Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

TheDrewscriver

Cable Smoosher
Jun 13, 2018
The size difference is significant especially for a NFC case. The wall/actual power source -> AC-> DC-> internal components is the chain to be resolved. The chassis size of a NFC case would not permit your average PSU or SFX PSU. The S4 chassis is the size of a ream of paper. The Dynamo and HDplex DC units punch far beyond their weight for example, and deserve credit.

I'll be building a skyreach mini with a HDplex 400w and a Dell AC brick myself most likely this year. Now, some see the external brick as a bad or unwanted compromise but I'm fine with it. Heat in particular is lower. It's almost console nostalgic. My MSi 1070 itx might be too long to allow the TBA HDplex AC-DC unless they are slimmer than the out going models.

From previous posts, I think the newer 400W ac dc might be slim enough to fit in a s4 skyreach, so that you can have everything fit in the case. As for dell adapters- I bought one off ebay, and it might be defective, since it causes my PC to randomly restart. Can't wait for the new AC adapter, since I trust HDPlex/G-Unique stuff more than I trust ebay sellers.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
hey guys, i'm always on the look out to shrink my builds of course, so this is interesting to me... but i really don't get these type of PSUs -

reading this thread and others with the talk of active cooling, multiple power units, external enclosures... things catching fire :-D....

is there really a space savings over just using a sfx or sfx-L PSU? is it because youre able to distribute the components around the case more? or move volume to an external brick/enclosure? or work in a flat-style case like the skyreach mini?
Depends on the type of case. If you want do have a case like the other guys talk about. Xbox form factor. It's great. If you build a ncase m1, ghost S1. It's not really needed if you don't do some special setup for some reason. :)

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
From previous posts, I think the newer 400W ac dc might be slim enough to fit in a s4 skyreach, so that you can have everything fit in the case. As for dell adapters- I bought one off ebay, and it might be defective, since it causes my PC to randomly restart. Can't wait for the new AC adapter, since I trust HDPlex/G-Unique stuff more than I trust ebay sellers.

I can only hope it's able to work with 175mm by 129mm but, hey, we're lucky for anything. That Dell brick is hit or miss genuine or knock-off. Not a first choice for a dream machine, I agree.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
There are plans to do an externalization kit for the HDPlex 400W AC-DC so you can use it as a brick (may or may not come to fruition). As far as the 400W's dimensions, it will be 190mm x 57mm x 40mm.
maybe add bigger heatsinks if it's use for external? Would be nice to avoid fans if possible.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I would imagine this year. I am hoping to receive prototype units before the end of the summer and if everything checks out I don't think there would be too massive a lag time between prototyping and production.

Reactions: Nichronos

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
Some rough math based on other built S4's and common positions of the AC-DC units : HDPlex 160w AC-DC at the end of a MSi 1070 itx would be ~ 5mm or so into the GPU cooler and with the new 400w AC-DC width going up would be ~ 11mm too far into it I think. I don't know if it's in the 'cards' for me but I'd want to make it work if I can and can't wait to see it either way. I'm not sure it would fit on the other sides, though it might, depending on space available. Hmm...

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
I might have not have done that right
I recently read Josh and Kmpkt discussing 'it' (MSi 1070 Aero ITX) just not fitting with the HDPlex 160 AC-DC on one side only I believe!

A powerful 400w DC unit, and a beefy new 400w AC-DC that pairs with it is definitely something to get excited about.

Selendipitous

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2018
If you have a true Mini ITX GPU, you should be able to fit the 400W AC-DC and 400W DC-ATX. If your GPU is greater than 170mm in length OR greater than 111.15 mm in height, you might have an issue with fitting both.

Going back to this! I've got some specs on hand for the different parts, and I'm trying to figure out the optimal orientation for running the HDPlex 400w AC-DC and 400w DC-ATX for a brickless build. I'm hoping a lower overall power consumption on a higher capacity PSU will reduce the general amount of heat produced, which from another comment you responded to in this thread seems quite possible!

Though, I'm unsure how to visualize the orientation for the PSUs with the specs provided.

S4M:
341mm (L) x 215mm (W) x 57mm (H)

400w DC-ATX:
160mm (L) x 51.5mm (W) x 30mm (H)

400w AC-DC:
190mm (L) x 57mm (W) x 40mm (H)

If the PSUs laid end to end along the length of the S4M, there'd be -9mm of clearance?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Going back to this! I've got some specs on hand for the different parts, and I'm trying to figure out the optimal orientation for running the HDPlex 400w AC-DC and 400w DC-ATX for a brickless build. I'm hoping a lower overall power consumption on a higher capacity PSU will reduce the general amount of heat produced, which from another comment you responded to in this thread seems quite possible!

Though, I'm unsure how to visualize the orientation for the PSUs with the specs provided.

S4M:
341mm (L) x 215mm (W) x 57mm (H)

400w DC-ATX:
160mm (L) x 51.5mm (W) x 30mm (H)

400w AC-DC:
190mm (L) x 57mm (W) x 40mm (H)

If the PSUs laid end to end along the length of the S4M, there'd be -9mm of clearance?

Concerning lower overall consumption, there likely very little difference, from 50% load (likely the most efficient point) to 100% load on a 115VAC, you're looking only at a savings of about 2-3%. Assuming your build is 200W, and going to a 400W AC-DC, you'll save 4-6W total.

Selendipitous

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2018
Concerning lower overall consumption, there likely very little difference, from 50% load (likely the most efficient point) to 100% load on a 115VAC, you're looking only at a savings of about 2-3%. Assuming your build is 200W, and going to a 400W AC-DC, you'll save 4-6W total.

Thanks! I'm also trying to figure out if investing in a higher wattage PSU early on to open up options for upgrades in the future would be better than getting a smaller PSU to fit my build and upgrade the PSU along with the other components - larger investment now to save in the future, or smaller investment now to save in the present, basically - as I'm not quite sure how long I'll be sticking with my current build.