Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Hmm I actually never heard that powder coating is sturdier than anodization, only that it is much cheaper than anodization. Powder coating is also able to achieve more consistent colors, but anodization is often much more resistant to scratches / pollutants when it comes to durability and less shiny in appearance (shinier = cheaper looking for alu imo).

Anyway, will be interested to see what you come up with in the future! :thumb:

That's really not true. Anodised finish have huge variance in their scratch resistance. Only Type 3 hardcoard finish actually offer increased scratch resistance (this is usually achieved by running the acid bath at elevated temperatures. Regular room temperature Type 2 commercial anodising finish scratches very easily. On the other hand, powdercoating can also offer very durable finish, depending on which powder system you choose (as a point of comparison, Cerakote is a trademarked type of powdercoat that is quite often used on firearms and provide a durable surface that is relatively resistant to wear).

The blanket assertion that anodising is somehow better and more scratch resistant is completely untrue. It all depends on what type of anodised finish you're comparing against what type of powder coat

Reactions: ChorizoNinja

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Hmm I actually never heard that powder coating is sturdier than anodization, only that it is much cheaper than anodization. Powder coating is also able to achieve more consistent colors, but anodization is often much more resistant to scratches / pollutants when it comes to durability and less shiny in appearance (shinier = cheaper looking for alu imo).

Anyway, will be interested to see what you come up with in the future! :thumb:
Im not a professional at this so I can just speak for my experiences. They sent me an anodized one, and it got scratches even when i unboxed it. It was a non coloured anodization, but It didnt feels right for me. Powdercoating has a lot of different options, like surface thickness, materials etc. There are coatings for outside usage thats are really durable, and can be matt, with almost absolute no shine. I think If I go for a CNCd case, I choose anodization anyways, but for a sheet metal case powdercoating is simply better. I choosed deep matt colors, because I feel the same as you, shinier is cheaper looking.

Reactions: an_Age and bricemx

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

My Mi-6 was black powder coated and I really preferred it to the Ncase I had previously. Was really scratch resistant and not shiny at all.

cldskt

Trash Compacter
Mar 5, 2020
Im not a professional at this so I can just speak for my experiences. They sent me an anodized one, and it got scratches even when i unboxed it. It was a non coloured anodization, but It didnt feels right for me. Powdercoating has a lot of different options, like surface thickness, materials etc. There are coatings for outside usage thats are really durable, and can be matt, with almost absolute no shine. I think If I go for a CNCd case, I choose anodization anyways, but for a sheet metal case powdercoating is simply better. I choosed deep matt colors, because I feel the same as you, shinier is cheaper looking.
Gotcha. I am no expert in the matter either, just speaking from experience in mechanical keyboard CNC'ed aluminium finishing.

My Mi-6 was black powder coated and I really preferred it to the Ncase I had previously. Was really scratch resistant and not shiny at all.

Ohh that certainly looks good. I stand corrected then!

Reactions: diceboii13

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Gotcha. I am no expert in the matter either, just speaking from experience in mechanical keyboard CNC'ed aluminium finishing.

Ohh that certainly looks good. I stand corrected then!

The reason powdercoating isn't seen more often in the keebsworld is because it's harder to control for thickness which could cause problems especially with close-toleranced parts like top-mounted boards. Designers tend to stick with what they know (and also with powdercoating, the quality of the finish is more dependent on quality control of the powders, cleaning procedures, oven temperature, cooling procedure etc... more steps for things to go wrong if the powdercoater factory is not up to the task and don't have stringent quality control processes)

cldskt

Trash Compacter
Mar 5, 2020
The reason powdercoating isn't seen more often in the keebsworld is because it's harder to control for thickness which could cause problems especially with close-toleranced parts like top-mounted boards. Designers tend to stick with what they know (and also with powdercoating, the quality of the finish is more dependent on quality control of the powders, cleaning procedures, oven temperature, cooling procedure etc... more steps for things to go wrong if the powdercoater factory is not up to the task and don't have stringent quality control processes)

Yeah that makes sense. I know very few designers actually use powder coating regularly (like Norbauer). Many factories in China are also more accustomed to doing anodization (a lot of makers share the same anodizing factories) and hence the prudent approach by the designers is "doing what works".

Nonetheless, I would be excited to see if @diceboii13 wants to explore anodizing and compare it with powdercoating, picking whichever has the best value/looks/other metrics that are important to him.

Reactions: diceboii13

benlo335

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 13, 2020
When will it be availbe to buy again? And what will be the price with distrotplate included? I really love this case.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Yeah that makes sense. I know very few designers actually use powder coating regularly (like Norbauer). Many factories in China are also more accustomed to doing anodization (a lot of makers share the same anodizing factories) and hence the prudent approach by the designers is "doing what works".

Nonetheless, I would be excited to see if @diceboii13 wants to explore anodizing and compare it with powdercoating, picking whichever has the best value/looks/other metrics that are important to him.

Actually yes that is a good point. Forgot about Norba. IIRC the first round of the Norbatouch had some issues, so from round 2 as well as all subsequent cases he made (Norbaforce and the 65% whatever that one is called etc...) he went with a local finishing shop for the powdercoat options, purely because it makes it easier for him to relay the quality requirements to and from the shop, and to have better control over the paint finish, start to finish.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
When will it be availbe to buy again? And what will be the price with distrotplate included? I really love this case.
End of the summer, so around September-October timeframe.
The price is 225euro (vented sidepanels) 235euro (glass or mixed sidepanels) And it will be available again around August - September I think. ?

Reactions: bricemx and D10S

xunilon

Chassis Packer
Dec 5, 2019
So as I've been thinking about how I'm going to build in this case, I'm realizing that it's going to be a real pain to open up and close it. I'll have to unscrew at least 4 screws holding the top and bottom expansions, and then awkwardly prop up the whole thing on a radiator (as that will be the very bottom item in my plan). Not having a frame past the core dimensions, that reaches the expansion height, will be interesting. Have you considered any way to make accessing the internals easier? I'm trying to think of ways I could mod the case to do so.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
So as I've been thinking about how I'm going to build in this case, I'm realizing that it's going to be a real pain to open up and close it. I'll have to unscrew at least 4 screws holding the top and bottom expansions, and then awkwardly prop up the whole thing on a radiator (as that will be the very bottom item in my plan). Not having a frame past the core dimensions, that reaches the expansion height, will be interesting. Have you considered any way to make accessing the internals easier? I'm trying to think of ways I could mod the case to do so.
Yes its a bit more complicated than other cases, but you will getting use to it. I think about magnets for easier disassembly, but that requires an extra turn in manufacturing whats brings up the cost signifficantly. Thats a compromise to get the expandability. With a fully CNCd case it will be easier but more expensive.

Reactions: bricemx

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
If anyone wants feet that are as expensive as the case

Or if that's not mobile enough you can get some fancy wheels for $700 ?

• Haha
Reactions: xunilon

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
If anyone wants feet that are as expensive as the case

Or if that's not mobile enough you can get some fancy wheels for $700 ?
At least free shipping ? ?