Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

E-Rod

Chassis Packer
May 23, 2018
Woo, exciting!

I just encountered the heartbreak that is the R9 Nano (seems to spike too much for the 400W HDPLEX + 330W Dell brick). Back to a 1050Ti until the Vega Nanos are available.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
With respect to GPU, the new AC-DC unit should have the same height and so will allow you to either use a reference height GPU (111.15mm) up to 215mm) or alternatively an overheight GPU of up to 170mm in length. If you can get a reference height GPU that is 170mm or less then you can use an AC-DC unit on either the bottom of the case or along the inside front panel. My secret hope is that the Vega Nano will be 170mm long and 111.5mm high and allow for two AC-DC units (400W + 160W) to be combo'd in the S4M :)

Vega Nano is out, and it's 170mm long and standard pci-e height.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Man, the anticipation is killing me. Not sure how this would fit into a S4 Mini Classic, with my Zotac 1080, but if not I guess side/upgrading to the skyreach S4 Mini could be an option. Any thoughts @Kmpkt ?

Reactions: Jello

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Just got the word that dimensions and designs are finalized. Hopefully will be seeing samples soon!
Awesome. And I realize that the better place for this topic might be in your own subforum. So if you want me to delete this when it is formally announced, I can do that.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Interesting! Perfect to hear that the HDPLEX DC-ATX will soon will be able to utalized fully.
Planning on doing a build in the fall. With the new graphics cards are coming in september or so.
Gonna be perfect timing !
@Kmpkt
Is the HDPlEX AC DC gonna be 400w flat or higher ? To utalized the DC ATX peak wattage of 500w?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Barring any last minute design changes, the HDPlex 400W is going to measure 190mm x 57mm x 40mm. The attachment ears will be modular instead of built in and will add another 15mm should you choose to use them. The supply has been designed specifically to fit on the bottom of the S4M when using a reference height card or alternatively on the front of the S4M when using an ITX length cards. I am hoping to work with @Josh | NFC to make a 3D printable adapter bracket for mounting the unit securely inside the S4M. If we can get the adapter kit made, then I will be using it for my Orangulan 2.0 build. It should play VERY nicely with the Dynamo combo in this setting.

Last edited:

Selendipitous

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2018
Barring any last minute design changes, the HDPlex 400W is going to measure 190mm x 57mm x 40mm. The attachment ears will be modular instead of built in and will add another 15mm should you choose to use them. The supply has been designed specifically to fit on the bottom of the S4M when using a reference height card or alternatively on the front of the S4M when using an ITX length cards. I am hoping to work with @Josh | NFC to make a 3D printable adapter bracket for mounting the unit securely inside the S4M. If we can get the adapter kit made, then I will be using it for my Orangulan 2.0 build. It should play VERY nicely with the Dynamo combo in this setting.

Theoretically, would both the HDPlex 400W DC-DC and 400W AC-DC fit inside the S4M for a brickless build? I'm afraid I can't quite visualize the setup to know for sure. Asking for.. science! Yes. Science.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you have a true Mini ITX GPU, you should be able to fit the 400W AC-DC and 400W DC-ATX. If your GPU is greater than 170mm in length OR greater than 111.15 mm in height, you might have an issue with fitting both.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
If you have a true Mini ITX GPU, you should be able to fit the 400W AC-DC and 400W DC-ATX. If your GPU is greater than 170mm in length OR greater than 111.15 mm in height, you might have an issue with fitting both.
So you could fit an HDPlex 400w DCATX and this new brick with a Zotac GTX 1080 mini? Not sure where to gauge the full height of my card, as I have removed the shroud.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
What is the point of the new power supply then?
I believe the current GPUs above 1060 is going to be above 170mm or 111.5 in height (Not including the PCIe connector)
which either narrows the GPU selection considerably or have to do away with external brick.
or else limit to 1050ti which does not even need 160 AC DC to be upgraded...

Or am I missing a huge section of the design?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
So you could fit an HDPlex 400w DCATX and this new brick with a Zotac GTX 1080 mini? Not sure where to gauge the full height of my card, as I have removed the shroud.
No. The Zotac Mini PCB height exceeds the height of the expansion bracket.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
What is the point of the new power supply then?
I believe the current GPUs above 1060 is going to be above 170mm or 111.5 in height (Not including the PCIe connector)
which either narrows the GPU selection considerably or have to do away with external brick.
or else limit to 1050ti which does not even need 160 AC DC to be upgraded...

Or am I missing a huge section of the design?
I mean, you could fit the Gigabyte 1080 mini based on length.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Like Nanook said, Zotac is overheight and over length. This brick would work perfectly with the new Vega 56 Nano, the Gigabyte 1080 and any other card that is "true" ITX in either height or length.

I will mention that if you have a card that will take this PSU in one orientation or the other and cannot fit the HDPlex 400W DC-ATX as well, then the Dynamo Combo will easily fit inside the case in a variety of locations alongside it. That being said, with a couple of the overheight cards you should be able to fit the 400W AC-DC on the front of the case an the 400W DC-ATX on the bottom of the case.

Reactions: m.trix

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I hope I'm not the only one thinking that discontinuing a well known SFF product (300w AC-DC adapter) and puting for sale a bigger adapter was a good idea. A lot of people in here not only buy, but design and build cases around the old measures.

Maybe having both adapters for sale at the same time would've been a better alternative to the sudden discontinuation.

I'd be VERY interested in buying a couple adapters (old model), if that was an option, even from someone here on the forum.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Like Nanook said, Zotac is overheight and over length. This brick would work perfectly with the new Vega 56 Nano, the Gigabyte 1080 and any other card that is "true" ITX in either height or length.

I will mention that if you have a card that will take this PSU in one orientation or the other and cannot fit the HDPlex 400W DC-ATX as well, then the Dynamo Combo will easily fit inside the case in a variety of locations alongside it. That being said, with a couple of the overheight cards you should be able to fit the 400W AC-DC on the front of the case an the 400W DC-ATX on the bottom of the case.

OK cool, sorry if I am being dense, but could I place the ACDC brick in front of the motherboard and use a Dynamo instead of the HDPlex with a Zotac GTX 1080 mini?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
OK cool, sorry if I am being dense, but could I place the ACDC brick in front of the motherboard and use a Dynamo instead of the HDPlex with a Zotac GTX 1080 mini?
This is all new to me as well, as I am new to the S4M, and am trying to do the same thing. I don’t there is enough space... to fit a 400w DC-DC brick and a 400w DC-ATX along with a Zotac Mini. I don’t think a 160w DC-ATX will be able to power everything in your build. How much smaller is the Dynamo 360w DC-ATX than the HDPlex 400w DC-ATX?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd be VERY interested in buying a couple adapters (old model), if that was an option, even from someone here on the forum.

If you want to PM me I have a bunch of 300W units. I'm sure I can part with a couple.

Maybe having both adapters for sale at the same time would've been a better alternative to the sudden discontinuation.

I don't believe that the 400W being brought to market means the 300W will automatically be discontinued.

Reactions: Biowarejak