Power Supply HDPlex 400W AC-DC Adapter

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So I've addressed the 58mm width with Larry at HDPlex and am hoping he can narrow the unit by 1mm so fitment isn't an issue on the S4M. Worst case scenario is that you'll need to sand 1/2 millimetre off either side to get a fit.

As far as bottom mounting the unit goes, you can quite easily use an adhesive of your choosing to anchor the unit. I personally love 3M's 8810 tissue tape as it also acts to conduct heat from the PSU to the chassis, I believe the mounting points are there for the HDPlex case and not specifically for the S4M.

As far as the C8 goes, it is a simple connector with no EMI filter as far as I know. This means that yes you would be running a 400W AC-DC unit ungrounded.

1. 0.5mm of metal is a lot of metal to sand. It'll be a pain.

2. C8 is designed for 2.5A. Which comes to two issues:
  • This means for NA you're limited to 280W (120*2.5*.94(efficiency))
  • You should not be running a un-grounded unit unless there is a low chance of fault. This means things that are insulated are okay (external bricks) but chassis mounted means it is conductive to the case, and so the user.
Of course, user should be expected to follow due diligence and take their accepted base-line of risk, since the PSU is offered with a detachable AC power entry.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
I will leave this to larry and @Josh | NFC, to work on out of box fit with the components mentioned...
Personally, I feel, it wont fit perfectly with the holes pitch and the possibility of including a 30mm fan and lining up with a connector...

If they prove me wrong by posting an image of the AC DC on S4 mini to make a brickless...
I would be the most happiest one here...

Reactions: Biowarejak

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
1. 0.5mm of metal is a lot of metal to sand. It'll be a pain.

2. C8 is designed for 2.5A. Which comes to two issues:
  • This means for NA you're limited to 280W (120*2.5*.94(efficiency))
  • You should not be running a un-grounded unit unless there is a low chance of fault. This means things that are insulated are okay (external bricks) but chassis mounted means it is conductive to the case, and so the user.
Of course, user should be expected to follow due diligence and take their accepted base-line of risk, since the PSU is offered with a detachable AC power entry.

Just to add some points,
grinding 0.5mm is one thing... grinding them evenly to maintain the parallelism is another.
C8 is for 2.5A but taking the worst case its 100v (100-120v) reduces its power limit further...
No EMI Filter means to get ready for flickering TVs and Lights...
and finally don't touch the case if you are suspecting a dodgy line... (The point of SFF is to move to various places)
either I'm overreacting or the physics doesn't allow to fit those components onto the S4 size case..

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I'm with you about the fitment, but about the EMI and current ratings, bleh - dude come on. If your tv flickers do you use 90s crt or what? If your lights are flickering quit using incandescents already.

Those ratings are way overspecced. I do agree we have to be cautious for cheaper parts that plays fire with these specs, but generally we're fine.

First world problems, really.

One thing to note, is that if the unit is tobe mounted to the side of the gpu (essentially the 'bottom' of the case), there are no flanges so we in fact have 64mm - 1.5mm * 2 = 61mm (exterior minus two frames' width) to work with. Granted there are no secure (read: screws) way to mount it beside adhesives.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
via Imgflip Meme Generator

By the way... Why TF is C8 rated the same with C6? All the more reason to take these standards with a grain of common sense.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Same pitch, yes. But different spacing. With C8's small plug profile manufacturers often sells them with cheap-ass thin cables which I think the real hazard here rather than their ratings. Who cares if your plug can handle 5A when your cable melts at 3A?

At least C6 cables are proper ones like C14s. A C6 with thin cable will look stupid so they won't do it.

Edit:
If it's not obvious already I'm a huge proponent of C6s. Yall can call me Mickey from now on, I won't mind. I think they fit sff just enough. And yes I was a little pissed when the new S4M comes with C8.

Last edited:

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
And yes I was a little pissed when the new S4M comes with C8.

I'm desperate about the EMI filtering and ground.,.. because I'm not in US or UK to assume it as a 1st world problem.. I'm from India and the Power and lines are notorious... which means no ground or EMI filter... no go for me..

and about the C8 connector... Josh's design choice is to drive an external power to the GPU through it and not an AC line...

But my request for next gen is to give space to modify the C8 to C6 or give C6 altogether...

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
So I've addressed the 58mm width with Larry at HDPlex and am hoping he can narrow the unit by 1mm so fitment isn't an issue on the S4M. Worst case scenario is that you'll need to sand 1/2 millimetre off either side to get a fit.

As far as bottom mounting the unit goes, you can quite easily use an adhesive of your choosing to anchor the unit. I personally love 3M's 8810 tissue tape as it also acts to conduct heat from the PSU to the chassis, I believe the mounting points are there for the HDPlex case and not specifically for the S4M.

As far as the C8 goes, it is a simple connector with no EMI filter as far as I know. This means that yes you would be running a 400W AC-DC unit ungrounded.

If you look at the section Package Contents on the link you shared, it says it has an EMI filter on the inputs.

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Aug 17, 2016
If you don't mind modding your case you have a couple of options

- C6 with 6A pros: EMI filtered, 6A, 250VAC; cons: no ground, needs widen the C6 opening like 1-2mm
- TE's M12 system, pros: multi-wire sockets, 4A, 250VAC, multiple options to mount, threaded cable insert; cons: no EMI filter, needs to widen the round opening like 2mm. Some TE's parts
- T4171210003-001
- T4171310003-001
- T4171010003-001
- T4171110003-001

The lack of EMI filtering can be achieved the same way that some bricks do; adding the EMI filter in the cable

If you don't want to mod your case the only thing that can be used is either a regular C6 or a GX12, the GX12 can be found with 3 pins allowing to pass ground through it, no EMI filter as well, if you live in a country with +220V lines those (GX12) are nearly impossible to locate from a respectable company

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
What product is HDPLEX referring to with the line ''designed to work with HDPLEX 400W/800W DC-ATX''? Are they working on a new HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX varient or using two of the new 400W AC-DC with two 400W DC-ATX existing units they offer?

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Thanks, But I have a genuine reason to be pissed....
so far, we don't have a genuine brickless solution for Skyreach which can take a 65W cpu and above 1060...
This should have been an ideal solution, its too close for the same, but becomes unfit with very minor shortcomings..

Imagine you have prepared for a holiday for months and miss the flight in minutes..

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
What product is HDPLEX referring to with the line ''designed to work with HDPLEX 400W/800W DC-ATX''? Are they working on a new HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX varient or using two of the new 400W AC-DC with two 400W DC-ATX existing units they offer?

Since Larry has outed the product, I'd might as well elaborate. There is an 800W DC-ATX being planned that will allow the end user to sum the current from two HDPlex 400W DC-ATX into a single 800W DC-DC power supply.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I see the HDPLEX 400 as a beautiful, compact solution that can be used externally with the right kit. This seems to be everything my customers were asking for...an alternative to the huge Dell 330 or the super expensive Eurocom 780 or the really hands on modding Delta 400. Larry has wrapped a small brick in a tiny small shell for us.

I just made sure it could be installed in the same place as the 160 AC-DC. It's a bonus, guys...a nice to have. It works with the 1050ti, but now you can put an i9 or whatever in the box and not run an external brick.

This is the fun of true small form factor...putting together solutions for a unique build. Don't miss out. Eventually there will be a high wattage internal solution for the MINI. And when it comes out, it won't be good enough (again.) It is a never ending goal post. So don't stress. :)

Peace

Last edited: