Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
@Josh | NFC This makes a lot of sense as an external brick, but how would this work inside an S4M? The fastest card you can get that is standard height and not too long is the Galax 1070 which is impossible to find in the US. So other than that, your talking about 1060 builds. This seems like overkill for that sort of thing, or am i missing something?
400w would be good for an i9-7980XE + GTX1060 (Peaks being 250w + 150w).
Probably also good to not run the PSUs at max capacity, right?
Cooling that i9 is another story...

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Larry has okayed me to share a few more things so here goes:

This makes a lot of sense as an external brick, but how would this work inside an S4M?

Width is being narrowed to 57mm for this release which means it should fit inside the front panel of the the S4M. This will of course provide ample space for overheight cards such as the Gigabyte 1080 ITX.

HDPLEX 800w????

Yep. Larry has been working on this for a while. Basically you can use two of the new 400W AC-DC units to power this bad boy.

Also where I think this thing will really shine is that it is being engineered to handle momentary spikes of up to 520W. PLEASE do not confuse this as meaning you can run the unit with a power budget of 520W, but instead that hardware that tends to spike a little more violently (ie. R9 Nano) would be able to be run within a 400W power budget and have some headroom to run.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
So as much as everyone wants to focus on the obvious pairing with the amazing S4M, and seriously @Kmpkt , thanks a lot for the direct collaboration with @Josh | NFC, but what about other applications in the SFF space? We've got this great budding SFF marketplace with SFFLAB, Chimera Industries, etc. lets get some more collabs going!
With the 800W DC-ATX in particular, it feels like we are stepping farther and farther out of the reasonable realm of the S4M and more into SFX-less Project Orthrus, Cerberus, or Mach One territory.
@LukeD @PlayfulPhoenix Any thoughts on this? Possible bracket/placement R&D efforts in the near future?

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Exactly. This psu looks very promising for any number of sff applications and is looking like a tremendous step forward in the sff psu space.

Good stuff.

Reactions: br3nd0

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
Here's a video of the unit running a Furmark/Prime95 dual stress pulling upwards of 350W:

Also will be shipping with a C7 compatible and has extremely low current leakage at 0.16A (I believe this means shock risk is virtually nil but perhaps @Thehack could clarify.
Ho boi, can't put into words how excited I am, f5'ing this thread for almost 4 months and here it goes.
I really hope to take one at the trip to gamescom, but I understand chances are it could easily be postponed to later times.
News about narrowing unit down are also amazing.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Man with all these power supply developments going on right now I feel like we need to create a Wiki to cover them all... SFX, SFX-L, TFX, Flex-ATX, AC-DC 12v, AC-DC 19v, internal bricks, external bricks, DC-ATX plug in boards, HDPlex, GUnique, PicoPSU, KMPKT Dynamo... the list goes on.

I'm so confused.

Reactions: MurphyLyfe

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Here's a video of the unit running a Furmark/Prime95 dual stress pulling upwards of 350W:

Also will be shipping with a C7 compatible and has extremely low current leakage at 0.16A (I believe this means shock risk is virtually nil but perhaps @Thehack could clarify.

For standard "safe equipment" is 500uA. That is 0.0005A.

However this is a stringent requirement for hospital level systems. For consumer class systems it depends on your local requirements, but anymore than a few mA is bad.

Add on: I would check your test set up and if there's something wrong with it as 0.16A is unusually high.

Last edited:
Reactions: aquelito

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
My main question is overheight GPU support in an S4M. Will this fit with a ZOTAC 1070 mini or will I need to use a Gigabyte single fan model to fit?

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
None of the diagrams show an overheight card with an internal brick, but I will take your word for it and keep a dremel handy.
Pretty sure he didn't mean with one, though I could be mistaken. Take a look at the other high end builds in the forum and see how they pulled it off :)

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
Pretty sure he didn't mean with one, though I could be mistaken. Take a look at the other high end builds in the forum and see how they pulled it off :)
That's what I figured. There is some breathing room in between since my current build has an EVGA 1050 ti, which has a nameplate on the top edge, which uses up that space, so it will be interesting to play with once this AC-DC converter comes out.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
That's what I figured. There is some breathing room in between since my current build has an EVGA 1050 ti, which has a nameplate on the top edge, which uses up that space, so it will be interesting to play with once this AC-DC converter comes out.

Yeah my bad ; I resolve to stop answering notification alerts without reading the thread for contex. Sorry!

You can't fit a Zotac mini with an HDPLEX 400 AC-DC (internally) no matter how much dremeling you do. :(

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
Darn, doesn't seem like the AC-DC internal will fit in the front If I get the Gigabyte 1080 mini, and replace the fan/shroud with x2 fans via Skybracket duo. Maybe a 120 + Skybracket? Hrm...

Last edited:

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Width is being narrowed to 57mm for this release

I'm in the process of making an accessory for this, and i just want to make sure i have the right dimensions. Final dimensions will be 57x40x180mm?

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I was just looking at the specs for this and the drawings on the HDPlex site show a polarized C8 connector. However, C8 connectors are not polarized as part of the IEC 60320 standard, although they do seem commonly available.

I'm trying to source a C8 polarized panel mount, but I can't seem to find one. The power cords themselves seem easy enough to source. In the USA if it matters.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I was just looking at the specs for this and the drawings on the HDPlex site show a polarized C8 connector. However, C8 connectors are not polarized as part of the IEC 60320 standard, although they do seem commonly available.

I'm trying to source a C8 polarized panel mount, but I can't seem to find one. The power cords themselves seem easy enough to source. In the USA if it matters.

It is because the polarized one is C6. Search for C6 Power Entry.