Completed DSE Breathe - A 7.3L Vertical Format ITX Tower

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016
Awesome, would love to see how it turns out when you're done, if that's no trouble. Regardless, wish you luck with your build!

I am still waiting for all the parts including cases to arrive. (cpu cooler and chassis left)

To save extra $$ spent on international shipping, I arranged a freight forward agency in US to receive it there and forward it to me. This saved extra $30 compared to direct international shipping from @DSE . How wallet-friendly.

The bad thing was the time. Black friday & Cyber monday sales made their business extremely busy, and looks like I'll get this chassis next week, which makes total shipping time as long as about 2 weeks.

This weekend I'll be probably testing the parts I have in hand, without the case, making them ready when the case comes by.

How are the other purchased cases going on?

(PS, my biggest concern right now is if the chassis is compatible with my rx 580 nitro+ or not.)

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016

A quick assembly. I'll cover more on this weekend. Well, for now, only two pics...

Nocturnize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2017
twitter.com
Oh shit, I just got my paycheck today so I'm about to fullfil invoice, but OP might still be busy in exams, hopefully he can ship it out this week! Looking forward to your build and thoughts.

That's great; don't forget to post your build here when you put everything together! Good luck!

A quick assembly. I'll cover more on this weekend. Well, for now, only two pics...
Woah, looking amazing! Glad to see your graphics card was able to fit after all, even if barely. How was putting it all together like? How did you manage to put up with cable management in such a small space? Really excited to see how your setup looks; curious about your take on the cables coming from the top situation. Thanks a bunch for sharing these, by the way. Your pc is looking great!

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Hi guys, sorry about being inactive for the past couple of days. I got busy with school, studying and taking final exams. A relative of mine also passed away recently, so that only weighed me down more.

Will you make a top hat to cover i.o port?
Maybe. I'm thinking about it. Talking to @gunpalcyril gave me a bit of an itch.

This is probably the best micro ITX enclosure in the world, though I like your original grid vent better, it likely has better EMI properties. I wish you make a grid version, I'll be all over it.
Thanks, but let's not get carried away here. I think that title belongs to the Ghost S1. I might return to a grid vent pattern for batch 2.
Also, check your inbox if you haven't already, I sent you a message regarding your response to my order form.

Glad it's looking good. It's surreal seeing my baby out in the wild.

Not Sure how long i have to wait for the case. it's 3rd week. :(
Shipped it out a few days ago. Check your inbox for the tracking number. I'm really sorry it took so long.

Same thing goes for my customer in Japan. I shipped yours out a few days ago as well. Your package should be heading out of the US very soon. Tracking info was added in PayPal.

Oh shit, I just got my paycheck today so I'm about to fullfil invoice, but OP might still be busy in exams, hopefully he can ship it out this week! Looking forward to your build and thoughts.
Got your payment. I'll be sending out your box on Monday.

Also, Maxwell, if you're out there reading this, your box will be sent out on Monday too.

Reactions: Biowarejak

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
@DSE Hey no worries, my condolences to your family, hope your holidays will treat you better.

And yes please consider what I've said about revision 02, it could be a game changer. I would do it myself, but I have no time, so you have my support.

Looking forward to building into your case.

Reactions: DSE and Biowarejak

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I got the case today! Just finished building, debating if I should do a separate build log posting or just continue this on this thread. Thoughts?

Will post pictures soon regardless, awesome fucking case this is, can't wait for rev.02.

Reactions: DSE

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I got the case today! Just finished building, debating if I should do a separate build log posting or just continue this on this thread. Thoughts?

Will post pictures soon regardless, awesome fucking case this is, can't wait for rev.02.

Just post some pics already. :p Although build logs are always cool.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Seeing as how @DKsystem has already posted a wonderful picture and build review, I think I'll just add my 2 cents of the case here.

Picture album:

1st impressions/Pros:
  • Sturdy. This case is an absolute tank. I am coming from my previous build in the dan-a4 case, and I prefer the added weight of the steel walls. Very rigid and reliable, perfect for my use case since I travel a lot with my pc for perfomances, and needed a case that was more rugged and travel friendly than my previous aluminum dan-a4 case.
  • Beautiful Design. Aesthetically, I love the vent design, it serves to be eye catching as well as being very good with thermals.The construction is simple and elegant (the power button also serves as one of the graphics card mounts), and the tower form factor looks great and is ideal for saving desk space.
Obstacles/Cons:
  • Tiny production errors, not by design. One of the screw mount flanges were slightly off bent, easily fixed with pliers, and I had 2 tiny scratches on one of the panels. Pure manufacturing error I assume, as the case was generously packaged with tons of bubble wrap, and is greatly overshadowed by the overall product as I soon forgot about them.
  • Cable management. Oh lordy, as @DKsystem had pointed out, this build is really tough with Gigabyte's ab350n itx motherboard, the picture album will show what I'm talking about. Get your zip ties ready, and if desired, buy or mod custom shortened paracord psu cables. Namely, the 24-pin cable was the main culprit, as it pushed my 2nd ram slot and was a very rigid cable to work with. Got it to work though, just took extra time and planning. If you are building a ryzen itx system inside this, I strongly advise staying away from gigabyte's motherboard; asrock's or asus' itx models are much better.

And that is it. Best fucking purchase of 2017 for me so far. I'm a huge sci-fi nerd, so the industrial and brutal design of this rigid steel case was a no-brainer for me. I love the case, @DSE did a great 1st job, and am looking forward to the next revision (in red if possible :cool:).

Hopes this helps convince others to purchase this, looking forward to other build logs/pictures!

Last edited:

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016
@gunpalcyril so you've made it. Nice job done with your AB350N, even with the bent DIMM slot.
(The quality of cable management shows your royalty in SFF. IMO)
The big black 300mm strix card(1070,1080 maybe?) fully stuck inside (the graphics chamber) gives me a satisfaction.

I felt the same as the chassis hardens itself with every single screw fastened.

I like the way how the antennas stick out, maybe i'll get ones like that too. :D

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
@gunpalcyril so you've made it. Nice job done with your AB350N, even with the bent DIMM slot.
(The quality of cable management shows your royalty in SFF. IMO)
The big black 300mm strix card(1070,1080 maybe?) fully stuck inside (the graphics chamber) gives me a satisfaction.

I felt the same as the chassis hardens itself with every single screw fastened.

I like the way how the antennas stick out, maybe i'll get ones like that too. :D

Yes, this is a great itx case despite the small obstacles, and I am using a gtx 1080 strix. Its awesome how it fully encompasses the case height.

The antennas were a nice plus, it looks more menacing with them on, you should definitely pick some up for your build :)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yes, this is a great itx case despite the small obstacles, and I am using a gtx 1080 strix. Its awesome how it fully encompasses the case height.

The antennas were a nice plus, it looks more menacing with them on, you should definitely pick some up for your build :)

Build looks really good, shame there are clearance issues with the Gigabyte board. That Strix does look badass in there.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Build looks really good, shame there are clearance issues with the Gigabyte board. That Strix does look badass in there.

Yep, strictly the fault of gigabyte's b350 itx design. Im considering getting asrock itx motherboard soon, as well as red psu cables, we'll see.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Seeing as how @DKsystem has already posted a wonderful picture and build review, I think I'll just add my 2 cents of the case here.

Picture album:

1st impressions/Pros:
  • Sturdy. This case is an absolute tank. I am coming from my previous build in the dan-a4 case, and I prefer the added weight of the steel walls. Very rigid and reliable, perfect for my use case since I travel a lot with my pc for perfomances, and needed a case that was more rugged and travel friendly than my previous aluminum dan-a4 case.
  • Beautiful Design. Aesthetically, I love the vent design, it serves to be eye catching as well as being very good with thermals.The construction is simple and elegant (the power button also serves as one of the graphics card mounts), and the tower form factor looks great and is ideal for saving desk space.
Obstacles/Cons:
  • Tiny production errors, not by design. One of the screw mount flanges were slightly off bent, easily fixed with pliers, and I had 2 tiny scratches on one of the panels. Pure manufacturing error I assume, as the case was generously packaged with tons of bubble wrap, and is greatly overshadowed by the overall product as I soon forgot about them.
  • Cable management. Oh lordy, as @DKsystem had pointed out, this build is really tough with Gigabyte's ab350n itx motherboard, the picture album will show what I'm talking about. Get your zip ties ready, and if desired, buy or mod custom shortened paracord psu cables. Namely, the 24-pin cable was the main culprit, as it pushed my 2nd ram slot and was a very rigid cable to work with. Got it to work though, just took extra time and planning. If you are building a ryzen itx system inside this, I strongly advise staying away from gigabyte's motherboard; asrock's or asus' itx models are much better.

And that is it. Best fucking purchase of 2017 for me so far. I'm a huge sci-fi nerd, so the industrial and brutal design of this rigid steel case was a no-brainer for me. I love the case, @DSE did a great 1st job, and am looking forward to the next revision (in red if possible :cool:).

Hopes this helps convince others to purchase this, looking forward to other build logs/pictures!
Looking great, glad it turned out well. I'm loving the look of the Strix 1080 in there.