Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Reactions: caniplaymayo

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I see. Thanks for telling me. I value it greatly.

Looks like this is per the LiHeat riser. Checked 3 GPUs - all have the same insertion issue.

Here's the 3 biggest takeaways during the build process:
  1. You need a low-profile power cable (hopefully Sliger can include one in future batches). Since your power cable will come out the bottom of the case, it'll stick out and your case won't be level.

I will add this as an option on page for next batch.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
Looks like this is per the LiHeat riser. Checked 3 GPUs - all have the same insertion issue.

I will add this as an option on page for next batch.

So what can the user do about the GPU? My case just arrived but reading about the GPU issues worries me.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
So what can the user do about the GPU? My case just arrived but reading about the GPU issues worries me.

You should not have problems, just push the slide clip back all the way and the card slides in. I would loosen the power switch nut first as well.

You can remove the screws holding the riser in, insert the GPU, attach the riser, then reinsert the mounting screws if you don't want to mess around with trying to angle it in.

Reactions: Biowarejak and DSE

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
Yep. It was my preference to have the case made out of steel so that it would be even more rigid with my latest design changes. We'll go back to steel for the next revision to really minimize flex.

How much strength will going full steel add to the spine's structural integrity? I'm tossing around a couple thoughts for that variation, mostly just for funsies:
  1. Drill a small opening next to the PSU (HD cage position), and add a mini front panel.
  2. Replace PSU with HD Plex, and use the existing PSU hole for dual 40mm fan mount and/or mini front panel.
  3. HD Plex + 3.5" HD or second 2.5" array for NAS.

Last edited:

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
"I like heatsinks" -> Love that quote!

MSI GAMING x TRIO:
325 x 140 x 48

DSE:
  • Maximum card height: 152mm (bottom of card PCIe tab to top of power connector wires)
  • Maximum card length: 330mm
It will fit =) Will post some pictures when it is done.
I have a 8700k (not planning on OC), I will use the nh-l9i with a redux 25mm fan.
Thanks for the reply!

Just a heads up, if you are using the noctua b9 redux 1600, don't use it. The stock fan spins much faster and performs better, the b9 redux is more for airflow, despite its small size. I've tried it, and got worse temps.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
We have two white and one red still available for anyone that's looking to get one.

PM me if you'd like me to hold one until weekend when you get paid or anything like that.

Reactions: DSE

LaboonTheWhale

Caliper Novice
Jun 14, 2018
@KSliger I have the black on the way, tempted to order that red to compare the 2. I could I just sell to someone online. (as returns can be hassles on both parties) I couldn't decide the color in time :p

Last edited:

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Jun 23, 2018
Just a heads up, if you are using the noctua b9 redux 1600, don't use it. The stock fan spins much faster and performs better, the b9 redux is more for airflow, despite its small size. I've tried it, and got worse temps.
Thanks for the insight!

What would be the best cpu heatsink option for this case? (silence over temperatures)?

Waiting for the DSE =)

Reactions: DSE and Damascus

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
@DSE, @KSliger:

Good news is that my GPU no longer has problems fitting in.

Bad news is that the retention clip snapped in half. This was probably 99% my fault since I was pretty rough with it on my first installation attempt. In this case, while the GPU was properly installed, I pulled up on the GPU, and the mating dongle went right through.

The GPU still fits snugly without the retention clip, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: anoldfriend

LaboonTheWhale

Caliper Novice
Jun 14, 2018
Probably an axp-100 modded to take a slim noctua fan under the heatsink
I hav emy axp-100rh and trying to think of how to fit that underneath and fasten it. I realized that if I "pull" air up through the radiator, then the fans are going to collide with radiator and probably wont spin. If I flip it down with fan pushing air up through the rad, then its not going to have much breathing space. How did you go about fastening yours? zipties?

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I hav emy axp-100rh and trying to think of how to fit that underneath and fasten it. I realized that if I "pull" air up through the radiator, then the fans are going to collide with radiator and probably wont spin. If I flip it down with fan pushing air up through the rad, then its not going to have much breathing space. How did you go about fastening yours? zipties?

Mine is en route as we speak, fetting my info from here. I'll probably use zipties or see if I can get a bracket printed out

And this is a decent resource for the various fan configs. Different cooler but similar enough design that the results should carry through
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4AS6UstwzMCm3tFf191iPw

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Thanks for the insight!

What would be the best cpu heatsink option for this case? (silence over temperatures)?

Waiting for the DSE =)

I've personally only tried two coolers; the Cryorig C7 and C7 Cu, and I can tell you the C7 Cu is definitely worth it if you compare my old and new thermal tests. The C7 Cu runs noticeably quieter since overall temps are cooler.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
@DSE, @KSliger:

Good news is that my GPU no longer has problems fitting in.

Bad news is that the retention clip snapped in half. This was probably 99% my fault since I was pretty rough with it on my first installation attempt. In this case, while the GPU was properly installed, I pulled up on the GPU, and the mating dongle went right through.

The GPU still fits snugly without the retention clip, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Interesting.

Reactions: Biowarejak

LaboonTheWhale

Caliper Novice
Jun 14, 2018
Mine is en route as we speak, fetting my info from here. I'll probably use zipties or see if I can get a bracket printed out

And this is a decent resource for the various fan configs. Different cooler but similar enough design that the results should carry through
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4AS6UstwzMCm3tFf191iPw
I wish they would show how they mounted the fan. Because I just modified my axp-100RH and I cannot ziptie the fan without it colliding with the heatsink fins or the fan blades hitting the mounting plate.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I wish they would show how they mounted the fan. Because I just modified my axp-100RH and I cannot ziptie the fan without it colliding with the heatsink fins or the fan blades hitting the mounting plate.
Yeah, it's quite frustrating. I'll let you know how mine goes

Reactions: DSE