Completed DSE Breathe - A 7.3L Vertical Format ITX Tower

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
how many mm that the thickness can be intalled for 92 mm radiator? black ice nemesis 92 has 54mm thickness and alphacoo nexxos 92 has 45mm thickness, not include the fan
Ah, when I said that, I was typing with the Asetek 545LC in mind, which has a radiator around something like ~30mm thick. Don't get your hopes up on squeezing a radiator into this case though. After being able to think about all the possible ways to orient that 30mm radiator + Noctua's slim 92mm fan inside the case, I realized it simply won't get enough airflow for it to be worth it.

I should probably remove that line or cross it out or something. Sorry about that.

People would be better off sticking to the Cryorig C7, Noctua L9i, or DAN's upcoming HSLP-48. ugh I want one so bad

Last edited:

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
Ah, when I said that, I was typing with the Asetek 545LC in mind, which has a radiator around something like ~30mm thick. Don't get your hopes up on squeezing a radiator into this case though. After being able to think about all the possible ways to orient that 30mm radiator + Noctua's slim 92mm fan inside the case, I realized it simply won't get enough airflow for it to be worth it.

I should probably remove that line or cross it out or something. Sorry about that.

People would be better off sticking to the Cryorig C7 or DAN's upcoming HSLP-48. ugh I want one so bad

well, if i'm using msi gtx 1070 aero itx or palit gtx 970 jet stream with Full cover water block & remove the stock heatsink (gtx 970 pcb length about 18-19cm)
is it possible for using custom loop with 120mm slim rad (ek SE120 it's 26mm thick with standard 25mm fan thick) and small pump res combo like XSPC ion? i'm still wondering using watercooling for cpu & gpu with slim radiator

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
well, if i'm using msi gtx 1070 aero itx or palit gtx 970 jet stream with Full cover water block & remove the stock heatsink (gtx 970 pcb length about 18-19cm)
is it possible for using custom loop with 120mm slim rad (ek SE120 it's 26mm thick with standard 25mm fan thick) and small pump res combo like XSPC ion? i'm still wondering using watercooling for cpu & gpu with slim radiator
No, not possible at all. A 120mm radiator and its accompanying fan will not fit anywhere inside the case unless you get rid of either the motherboard or PSU and still find a way to have a functional computer afterwards.

Nocturnize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2017
twitter.com
Cases came in today and oh man, the guys at Sliger did an absolutely incredible job. Super impressed. It's like a dream come true.

Tested fitment with my parts and can confirm the case 100% works with having computer hardware installed in it. Probably will make some minor adjustments in the next batch for even better component fit though.

I'm very happy. And excited.

What a tease, you got to play around with them yet no photos for us!

Not questioning, just wondering, what made you pick Sliger over Protocase after deciding to use a modular layout? Also, how was your experience with them different from Protocase when submitting your design and getting a quote?

Reactions: DSE

Frazhna

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
I just stumbled on this thread. I love it. I'm glad you stuck to your guns regarding the top I/O. I have been thinking of this layout a lot, and I also came to the same conclusion that it gets comically long if you extend the sides to hide the cables. Also, if you don't have some way to route them internally, you still have a bunch of cables sticking out near the top anyway. I imagine that if somebody really wanted it inverted, they could come up with a stand or something that would allow them to invert it. The question then is, what does the bottom (the new top) look like? If that part of the case looks nice, people could also make stands to lay the case on it's side if they wanted as well. Personally, I like the orientation and way you have designed it. I live in a small apartment in the city, which means I don't have room for a large desk, so the super tiny footprint on your design is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: DSE

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
What a tease, you got to play around with them yet no photos for us!

Not questioning, just wondering, what made you pick Sliger over Protocase after deciding to use a modular layout? Also, how was your experience with them different from Protocase when submitting your design and getting a quote?

lol, you I know I love to tease. How's this for a picture? ;)

uhh, my design decision to make the case modular had no bearing on my choice of Sliger over Protocase. That decision was actually made pretty early on when James pointed me in Sliger's direction. And that decision was made purely on the basis of cost and equipment—which pretty much also determines the cost.

You see, when I sent the most recent modular design to Sliger and Protocase for quoting, Protocase wanted something around $800 just to make one case (and that was after negotiation), while Sliger told me they could make two cases, maybe even three, for $500; take into consideration the progressive unit pricing discount of ordering in volume, and that's where we arrive at me being able to price the case at $150 today, of which I am very proud of.

This massive price disparity between the two manufacturers is largely due to equipment. Sliger has a combo CNC punch+laser while Protocase only has a laser (and some other machines too, just no CNC punch) to cut through sheet metal. Sliger's CNC punch+laser can punch and cut out repeated patterns, like the staggered slots all around my case, very very quickly. The laser only engages to cut paths and shapes that the punch tooling cannot. Protocase's laser, in comparison to a punch, moves relatively slowly, cutting and going along the dozens of meters of path length in order to cut out all the shapes in the flat pattern of the case, while also using more energy during all that time.

When you're getting something manufactured like this, it's not so much the material you're paying for, it's the time.

It was nice to be able to have the case production quality of both Sliger and Protocase as known quantities through James' various cases and Linus' (LinusTechTips) projects, so I had confidence in ordering from either of them. It all just came down to price. I didn't get my cases from Protocase, but what I did get from them was a whole lot of advice and knowledge about what can and cannot be done with sheet metal - and that is something I am very thankful for.

And that brings me to your second question.

To submit my design and get a quote from Sliger, I had to email Kahlin himself. He usually responded back the same day or the day after. Although there was a time where weeks went by before I got another response. This was because Sliger also has other orders to fulfill that may require much of their resources. It was completely understandable though. I know that I'm a low priority when they're dealing with companies and organizations that are much bigger and more important than me. To offset this delay, Kahlin suggested that I make the engineering drawings myself, as that would speed up the process greatly. I didn't have a problem doing that, so I did.

To submit my design and get a quote from Protocase, all I had to do was upload the 3D model of my case to the quoting page on their site and within a day or so, I was assigned a person who would take care of me and my project. They responded quickly, always emailing me back the same day or the next, happy to answer any dumb questions I may have had or talk to their engineers to let me know if there were any errors in my design. Very handhold-y, which is nice. But you know, as I said before, once Protocase quoted me their price, I knew I was going to go with Sliger instead. So to avoid wasting Kahlin's time, what I did was basically pinball between the two. I would email Protocase, asking stuff like what would be more cost effective, etc., then I would take that advice and make changes to my design and then prepare a new set of engineering drawings to send to Kahlin.

People should go to Protocase if they need more help in designing their case or need a case made super quick. People should go to Sliger if they're more experienced and are okay with waiting longer at the benefit of saving a whole lot of money.

I went with Sliger and had to wait a while, but in the end, I couldn't be happier. The wait was well worth it. Unboxing and seeing those parts exactly how I designed them is something, a feeling that is indescribable. It's like seeing your child be born - not that I know what that's like (I'm only 19), but that's how I imagine it to be.

Hopefully this short essay answers your questions.

I just stumbled on this thread. I love it. I'm glad you stuck to your guns regarding the top I/O. I have been thinking of this layout a lot, and I also came to the same conclusion that it gets comically long if you extend the sides to hide the cables. Also, if you don't have some way to route them internally, you still have a bunch of cables sticking out near the top anyway. I imagine that if somebody really wanted it inverted, they could come up with a stand or something that would allow them to invert it. The question then is, what does the bottom (the new top) look like? If that part of the case looks nice, people could also make stands to lay the case on it's side if they wanted as well. Personally, I like the orientation and way you have designed it. I live in a small apartment in the city, which means I don't have room for a large desk, so the super tiny footprint on your design is greatly appreciated.

Thanks; I'm glad you and I see eye to eye on pretty much everything with the case. I too have thought about the possibility of orienting the case in ways other than its intended vertical stance.

This is what the bottom of the case looks like. Keep in mind that the PSU's power cable comes out from here.

I know exactly what you mean about laying the case on its side. A cover/faceplate could be made for the bottom/front of the case to make it pretty, but then those people would have to deal with the odd issue of having a power cable come out the front of their case. I guess I could make slots in the case that allow for the power cable to be rerouted back into the case and out the top/back, but I should probably avoid doing that, as I don't want to tread on DAN's toes.

I used to live in a tiny jail cell of a dorm room with a minuscule desk last year, so I feel you.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
When this will be available for order.
Have you decided the price ?

I'm still waiting on a few things to arrive, most notably the power buttons, which take quite a while to ship from China (the tracking on them isn't detailed; I order them, get a notification they got shipped out, and then they show up in my mailbox something like 20 days later), so until they arrive, I can't give an exact date for when I'll be ready for orders. A good estimate is early November.

The price will be $150, not including shipping.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Just got the Li-Heat D-Type riser samples in today. Confirming that they do work with the current design of the motherboard tray.

I'm quite fond of the sliding lock Li-Heat has got on the female end of the riser. It's very nifty.

Also got all my needed screws in, so behold, have a picture of the assembled case.

Still waiting on the power buttons. :\
I really need a proper photo setup.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Just got the Li-Heat D-Type riser samples in today. Confirming that they do work with the current design of the motherboard tray.

I'm quite fond of the sliding lock Li-Heat has got on the female end of the riser. It's very nifty.

Also got all my needed screws in, so behold, have a picture of the assembled case.

Still waiting on the power buttons. :\
I really need a proper photo setup.

This is probably me just being impatient and giddy, but I'm so ready to move from my dan case to this...

How the structural rigidity? Since its steel now, does it flex a lot since the only internal structure is the motherboard tray? I primarily use small itx cases because I transport my pc around for performances, vr demos, etc, so I need the case to not have too much "give" when I pick it up and move it.

Thanks for the updates!

Reactions: DSE and Biowarejak

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
This is probably me just being impatient and giddy, but I'm so ready to move from my dan case to this...

How the structural rigidity? Since its steel now, does it flex a lot since the only internal structure is the motherboard tray? I primarily use small itx cases because I transport my pc around for performances, vr demos, etc, so I need the case to not have too much "give" when I pick it up and move it.

Thanks for the updates!
Extremely rigid. You can sit on the case and it doesn't flex at all.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Done. Sold. Exactly what I want hear. Take my money. Haha

Will you have an option to ship with a riser at additional cost?

Looking forward to the order and ship dates, best of luck again!
Yep, that's the plan.

Thanks, looking forward to ship a case to you!

Reactions: Biowarejak

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
How's it coming on those finished build photos? ;)
Not quite time yet, but soon. ;)

Really digging this design!

When will this case be available for purchase, and have you settled on a price with the PCIe riser included?

Early November. I'll be placing an order with yawacool for risers for this batch before the end of this month, so when that deal goes down, that's when I'll have that number.

Reactions: gunpalcyril

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
God damn it, i kind of really want one of these, is there anywhere we can sign up to get notified when orders go live?