Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
What if I just replace the top hat with a full reservoir with a ddc pump? You can mount it like a top hat, and it can take a 120mm fan under the vent holes. With a L size hat in the bottom of the case, you can get a 240 rad.

*EDIT: If i make it taller, it can have a 120 rad in the top aswell.

Sorry for the weird position of the render, but I cant turn the case without issues.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
What if I just replace the top hat with a full reservoir with a ddc pump? You can mount it like a top hat, and it can take a 120mm fan under the vent holes. With a L size hat in the bottom of the case, you can get a 240 rad.

*EDIT: If i make it taller, it can have a 120 rad in the top aswell.

Sorry for the weird position of the render, but I cant turn the case without issues.
I think the idea of making custom top hats for the Ghost is brilliant, I was thinking of making something that fits in a top hat, but just making a single thing that plops on the top actually makes way more sense.

JayzTwoCents did a Ghost custom loop with two rads and used an apogee drive pump, I can imagine something like this would have made his life much easier.

Also - agree with Elerek, I like the idea of your custom case as well, I just think the "covertable/expandable" portion is unnecessary. If someone's buying your case I'd imagine its for watercooling specifically, so who cares if it gets bigger or smaller.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Your case looks better than ghost+res... and probably cheaper too ;)
Thanks! I'm on the way to buy a 3D printer for prototyping, and the acrylic part is solved by my friend. He told me, and he showed me, he can cnc acrilyc nicely so, the only thing left is the sheet metal parts. I need to solve it somehow and everythings is going to be okey :cool:

Reactions: bricemx and Elerek

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Great looking concept. Really excited to see how your project comes to fruition. I've had a similar idea in my head but the execution has been poor.

I really like the blance of the (I really hat this term, might as well call them fedoras (sorry trillbys)) top and bottom "hats" and the distribution plate.

Reactions: diceboii13

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
I think the idea of making custom top hats for the Ghost is brilliant, I was thinking of making something that fits in a top hat, but just making a single thing that plops on the top actually makes way more sense.

JayzTwoCents did a Ghost custom loop with two rads and used an apogee drive pump, I can imagine something like this would have made his life much easier.

Also - agree with Elerek, I like the idea of your custom case as well, I just think the "covertable/expandable" portion is unnecessary. If someone's buying your case I'd imagine its for watercooling specifically, so who cares if it gets bigger or smaller.
Thanks! I saw JayzTwoCents build, and I love it. Maybe it can help a lot ppl. I think, I made multiple sizes, from it, like a normal one when you can mount a single fan under it for exhaust, and a larger one if someone needs the extra 120 rad. But its just an idea now. In my priority list the first thing is my case.

The reason why I wanted the expandability is to dont force ppl to chose. The buyer can build his PC as he want. If he want just one rad, and dont need the extra size on the top, just closing it, and its done. If you know what I mean. I dont want them to buy extra hats, or larger case because he needs 2 more fans. :p

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Great looking concept. Really excited to see how your project comes to fruition. I've had a similar idea in my head but the execution has been poor.

I really like the blance of the (I really hat this term, might as well call them fedoras (sorry trillbys)) top and bottom "hats" and the distribution plate.
Thanks! It not seems like hard or complicated, but I think really hard to figure out how can I make it without extra unnecessary parts.. lol. Its a bit of a "half open" case now but I cant close these holes in the front and the back because of the cables that come from the IO shield. It will cover it. Maybe some dustfilters can solve this.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
If this ever goes to production, I'd want to see someone do a mod of the case where it expands and contracts based on temps ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: diceboii13

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Nice project! May not watercool for a while (been WC-ing some 5 years ago before the SFF bug bit me) but here's my input. The top hat being reusable for a res/pump combo is a great idea and such a nice way to show off the loop if the top serves as junctions between tubes for all the components.

Also I think 5.25" bay reservoir/pump combos are underrated in the context of SFF. Those are just slightly narrower than a 140mm radiator and with a short 45mm profile. In place of the custom CNC'd reservoir, users could also have the option to install a bay res with a supplementary 120 or 140 rad behind it.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Actually a top hat mounted Distro place would be interesting, if you could make one up that occupies a 120mm fan slot then that could be a good option for people wanting to do bottom rad, top pump/res and a second exhaust fan next to it to aid cooling.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Nice project! May not watercool for a while (been WC-ing some 5 years ago before the SFF bug bit me) but here's my input. The top hat being reusable for a res/pump combo is a great idea and such a nice way to show off the loop if the top serves as junctions between tubes for all the components.

Also I think 5.25" bay reservoir/pump combos are underrated in the context of SFF. Those are just slightly narrower than a 140mm radiator and with a short 45mm profile. In place of the custom CNC'd reservoir, users could also have the option to install a bay res with a supplementary 120 or 140 rad behind it.
If you mean the Ghost, that was my idea (and @ermac318 helped me to figure out ;)), to just replace the top hat with a custom reservoir/ pump unit. Just need to screw it down and its done. And it has a nice cutout in the back side to mount a 120 fan or rad. I think the Ghost didn't support 140 ones. Thanks btw!

Reactions: bricemx

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Hi guys, I'm just finishing the 3D modells before it goes for the first prototyping period. I found a guy at the UK, who will help me to bring this project alive. Check him out, he's got nice projects, and a pretty good workshop! If somebody want to get a custom pc case, he can do it for sure: https://www.pcdesignfoundry.com

I redesigned the distro plate. It looks way better then before (not in the renders unfortunatelly), I fixed the ventholes, and I add cutouts for the 280 rads, so I hope everything fits. If I got news or pics about it, I'll post it there.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Your new design looks super rad (pun intended ?)!
How many inlets/outlets are on the distro plate?
Got it! :D
There is 2 inlet, and 1 outlet. The 2 inlets can join almost directly to the top rad. Because of the D5 pump, there is no space left for an outlet in the VGA side. Thats the reason for the 1 outlet. I make some drawings about it, and it will work!

Reactions: bricemx

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Got it! :D
There is 2 inlet, and 1 outlet. The 2 inlets can join almost directly to the top rad. Because of the D5 pump, there is no space left for an outlet in the VGA side. Thats the reason for the 1 outlet. I make some drawings about it, and it will work!
I guess I'm confused how you do a loop with different numbers of inlets and outlets, but I'm not custom loop expert so I will defer to those who are and look forward to the results!

When fully extended, how many liters of volume would the case take up? What about with one side extended but not the other? Fully collapsed?

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
I guess I'm confused how you do a loop with different numbers of inlets and outlets, but I'm not custom loop expert so I will defer to those who are and look forward to the results!

When fully extended, how many liters of volume would the case take up? What about with one side extended but not the other? Fully collapsed?

Only one inlet can be used in time, the other will be closed by a fitting. Its just the opportunity to use the side you want for inlet. The fluid will come in the top left or the top right, but goes in the same way. Go through the reservoir, the pump, and come out in the right down (its a front view).
I dont know yet about the volume. But when the case arrive, I'm gonna test it. You can use it with only one rad, both top, and bottom. When I can try it, I will make a guide about it. Fully collapsed there is space for 2 slim fans on the bottom.