I'd like more info on your ATX PSU setup if you have the time. That and when you stuff a second 240 Radiator in there.

btw: your setup looks beautiful, thanks for sharing. Do you know of any other released mATX 2066 boards?
It looks like several have dropped, they have just been out of stock haha

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I like the SFX PSU's but their fans are so LOUD, it defeats the point of the entire liquid cooling loop for me (as quiet as possible). I'd like more info on your ATX PSU setup if you have the time. That and when you stuff a second 240 Radiator in there.

btw: your setup looks beautiful, thanks for sharing. Do you know of any other released mATX 2066 boards?
It looks like several have dropped, they have just been out of stock haha
That's why i went to sfx-l, fan noise is noticeably less than on sfx..:)

But even with sx800-lti, it would be tight to power properlly sli of titan xp+x299 cpu...but if you accept light oc, it could work..:)