Production J-HACK PURE X - 4.3L LP GPU chassis with FLEX support

MassZERO

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2019
Just asking will this case support this size of. Video card...

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Just asking will this case support this size of. Video card...

No. Only half height GPU. That is full height.

Reactions: Thehack

2bitmarksman

Chassis Packer
Feb 17, 2020
Been a hot minute, but finally got all the parts I needed. SATA powers ran incase I feel a need to double-stick tape some additional SSDs. PCIe slot is free for Anything else I feel like I need to stick in there, but this homelab is setup pretty nicely. 4c/8t, 128 GB of RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x10G NICs. Last thing this needs is some rubber and plastic washers for those 3 fans, they got some serious vibration happening.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Been a hot minute, but finally got all the parts I needed. SATA powers ran incase I feel a need to double-stick tape some additional SSDs. PCIe slot is free for Anything else I feel like I need to stick in there, but this homelab is setup pretty nicely. 4c/8t, 128 GB of RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x10G NICs. Last thing this needs is some rubber and plastic washers for those 3 fans, they got some serious vibration happening.

How do you like that flex psu? It looks like the flex guru right?

PS, that cpu cooler is absolutely tiny.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

What size are those case fans? How did you attach them?

2bitmarksman

Chassis Packer
Feb 17, 2020
@Thehack The PSU works alright, but due to mounting holes, you have to have the cable bend face towards the case wall rather than towards the motherboard. This actually works out as it is just the perfect fit if you use wall anchors as ziptie mount points and can keep the cables run under the power button and the excess on the PSU's wall over the RAM.

Also, the cooler is an active 1U CPU cooler. Fan is 50mmx10mm but it's really not that loud, and it keeps the CPU well cool (it's a 35w CPU). I'd want to replace it, but the way it's mounted would require taking the cooler completely off and this isn't a friendly board to do that. The backplace is stuck on the back with adhesive and it's direct on die cooling (SoC board), so uneven pressure while mounting or dismounting could crack the die and would kill any warrenty I got. So I'll probably do it in like a year or something for fun :)

@smitty2k1 The case fans are 50mmx10mm. They're the Fractal Silent Series R3's, but due to mounting hard plastic and screws to hold the fans in place, there is a lot of vibration. I've already ordered some additional Noctua rubber fanmounts to quiet that up in the coming month. I'd have gone with Noctuas if they made a 50mm size, but unfortunately the closest size I could get would be 40mmx10mm and that'd be less effective without some plastic piece to cover the vents on the sides. The fans are mainly to get some airflow for the 10g Nic or to cool an addin card if/when I feel like adding one without obstructing it

@Jello Thanks!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack The PSU works alright, but due to mounting holes, you have to have the cable bend face towards the case wall rather than towards the motherboard. This actually works out as it is just the perfect fit if you use wall anchors as ziptie mount points and can keep the cables run under the power button and the excess on the PSU's wall over the RAM.

Also, the cooler is an active 1U CPU cooler. Fan is 50mmx10mm but it's really not that loud, and it keeps the CPU well cool (it's a 35w CPU). I'd want to replace it, but the way it's mounted would require taking the cooler completely off and this isn't a friendly board to do that. The backplace is stuck on the back with adhesive and it's direct on die cooling (SoC board), so uneven pressure while mounting or dismounting could crack the die and would kill any warrenty I got. So I'll probably do it in like a year or something for fun :)

@smitty2k1 The case fans are 50mmx10mm. They're the Fractal Silent Series R3's, but due to mounting hard plastic and screws to hold the fans in place, there is a lot of vibration. I've already ordered some additional Noctua rubber fanmounts to quiet that up in the coming month. I'd have gone with Noctuas if they made a 50mm size, but unfortunately the closest size I could get would be 40mmx10mm and that'd be less effective without some plastic piece to cover the vents on the sides. The fans are mainly to get some airflow for the 10g Nic or to cool an addin card if/when I feel like adding one without obstructing it

@Jello Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!

Concerning your fan situation, a single 80 mm fan will perform just as well as 3x 50 mm likely. Give it a consideration.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
@Thehack
1. how can one mount SSDs in the case in the GPU area ??
2. is there a pci slot cover available with the case if a GPU is not being used ??

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack
1. how can one mount SSDs in the case in the GPU area ??
2. is there a pci slot cover available with the case if a GPU is not being used ??

1. I can provide a 3 ssd plate, please pm me your order #.

2. No there is not. I'll see if it is possible, but I'm very busy to take on smaller projects.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
2. No there is not. I'll see if it is possible, but I'm very busy to take on smaller projects.

I have slot covers I can use, am I correct in assuming the case cover provides the clamping force to the PCI brackets on the GPU ??
Also, what is the width of the GPU chamber from the outer edge to the m/b edge

2bitmarksman

Chassis Packer
Feb 17, 2020
I have slot covers I can use, am I correct in assuming the case cover provides the clamping force to the PCI brackets on the GPU ??
Also, what is the width of the GPU chamber from the outer edge to the m/b edge

I can take a look into this for you if you want. I got some LP brackets I can test with. Also, I'm assuming you're referring to the amount of space from the edge of the motherboard to the inner side of the case?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If is about 44 mm total slot space, so 2.2 slot.

If you measure from the edge of the motherboard, it is about 38 mm to the flange.

2bitmarksman

Chassis Packer
Feb 17, 2020
Got around to replacing the screws on the 50mm fans with some Noctua NA-SAV4 rubber fan mounts. The tinning noise is virtually gone and is identical both in noise profile to when I was using 2 Noctua 40mmx20mm fans (I suspect whats left is coming from the CPU fan and PSU). It was a big challenge though getting these fanmounts to correctly mount and not break early during installation. I would highly recommend mounting the fan with 2 screws first, mount 2 rubber fanmounts, remove a screw, replace with rubber fanmount, and then remove and replace the last one to get the best overall stability during replacement. This is already a very cool and quiet system, so I see little point in really going for replacing the CPU or PSU fans, but might give it a go in a few years once the warranty is void anyway and just as a for fun thing :)

Last edited:

duq

Chassis Packer
Apr 4, 2020
I am considering the Pure X but I do have some questions:

Can it be put upright, tower-like?
Can the Shuriken 3 be rotated, to have fins showing towards case fans? If not, why not, what should be modified?
Why do we need special brackets for different cards? I would like to use a 10GbE card.
Shuriken 3 is specified to 69mm, so with some motherboards it would be to high. Can I consider every AM4 board compatible?

Thank you

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I am considering the Pure X but I do have some questions:

Can it be put upright, tower-like?
Can the Shuriken 3 be rotated, to have fins showing towards case fans? If not, why not, what should be modified?
Why do we need special brackets for different cards? I would like to use a 10GbE card.
Shuriken 3 is specified to 69mm, so with some motherboards it would be to high. Can I consider every AM4 board compatible?

Thank you

Yes, the fins can be rotated but it depends on your motherboard layout.

For single slot card there is no restriction. For dual slot, there was a mistake in making a cut during production, so I provide an IO cover to compensate for the problem.

I think it is possible that the Big Shuriken is measured a bit generously. You can also exchange the screws. If you specify that you need screws for big shuriken 3, I can provide some since I have some on hand. The stock screw it comes with with also adds height.

2bitmarksman

Chassis Packer
Feb 17, 2020
Got an Icydock 6x2.5" SSD optical drive replacement, if the Pure Base was 0.5" wider and a bottom chamber measuring about 1 and 7/8ths to 2" deep, then you could fit 2 of them and have a pretty interesting SFF NAS setup. Would be interesting being able to fit a dual slot PCIe card, 3 x 50x10mm fans, and 16x2.5" SSDs into under 7 liters

Last edited:

dnpp123

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019
Hi, I have 2 questions on that case:

- would it fit a Noctua L-12S?
- any AMD GPU one can buy now is supported? (even really low end)
- possible to have 2 2.5HDD instead of the GPU? (or 1 3.5HDD?)

if that's the case would be interested in getting 2 (one with 3950x + GPU, one with 3700x with SSDs as a server)

thanks

Last edited: