Completed DSE Breathe - A 7.3L Vertical Format ITX Tower

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I want to cry. :)

Why? Hopefully tears of joy. This is an awesome case, I'm already 3D modeling a possible "top hat" to cover the cables and route them in the back to hide them, trying to integrate a 7" touchscreen for my portability uses.

Also, still waiting on some thermals, I know you're probably busy but some initial thermal test results would be awesome.

Reactions: DSE

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Here are the thermal results in the case.
Tests performed with:
CPU - Intel Core i7-7700K
CPU Cooler - Cryorig C7
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2

Idle test - PC was running a few windows of Chrome, had Discord open, and Adobe Acrobat.

CPU load test - I just stuck the 3d model of the case into Keyshot, set the lighting to full simulation, and let it bake. Provides a realistic load test that will max out all cores of the CPU.

GPU load test - Synthetic load with Furmark. I let it run for 10 minutes.

Real full-system load test - Played a few games of Overwatch. Gives a realistic scenario for system-wide usage of the PC.

I know the album may appear small/blurry. Just click on it so it takes you directly Imgur so you can view it in full size.

Last edited:

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Is an open-air 7700k also that toasty with Cryorig C7 ?
Looks like the cpu throttles a lot...

That's nowhere near the maximum junction temperature of the processor, which is 100°C, so there shouldn't have been any thermal throttling.

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016
That's nowhere near the maximum junction temperature of the processor, which is 100°C, so there shouldn't have been any thermal throttling.
I see. Still 100 degrees seems hot like hell.

@DSE , will there be any serial numbers or something like that for the case?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
o boy that cpu is toasty. Maybe underclocking it would be more safe. I think 80 to 85ºC to be in the confortable zone. 4.5ghz with the c7? thats something

i want to see pictures of you test build :)

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
I see. Still 100 degrees seems hot like hell.

@DSE , will there be any serial numbers or something like that for the case?
Not on these first 10 at least. Might change with batch 2.
does i7 7700K either delidded and/or undervolted?

While using C7, I guess you need both..:)
Neither delidded nor undervolted. I should undervolt though.

Reactions: DKsystem

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
o boy that cpu is toasty. Maybe underclocking it would be more safe. I think 80 to 85ºC to be in the confortable zone. 4.5ghz with the c7? thats something

i want to see pictures of you test build :)
I'll probably end up undervolting it. Here are the pictures of the build.

p.s. I'm a huge fan of the vent patterns you use on your designs. :)
I wonder if the case sold out already. I submitted an order form last night and haven't gotten the invoice yet.
Not sold out yet. Sorry about the invoice, I must have been doing homework last night or asleep.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Shipping Update (and some details/instructions)

All currently paid-for orders have been packed. 7 cases remain.

@DKsystem I'll be shipping yours out today. You'll be the first to receive a case.
@rahulkiit and my other customer from Japan; I've printed your shipping labels already, but I'll have to hold on to your packages for a little while longer, as I am waiting for the postal service to give me some customs form envelopes. Without them, I can't ship your cases out yet.

Here's a rundown of what you can expect to get in the box.

1) Disassembled case parts
2) Screws and stuff (I go into detail below)
3) Power cable
4) 300mm Li-Heat D-Type PCI-E riser (if you opted for it)

Close up on the little baggies.

Top left: 20pc M3x5 flat head screws - These are used for assembling the case.
Top middle: 24pc M3x4 screws - These are used for screwing down your motherboard, graphics card, drive bracket, and 2.5" drives.
Top right: 9pc 6-32 screws - These are used for your PSU and for screwing a 3.5" drive to the bottom tray.
Bottom left: These are the screws and nuts to be used with your PCI-E riser (I go into detail below).
Bottom right: 4pc insulating bumpers - If you have a graphics card with no backplate, stick these on the back of your motherboard tray to protect your graphics card from shorting out.

PCI-E riser details

When installing the PCI-E riser, take the riser screws and nuts and add them to the riser as shown above. Make sure the nuts are loosened halfway down the length of the screw just like in the picture.

Then screw it onto the motherboard tray using the holes that line up.

The ribbon cable of the riser should be folded so that it curves to go underneath the female end of the riser, between itself and the motherboard tray.

Last edited:

bkydcmpr

Caliper Novice
Apr 16, 2017
This is probably the best micro ITX enclosure in the world, though I like your original grid vent better, it likely has better EMI properties. I wish you make a grid version, I'll be all over it.