Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Naavjames

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2018
Barring any last minute design changes, the HDPlex 400W is going to measure 190mm x 57mm x 40mm. The attachment ears will be modular instead of built in and will add another 15mm should you choose to use them. The supply has been designed specifically to fit on the bottom of the S4M when using a reference height card or alternatively on the front of the S4M when using an ITX length cards. I am hoping to work with @Josh | NFC to make a 3D printable adapter bracket for mounting the unit securely inside the S4M. If we can get the adapter kit made, then I will be using it for my Orangulan 2.0 build. It should play VERY nicely with the Dynamo combo in this setting.

Just got back from a trip to Greece, and I think this news is the best part of all. #sff-thug-life

Selendipitous

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2018
Ooh.. the 1060 I have has its specs being 173mm. I'll have to visit home sometime to actually measure it myself, as I've also no clue how tall it is, but it looks like removing the shroud might be needed in the future... Or just selling the card and getting one more truly ITX in size. Hmmm.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I appreciate all the work you're doing :)

Johnboy

Chassis Packer
Aug 4, 2017
I'm having an issue with the HDPlex 400.
I had some stuff laying around: An old 2600k (not overclocked), some memory and one ASRock Z77-E ITX. Assembled everything up inside a Silverstone SG08 with a brand new 1080 Mini and I was happy for about a month. It started yesterday, my setup just turns off when I start playing games. I'm using a Dell brick 330w ( I have two bricks because I have another HDPlex 160w in a basic setup). The HDPlex just turns off when the power drawn goes over 220/240w (measured with a Kill-A-Watt). The brick stays on for some seconds and then die too. I tested with the another brick and it's not different, same result. Anyone having the same issue? Any ideas what's the culprit? I'm tending to believe that's a HDPlex problem otherwise what are the odds 2 power bricks with the same trouble.
Thanks for any help.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm having an issue with the HDPlex 400.
I had some stuff laying around: An old 2600k (not overclocked), some memory and one ASRock Z77-E ITX. Assembled everything up inside a Silverstone SG08 with a brand new 1080 Mini and I was happy for about a month. It started yesterday, my setup just turns off when I start playing games. I'm using a Dell brick 330w ( I have two bricks because I have another HDPlex 160w in a basic setup). The HDPlex just turns off when the power drawn goes over 220/240w (measured with a Kill-A-Watt). The brick stays on for some seconds and then die too. I tested with the another brick and it's not different, same result. Anyone having the same issue? Any ideas what's the culprit? I'm tending to believe that's a HDPlex problem otherwise what are the odds 2 power bricks with the same trouble.
Thanks for any help.
Sorry friendo, this thread about the upcoming 400watt AC/DC converter, not the DC/DC board. I'd link to the appropriate thread but I'm on mobile and that's time consuming.

Anyhoo, would this brick run cooler than the 160watt variant if powering the same load? Might jump to it if that's the case.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Considerably so, yes.

Gotta say, I am curious how you guys managed the thermals in this thing. The HDPlex 300 watt ACDC brick would get hot and die under my GTX 1080 load, in a larger package than you have suggested here.

Reactions: Beardedswede

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Also for those of you worried about fitting this adapter inside your case, I am working with a certain someone to design a 3D printed external enclosure. At 0.43L it is literally half the size of the Dell 330W.

1- any timeline projection for a public release?

2- a sealed enclosure or vented? If vented, any fans?

Reactions: Beardedswede

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
We'll need to get a 400W AC-DC prototype before we can model anything. The 400W will have either a 12V or 5V fan header for cooling as well so we'll likely try to find a compatible fan to help keep things cool.
Good to hear, some active cooling makes a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: Biowarejak

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
The supply has been designed specifically to fit on the bottom of the S4M when using a reference height card or alternatively on the front of the S4M when using an ITX length cards

So if I'm going to buy a Gigabyte 1080 mini, which seems to exhaust out the front in addition to the rear (thus benefiting from a 3D bezel), will there be issues with the internal adapter overheating, or will the adapter's fan be sufficient in keeping itself cool?

Or I guess that'll be answered after the prototype testing?

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2016
hey guys, i'm always on the look out to shrink my builds of course, so this is interesting to me... but i really don't get these type of PSUs -

reading this thread and others with the talk of active cooling, multiple power units, external enclosures... things catching fire :-D....

is there really a space savings over just using a sfx or sfx-L PSU? is it because youre able to distribute the components around the case more? or move volume to an external brick/enclosure? or work in a flat-style case like the skyreach mini?

TheDrewscriver

Cable Smoosher
Jun 13, 2018
hey guys, i'm always on the look out to shrink my builds of course, so this is interesting to me... but i really don't get these type of PSUs -

reading this thread and others with the talk of active cooling, multiple power units, external enclosures... things catching fire :-D....

is there really a space savings over just using a sfx or sfx-L PSU? is it because youre able to distribute the components around the case more? or move volume to an external brick/enclosure? or work in a flat-style case like the skyreach mini?

Space savings is mostly it, I would say. Things like the 400W ac-dc adapter that HDPlex/KMPKT are working on is small enough to fit in a skyreach mini. Now, the whole setup is smaller than the smallest build possible with any other SFF case. In my case, I am planning on attaching my upcoming case to the back of my monitor stand, making my whole setup smaller so I can work in a smaller space.....

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017

The size difference is significant especially for a NFC case. The wall/actual power source -> AC-> DC-> internal components is the chain to be resolved. The chassis size of a NFC case would not permit your average PSU or SFX PSU. The S4 chassis is the size of a ream of paper. The Dynamo and HDplex DC units punch far beyond their weight for example, and deserve credit.

I'll be building a skyreach mini with a HDplex 400w and a Dell AC brick myself most likely this year. Now, some see the external brick as a bad or unwanted compromise but I'm fine with it. Heat in particular is lower. It's almost console nostalgic. My MSi 1070 itx might be too long to allow the TBA HDplex AC-DC unless they are slimmer than the out going models.

Reactions: Biowarejak