News Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX RTX 4060 Low Profile

Gigabyte is creating an RTX 4060 low-profile card: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/g...-be-the-first-low-profile-ada-lovelace-design

3 fans, single 8-pin, 2 slots.

Pie in the sky, but would love to see an RTX 4060ti (or more crazy RTX 4070) model at some point.

___

16/01/2023 Addendum

ASUS now has a 4060 Low Profile card.
188mm, triple fan.

___

19/04/2024 Addendum

Galax has a card
182mm, triple fan, but the PCIE cable is at the front which will affect clearance without a custom solution.
Will advise to look for something slightly bigger

Cases these will fit into (double check before you buy, not everything is available):

Lenovo P3/P360 ULTRA - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)/Adapter Needed
ZS A4DC V3 - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)
ZS D2 (D Config) - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Gemcase C9 - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Lone Industries L5 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod SL3 STL 4.8L Rev.1 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto - 185mm** (Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto+ - 185mm** Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
ZS D2 V2 - 186mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod Case MINI LP edit. - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
J-Hack Pure MK2 - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Lazer3D HT5 - 194mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Lazer3D Cravo - 195mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
CAPTAIN CASE V9 - 208mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
REVOCCASES N0RDR1 Nano EVO - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish 2 Plus - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
LZmod A24-V5 V2.0 - 220mm- Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML03 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML04 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish G5 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Bug C1 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
SKTC A10 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Silverstone Milo ML11 - 272mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Help. My 4060 is idle at the desktop 26°C and it says it is drawing 50+ watts and fans 5800RPM. Terrible noise. I'm on 551 drivers, came from 540. Same problem.

I used NVCleaninstall and checked clean install, and did a restart of the PC.
Ignore the power reading, 4060s don't have real power meter ICs at all. At idle they ALWAYS read like 55W or something, and I'm fairly sure the load power is an estimate, too.

Fans shouldn't be spinning that hard though... did you do clean driver install (i.e. clean everythingn with DDU first)? Otherwise install Afterburner and see if you can set a custom fan profile or what's going on in there.

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
Ignore the power reading, 4060s don't have real power meter ICs at all. At idle they ALWAYS read like 55W or something, and I'm fairly sure the load power is an estimate, too.

Fans shouldn't be spinning that hard though... did you do clean driver install (i.e. clean everythingn with DDU first)? Otherwise install Afterburner and see if you can set a custom fan profile or what's going on in there.
I did try Afterburner, it may have been a slightly old build though. I may try the cross flash posted above, I believe slower fans were a side effect.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I did try Afterburner, it may have been a slightly old build though. I may try the cross flash posted above, I believe slower fans were a side effect.
Definitely try other things before crossflashing. Slower MAX fans is a side-effect, the benefit is that you'll also get zero RPM fan mode :)

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
Definitely try other things before crossflashing. Slower MAX fans is a side-effect, the benefit is that you'll also get zero RPM fan mode :)
I am thinking I may have a poor connection on the PWM pin, as I am getting a constant 5,800RPM, which is above and beyond what is reported here. At least the card will be cool!

Reactions: SFFMunkee

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
Help. My 4060 is idle at the desktop 26°C and it says it is drawing 50+ watts and fans 5800RPM. Terrible noise. I'm on 551 drivers, came from 540. Same problem.

I used NVCleaninstall and checked clean install, and did a restart of the PC.
Idk what's going on with the fans but you can set a custom fan curve inside MSI Afterburner. As for the power consumption, it's a known issue with (to my knowledge) no solution. Realistically your GPU is using something like 11-14W at idle but it doesn't have the sensors to detect idle power draw, so the software readings are inaccurate. My 4060 always says 52W when idle but my power meter at the wall says the entire system is only drawing 36W, so I know for sure that the software reading is incorrect.

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
Idk what's going on with the fans but you can set a custom fan curve inside MSI Afterburner. As for the power consumption, it's a known issue with (to my knowledge) no solution. Realistically your GPU is using something like 11-14W at idle but it doesn't have the sensors to detect idle power draw, so the software readings are inaccurate. My 4060 always says 52W when idle but my power meter at the wall says the entire system is only drawing 36W, so I know for sure that the software reading is incorrect.
Thanks for checking back. I did use MSI Afterburner and it didn't change anything. I think I have a hardware fault on the PWM wire, its probably just broken or loose. I learned about the idle measurement on here, so I'm not really worried about it.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Thanks for checking back. I did use MSI Afterburner and it didn't change anything. I think I have a hardware fault on the PWM wire, its probably just broken or loose. I learned about the idle measurement on here, so I'm not really worried about it.
Constant 5.8k is indeed 100% so a faulty pwn signal or wire seems plausible. If you don't want to mess with the warranty, I'd return the card. You could check the cable yourself, but it's very hard to detach the header without taking off the heatsink and even harder to attach it again.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Both HDMI ports on my gigabyte keep having video dropouts on my 4k/120hz TV. New cables and reduced refresh and resolution don't help.

Happens in games and video playback.

Any troubleshooting tips?

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
Constant 5.8k is indeed 100% so a faulty pwn signal or wire seems plausible. If you don't want to mess with the warranty, I'd return the card. You could check the cable yourself, but it's very hard to detach the header without taking off the heatsink and even harder to attach it again.
I had the shroud and fans off, without removing the heatsink. Probably broke the wire myself

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Both HDMI ports on my gigabyte keep having video dropouts on my 4k/120hz TV. New cables and reduced refresh and resolution don't help.

The cable isn't loosening up is it? Ive noticed that happen quite a few times.
Also getting crashes where the fans spin up to 100%. Haven't narrowed it down to the gpu though.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

Is it connected directly to your TV or through an AV Receiver? Which cable(s) did you use?

Also getting crashes where the fans spin up to 100%. Haven't narrowed it down to the gpu though.

Are you running Rem00 FanControl?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
The cable isn't loosening up is it? Ive noticed that happen quite a few times.
Multiple cables. No issues with the previous GPU using the same cable.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Is it connected directly to your TV or through an AV Receiver? Which cable(s) did you use?

Are you running Rem00 FanControl?

Direct to TV. Both cables are "48gps 8k HDMI 2.1" from different brands so they should be able to do 4k/120hz no problem. Previous GPU using same cable didn't have any issues (though it was HDMI 2.0, 1440p/120hz)

Reducing resolution or refresh rate does NOT eliminate dropouts.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Direct to TV. Both cables are "48gps 8k HDMI 2.1" from different brands so they should be able to do 4k/120hz no problem. Previous GPU using same cable didn't have any issues (though it was HDMI 2.0, 1440p/120hz)

Reducing resolution or refresh rate does NOT eliminate dropouts.

Hmmm... so if you can rule out everything else, I'd return the card

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
To followup on my saga of blanking screen a replacement 4060LP didn't fix it either. Doing a search on my 4k TV I learned there is a problem with a 48gbps HDMI 2.1 connection. I used CRU to reduce the bandwidth to 40gbps and all the flickering/blanking stopped!

From what I can tell 40gbps is fine to do 4k 120hz with HDR and VRR, which is what my TV (TCL R646) supports.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Michitaro

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 31, 2024
Thanks a lot @SFFMunkee for small 'guide' how to get +113% PL bios on low profile card! I had no issues flashing it, but observed a strange behaviour on new bios.

I use an open-source app called "Fan Control" to set the fan curves for GPU and CPU. On the new BIOS it seems like there is some sort of software lock regarding fan speeds. No matter what I try to do, the reported max speed is 3500 RPM. Currently, the only solution I see, would be to de-shroud the card and control the fans through the motherboard. (Changing fan curve using MSI Afterburner or using "Force apply" in Fan Control cannot get me above 3500 rpm). However, when card gets really hot (above thermal target >90 degrees), the fans start to spin at 'true' max speed getting as loud as they should be. Have you ran into similar issue?

I am a novice when it comes to PC modding, my case is LZmod A24-v5 (popular choice for this GPU) and first I tried to de-shroud gpu and run it with 2x NF-A8 PWM, the results were mediocre at best - card did perform worse than with stock gigabyte cooler. Then I did some reading and it turns out that fan size should correspond the radiator on the card. So my wild guess is that 60mm should provide the best fit. Could you give me some advice on what fans would be the best to run with this card?

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
I am a novice when it comes to PC modding, my case is LZmod A24-v5 (popular choice for this GPU) and first I tried to de-shroud gpu and run it with 2x NF-A8 PWM, the results were mediocre at best - card did perform worse than with stock gigabyte cooler. Then I did some reading and it turns out that fan size should correspond the radiator on the card. So my wild guess is that 60mm should provide the best fit. Could you give me some advice on what fans would be the best to run with this card?
Why not just use a PWM adapter to control the stock fans with the motherboard?

Edit: I see you are doing custom fans. 2x80mm should work fine if they hold pressure and you can make a shroud so all the air goes through the fins. I think Noctua makes a 60mm fan? NF-A6x25

Last edited: