Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm just confused by the options 3 to 8 pin, I assumed people are using 3 pin, but then noticed the ones josh was selling are 4 pin?
what are people in uk using? just 3pin GX16 connector?

Just ignore it. You only need 3 pin. He means you can use a 5 pin and just leave them unconnected.

Why is everyone mentioning the GX16? Wouldn't the GX12 fit without modification?

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Just ignore it. You only need 3 pin. He means you can use a 5 pin and just leave them unconnected.

Why is everyone mentioning the GX16? Wouldn't the GX12 fit without modification?

I wish I had known about the GX12 before I drilled my case from 12mm to 16mm... Oh well!

And btw, still no shipping data in my tracking number... and back to waiting some more modus...

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018

I have no idea about this stuff lol. so then, GX12-3 is the same but smaller and will fit?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I have no idea about this stuff lol. so then, GX12-3 is the same but smaller and will fit?

Yes. It's a 12mm outer diameter connector. The 16 in GX stands for 16mm. Has everyone really been only looking at the 16mm version? o_O I thought that was kinda weird.

You can really use any 12mm circular connector. The main thing is to ensure the AC side is insulated/shielded from contact. The power entry side is the one with the pins. You notice this on regular AC connectors, like C13 where the pins are on the power entry side.

I made a big shebang about how using ungrounded power supply several pages ago.

I'm actually designing a chassis that can accommodate this psu internally, and a regular C6 grounded power cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2018
for space reasons, i'll only answer your 1st part right now.

i do not recommend C8.

you'll need either a C6 [ mickey-mouse ] or GX-16 connector, in order to be grounded.

if you still need answers to anything else, just let me know.

For safety I stuck with C13 anyway since thats obviously grounded.

With a C6 port - I assume it isn't a case where I can 'simply' expect to de-soldering the C8 to C6 and expect it to fully work right?

I feel like its a lot more complex than that.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2018
correct.

not correct.

the part of a SkyReach case which prevents HDPLEX AC-DC installation, because its too tall, is referred to by Josh as the " flange " .

one option shown in Josh's youtube video, is to remove this flange with a metal-cutting tool, & then raise your sidepanels approximately 5mm.

this also allows installation of a BlackRidge [ https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-hslp-48-a-powerful-sub-50mm-heatsink.2387/ ] ,or CryOrig C7 copper heatsink.

-------

I assume josh's video show cased it at one point though - I may need to revise it.

19NinetySix

Trash Compacter
Jun 28, 2018
No, I mean making sure you use the right connector for the AC side. The GX12 comes with two assembly, one to be placed inside the chassis, and one to be attached to AC power cord.

So would just cutting the end off the C13 that comes with the hdplex be ok to solder on to the GX12 for ac side
then cutting end off a power lead and soldering that to the side of GX12 for power cord?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So would just cutting the end off the C13 that comes with the hdplex be ok to solder on to the GX12 for ac side
then cutting end off a power lead and soldering that to the side of GX12 for power cord?

GX12 has a strain relief bracket. Just make sure it fits inside the strain relief. Some AC cords can be quite thick.

But yeah. That's how you'd modify it.

Reactions: 19NinetySix

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
Mine showed up today! Can't wait to figure out my build with it. Possibly going i7 8700 and a 2070 mini. I'll try to remember to post something when I'm done. This project is a long time in coming but so worth it. HDplex and NFC systems ftw!

cornut

Caliper Novice
Jan 28, 2019
I used the PSU for a RTX 2070 build. I removed the plate on the PSU but I didn't have to. It fit with the cable I used (kareon 8 pin to 8 wires: https://kareonkables.com/products/8-ultra-low-90-degree-6-pin-pci-e-adapter-cable ). I still removed it since Josh talked about thinking it'd cool better using the GPU's fan compared to the PSU's included fan (fingers crossed). No grinding/modifying, the build was easy. Currently, I don't have an AC plug installed, I'm currently using the standard PC/3-pin one with it dangling out the back until I decide which route I go.

GPU is the INNO3D RTX 2070 Twin X2

Last edited:

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
My 330W Dell brick seems to kick the can now during anything other than casual web browsing.

Just purchased the HDplex 400W brick and Custom Ultra-Low PCI-e cable from Kareon Kables.

Going to go with C8 connector when the parts arrive.

Hope the next Mini revision/design is engineered with a C6 connector option in mind as opposed to the current C8

Below are dimensions for the two in case anyone was wondering....

C6 Dimensions
Series: 2561

C8 Dimensions
Series: 2577

(Disclaimer: I don't believe this is the exact same Shurter C8 connector sold on the NFC site - it's damn close though -, so please use for reference only)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Hope the next Mini revision/design is engineered with a C6 connector option in mind as opposed to the current C8

Good news: it is!

<snip>
There are slight modifications. Adding support for aftermarket panel attachment so you can lasercut your own panels and not have to drill and tap the frame. Also per customer request widening the c8 cutout to support c5 jacks.
<snip>

Big thanks for embedding them side by side like this - turns out it was right that mounting holes of C8 and C6 do have the same length, just the opening needs to be slightly bigger.

Protools

Average Stuffer
Oct 10, 2018

I tried installing in a ghost s1, doesn't quite fit. back to SFX PSU for this one!
at the moment the AC-DC and DC-ATX is just hanging there. just to test this out.

I'm getting coil whine even not under heavy load.
I ordered 3 sets in case of this, so I'll try my other ones...