Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

SFFNoob

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 24, 2018
I see the HDPLEX 400w is DC-DC and the HP brick is AC-DC. I bought a Skyreach 4 mini and I'm trying to figure out which power supply to get. I had no idea what AC-DC was until tonight. Link below for those who are interested.

If I don't want a brick it seems it would be best for me to wait for this new AC-DC internal adapter? I'm going to be running a 1060 6gb mini with a ryzen 5 1600.

https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask-an-engineer/whats-the-difference-between-ac-and-dc/

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
I see the HDPLEX 400w is DC-DC and the HP brick is AC-DC. I bought a Skyreach 4 mini and I'm trying to figure out which power supply to get. I had no idea what AC-DC was until tonight. Link below for those who are interested.

If I don't want a brick it seems it would be best for me to wait for this new AC-DC internal adapter? I'm going to be running a 1060 6gb mini with a ryzen 5 1600.

https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask-an-engineer/whats-the-difference-between-ac-and-dc/
For your case... a meanwell 200 and hdplex 160 or dynamo mini is more than enough....

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
S4M:
341mm (L) x 215mm (W) x 57mm (H)

400w DC-ATX:
160mm (L) x 51.5mm (W) x 30mm (H)

400w AC-DC:
190mm (L) x 57mm (W) x 40mm (H)

If the PSUs laid end to end along the length of the S4M, there'd be -9mm of clearance?

Is that a minus sign? If so, yes you're right you're missing 9 mm. Plus cables and harness. I think the new ac-dc is meant to go width-wise 'beside' the gpu. Higher end cards tend to go for length rather than girth *ahem* that's what she said

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If the card is overheight then the 400W AC-DC can be mounted to the front of the case.

If the card is spec height (111.15mm) then the 400W can be mounted to the bottom of the case in the allotted AC-DC mounting location.

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
If the card is overheight then the 400W AC-DC can be mounted to the front of the case.

If the card is spec height (111.15mm) then the 400W can be mounted to the bottom of the case in the allotted AC-DC mounting location.

For my own clarification, with respect to the Skyreach S4M, if the card is spec height & ITX format in length (for example Vega 56 Nano), then it's safe to assume the best position would also be the front of the case correct?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
For my own clarification, with respect to the Skyreach S4M, if the card is spec height & ITX format in length (for example Vega 56 Nano), then it's safe to assume the best position would also be the front of the case correct?
Depends on how the heatsink fins are oriented to enable the best cooling for the GPU. If the fins are pointed towards the front of the case, then I would say the side of the GPU/bottom of the case would be ideal.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Very nice you guys are using mega fit.

I have pondered the use of megafit, but decided against it because it is more difficult for people make custom cables.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You should be able to wedge it in at 58mm and the width on the bottom of the case is 60mm.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Specifications and drawings are up on the HDPlex website now!

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-400w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

Length reduced to 180.4mm
Width increased to 58mm (o_O)
Height remains at 40mm

buttrmytoast

Trash Compacter
Jun 2, 2018
You should be able to wedge it in at 58mm and the width on the bottom of the case is 60mm.

I see, that's awesome to hear! I noticed that HDplex completely removed their 300w ac-dc selection and replaced it with this... does this mean we can expect to see this soon?

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
HDPLEX 400W AC-DC adapter uses Molex Mega-fit 6PIN connector for detachable DC output. HDPLEX has two DC output cables. They are Mega-fit 6PIN Male to Male cable for HDPLEX 800W/400W HiFi DC-ATX connection and Mega-fit 6PIN Male-7.4*5.0mm w/PIN cable for Thin ITX/Laptop connection.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
1. The threads are on the back of the PSU, which means the Screws has to be mounted outside Skyreach 4 mini.
S4 does not have a countersunk screw hole, thus the head would project outside, making the panel mounting odd or not-flush.
@Josh | NFC can shed some light on this...

2. and if the thickness is 58mm and s4 has internally 57mm, how it can fit out of box?
Making a tolerance stackup in odd conditions, the panels screws wont line up with the frame...

3. Does the C8 comes without and EMI filter or with one... (Package contents says 2 C14). If it is with EMI filter, are we running a 400W max ungrounded? if it is not with EMI, its still worse...

4. The mounting mechanism is 144mm and length is 180 which leaves 18mm preside.
S4 has 36mm center to face on the mounting side which leaves us only with 18mm of space to mount the c8 connector, which I feel is pretty tight. Schurter catalog says (3.2+13.5+4.8 short connector) = 21.5mm just for the connector. which cannot make it fit, unless the connector is different.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So I've addressed the 58mm width with Larry at HDPlex and am hoping he can narrow the unit by 1mm so fitment isn't an issue on the S4M. Worst case scenario is that you'll need to sand 1/2 millimetre off either side to get a fit.

As far as bottom mounting the unit goes, you can quite easily use an adhesive of your choosing to anchor the unit. I personally love 3M's 8810 tissue tape as it also acts to conduct heat from the PSU to the chassis, I believe the mounting points are there for the HDPlex case and not specifically for the S4M.

As far as the C8 goes, it is a simple connector with no EMI filter as far as I know. This means that yes you would be running a 400W AC-DC unit ungrounded.