Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
I have problems with the transparent sidepanels. I just figure it out when the panels are not preferated, there is no way it can cool some new gen hardwere like the 2080ti or 9900k. And also have problems how to mount it. If you mount under the expandable panels, you cant disassembly without the sidepanel falling down. So here is my solution:

Aircooled, it can get fresh air from the sides, and from the buttom, and it can exhaust top. With watercool, it just look good! :D
What do you think, acryllic or glass sidepanels?

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
Glass side panels aren't an option (I would presume) for small orders. Most shops would give you a ridulcious quote just to tell you they don't want to do it (unless you've already gotten quotes and they were reasonable, lucky you if that's the case!). It's a common problem a lot of venders on here have expressed unless it's made in taiwan in large orders suited to a range of other cases in their lineup or a couple special designs if the manufacturer of the cases has a working history with the glass fab already. Otherwise prices are out of reach.

Reactions: diceboii13

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Glass side panels aren't an option (I would presume) for small orders.
Unless your case is being built in China you're not going to be able to afford tempered glass. You can ask @KSliger about his challenges and they run their own proper fab shop for this kind of stuff, even he can't afford TG for his cases without blowing out the cost.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
You'll probably need to get a local shop to cut glass for you at reasonable price (and you'll save on not needing to ship). Had some custom cut glass for side tables in my living room, and was a reasonable quote for the sizes (20 x 20 inches). If they specialize in display glass, pricing would be more appropriate.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Agreed, smoked grey acrylic will look awesome but it's cheap, light, easy to cut - only downside is it's easy to scratch - but it's still a better option than glass in this case

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Thanks for the answers, I also taught this cant be cheap. There is a local glass shop nearby, what I gonna reach out first for prices. They make custom window glasses but who knows.. :) I get a package soon from the PC Design Foundry, with some test pieces to mesure the strength of the build. When the bottom half opened, I fear the 2mm aluminium cant hold the whole case without significant vibration. But Andrew said its gonna be okey, aluminium is a rigged material. He make it so I will trust him! If somehow vibrate, we will change to 3mm thick for these panels.

Reactions: bricemx

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Hey Dice,

First off, that gap on the sides is not going to produce enough intake, as it has been already tested on the Raijintek Ophion cases, it will end suffocating both intake side panels, also it is aesthetically not really pleasing (adding unnecessary bulk).

Therefore following your proposed mounting process and for those who choose air ventilation while showing their internals, an acrylic side panel with a ventilated pattern (flat to surface, no gaps on the side meaning no dust and good pressure), is going to be the best choice, since it will benefit from pulling air without restriction on a straight path, eliminating the choking problem from the side openings (as mentioned above with the Raijintek cases).

Nonetheless, for those using water cooled setups while showing their internals, a full acrylic panel flat to surface creating no gap (as mentioned above), would be the best choice. Also and for those who care about performance while not showing their internals, a whole piece with a ventilated pattern will be the best to go (manufacturing costs).

Finally, all of the above is my personal opinion from all the information I have gathered based on issues on threads in this forum, main case manufacturers and other media, hope this does help you.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Hey Dice,

First off, that gap on the sides is not going to produce enough intake, as it has been already tested on the Raijintek Ophion cases, it will end suffocating both intake side panels, also it is aesthetically not really pleasing (adding unnecessary bulk).

Therefore following your proposed mounting process and for those who choose air ventilation while showing their internals, an acrylic side panel with a ventilated pattern (flat to surface, no gaps on the side meaning no dust and good pressure), is going to be the best choice, since it will benefit from pulling air without restriction on a straight path, eliminating the choking problem from the side openings (as mentioned above with the Raijintek cases).

Nonetheless, for those using water cooled setups while showing their internals, a full acrylic panel flat to surface creating no gap (as mentioned above), would be the best choice. Also and for those who care about performance while not showing their internals, a whole piece with a ventilated pattern will be the best to go (manufacturing costs).

Finally, all of the above is my personal opinion from all the information I have gathered based on issues on threads in this forum, main case manufacturers and other media, hope this does help you.
Thanks Alur! It helps a lot of course, and as I got the case in my hand, I will test everything both air and watercooled. And all the possible sidepanels too! What you mentioned is true with the pressure of air. It can be used like a Corsair 1 when everything is closed, and only the top/bottom ventilation is open, only with negative pressure. But the Raijentek cases are 4C hotter with sidepanels on both gpu/cup as I saw, so its not a big deal. Anyways, thanks for the help, I really appriciate it, and I gonna chose the better for cooling!

Reactions: bricemx and Alur

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Tonight I worked on the internal layout, and i think it looks way stronger than before. The 2 things left are the frontpanel for aircooling, and to figure out how to mount the back panel. For the frontpanel I added mounting points to an optional 120x25 fan, or an ssd. But because of the pump placement, there is only 3 mounting points.

Reactions: kviker and Alur

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Just another hype train arrived! :cool:

Its not perfect, and some parts missing like rams, but it looks super sexy imo in this matt black color. Its with 1x 240 rad in top. So it can work with only CPU watercooled.

Because of the University I will be a bit inactive till June 6, so I just leave it here for you guys!

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Just another hype train arrived! :cool:

Its not perfect, and some parts missing like rams, but it looks super sexy imo in this matt black color. Its with 1x 240 rad in top. So it can work with only CPU watercooled.

Because of the University I will be a bit inactive till June 6, so I just leave it here for you guys!

Good luck with your projects and exams, looking forward for your comeback Dice ;)

Also, stop teasing us, it looks so good.