Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Any experience with this? https://kareonkables.com/products/8-ultra-low-90-degree-6-pin-pci-e-adapter-cable

is that along the lines of what would be needed for brick-less EVGA 1060 (side power connection)
I would worry about those heatfins dumping heat directly into the ACDC.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Take my money!!

I wish, i'm still waiting to get quotes back on the extruded aluminum. I finished modeling it in Fusion 360. It's a fairly simple piece, but it would be a super low run, so idunno. I'm excited but i'm preparing myself for a giant number that squashes my dreams.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Hopefully it works out. It looks great and saves significant size over the Dell brick while presumably being better over all.

Win-win.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I guess i just don't understand the hype about brickless builds. It sits on the floor next to my surge protector. I never notice it's there unless i go looking for it. How does that bother people so much? Think about all that excess heat a PSU puts off that is now completely outside the pc case.

I could kind of understand brickless 1050ti builds. It's such low power, it doesn't really matter. But high power builds make a lot less sense to me.

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
I guess i just don't understand the hype about brickless builds. It sits on the floor next to my surge protector. I never notice it's there unless i go looking for it. How does that bother people so much? Think about all that excess heat a PSU puts off that is now completely outside the pc case.

I could kind of understand brickless 1050ti builds. It's such low power, it doesn't really matter. But high power builds make a lot less sense to me.
1) For me the purpose of buying S4M instead of, say, Dan-A4 is an ultimate opportunity to unplug 3 wires off the case, drop it in the backpack and travel to another workplace that already has a c8 connector laying on the table for me. No "pick up brick, wrap wires around it, place it safely in the backpack" fuss, just one brickless case, simple as that.
2) By far not anyone has a brick laying next to surge protector. I love minimalism and try to keep all wires hidden under the table with some ikea tools. That way I avoid wire cluster near the socket and near the case. Detaching brick from under the table every time I need to move is a hell.

For me a brickless Gigabyte GTX1080 build is a total H Y P E, the less stuff I need to put in a backpack and less time I need to spend repluging it - the happier person I am.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

the added portability, novelty, etc. I'd love to have my 7700k 1080 mini be internally contained within my S4M-C someday if PSU AC-AC and DC-DC tech advances and they get smaller.

Epinephrine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 11, 2017
Is no one gonna mention the inevitable noise which will come with this PSU? Fan starts to spin at 200W, and the RPM will only pick up under heavier load. As far as operation loudness goes, this looks like server-rack-tier PSU.

Don't get me wrong, I love my old-gen 400W AC-DC but this just seems as step backwards.

Last edited:

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
1) For me the purpose of buying S4M instead of, say, Dan-A4 is an ultimate opportunity to unplug 3 wires off the case, drop it in the backpack and travel to another workplace that already has a c8 connector laying on the table for me. No "pick up brick, wrap wires around it, place it safely in the backpack" fuss, just one brickless case, simple as that.
2) By far not anyone has a brick laying next to surge protector. I love minimalism and try to keep all wires hidden under the table with some ikea tools. That way I avoid wire cluster near the socket and near the case. Detaching brick from under the table every time I need to move is a hell.

For me a brickless Gigabyte GTX1080 build is a total H Y P E, the less stuff I need to put in a backpack and less time I need to spend repluging it - the happier person I am.

Idunno, i guess if you move your computer frequently. I might take my computer with me someplace once a year, MAYBE. So the 5-10 extra min of packing the power brick doesn't really bother me.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Is no one gonna mention the inevitable noise which will come with this PSU? Fan starts to spin at 200W, and the RPM will only pick up under heavier load. As far as operation loudness goes, this looks like server-rack-tier PSU.

This unit is very high efficiency (>94%) and as a result requires vastly less airflow than comparable server grade power supplies (ie. Flex ATX). The fan that is currently slated for inclusion with the 400W AC-DC is the GDSTIME 30 x 10mm DC Fan which operates at 24.9 dBA

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-p...ooler-Fan-2Pin-3010-30mmx10mm/2019235028.html

I am also hoping to provide a 3D printed adapter kit for the Noctua NF A4x10 FLX

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-flx

Considering it ships with a 3 to 2 pin adapter and maxes out at 17.9 dBA with vastly more airflow than the GDSTime, the PSU should effectively be silent.

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Idunno, i guess if you move your computer frequently. I might take my computer with me someplace once a year, MAYBE. So the 5-10 extra min of packing the power brick doesn't really bother me.
I take mine with me to work, pack, then unpack and install it twice every workday. It almost never leaves my side, lol.

I'd kill for the ability to get rid of the external power brick

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I reckon the next step is to provide a power followthrough for the monitor so you don't need a cable/brick for those either : )
Actually I dont have a brick on any monitor I use, they all have internal PSUs. And at work I have the entire place the S4M-C goes all presetup and spaced out and wired up, so i dont have to bring any HDMI, Ethernet or USB cables, my set of peripherals and cables are all there, so i literally plop down the S4M-C and plug it in... while also unpacking the power brick and hooking it up.

So losing the powerbrick, for me and my daily usage of the S4M-C would be a godsend, I aint about to buy a 2nd power brick... lol. Because id still have to pack one and unpack it for when I take it to a friends house, lol.

Reactions: Biowarejak

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Really wishing the next gen GPUs would hurry up and get here so that we can see what kind of mini powerhouses we could jam into the S4M, A4-SFX, etc. They'll likely be going the route of bumping TDPs a bit to allow for higher performance per tier, while keeping cooler dimensions relatively similar, relying on more gradient power management and fan tuning to make up the difference. Making 400W units even more relevant.
Has anyone been compiling a spreadsheet of card dimensions across brands? It can be a bit daunting constantly having to dig into every brand's individual card spec pages to identify what GPU can or can't fit in with a given radiator thickness/fan combo. Especially when some of these brands have over a dozen variations of the same damn GPU! I'm not afraid of a little work, but come on! How could one company possibly effectively differentiate between 14 different versions of the same GTX 1070!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Naavjames and Kmpkt

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I have done a fair amount of research into larger cards for a case I've been slowly working on and could contribute those numbers. I think it would be pretty awesome to do a master spreadsheet/sticky on these forums of all cards currently on the market and would be more than happy to co-contribute if you'd like to get it off the ground.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
I think it would be pretty awesome to do a master spreadsheet/sticky on these forums of all cards currently on the market and would be more than happy to co-contribute if you'd like to get it off the ground.
That would be awesome!
I'm building spreadsheets all day anyway, may as well do one that helps others. If you want to send me whatever you have in terms of gathered metrics, and whatever other metric suggestions you have, I can finish grabbing info, throw together a chart/table and see how best to post it.
I find that you don't know exactly what metrics are really worth tracking until you're at least halfway through gathering, so I usually try to grab everything I can and pair down as necessary.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
That would be awesome!
I'm building spreadsheets all day anyway, may as well do one that helps others. If you want to send me whatever you have in terms of gathered metrics, and whatever other metric suggestions you have, I can finish grabbing info, throw together a chart/table and see how best to post it.
I find that you don't know exactly what metrics are really worth tracking until you're at least halfway through gathering, so I usually try to grab everything I can and pair down as necessary.

Not sure if it helps, but back in the days of the NCASE M1 ver 1.0 there was a big Google sheet compiled and linked over on the Hardforums thread. It was specific to the M1 and started back in the GTX 780 days, but I wouldn't be surprised if people were still contributing to it.