DAN C4-SFX

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
V1300 results haven't been published yet, but the v1100 is a little louder than the 850r extreme sfx up until ~700W, but yeah not by much. There is also a big price difference though.
For the vast majority of people SF750 is still the king, it can run a 4090 + 13900k just fine, and it is signficantly cheaper than both the CM v1100 and the extreme sfx 850r.
100% agreed - SF750 is best option for vast majority of people right now. Best pricing, best cables, solid reliability record since it's been on the market for a while, lots of data points as far as any common issues are concerned, not sfx-l so no size related compatibility issues etc..

Loki, even at same 750W, looks like a bigger upgrade though - essentially a chonky SF750 v2 with SFX 4.0 (IIRC they're both made by Great Wall).

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

m4nii

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2022
The PSUs just arrived - and, as I already assumed, the CM V 1300 is not quite SFX sized with the outside sockets. Due to the fact that i have no CPU yet and I had to return the mainborad i'll just stick them in one of my A4s for some basic testing (i can't test heavy load/12VHPWR as i don't have the neccessary hardware yet). Packaging states that the SST has a Zero-Noise Mode, FAN on the CM is always on (might be due to the fact that it delivers significantly more power).

They both have a dedicated 12VHPWR (12+4 PIN) socket on the PSU side - so no PCIE breakout cables here.

For me - if the SST can handle the 4090 without any (significant) performance loss, i'll stick to the SST. Also interresting fact: cablemod just told me, that they don't do custom cables for the CM, only for the SST (although ticket is still open, it doesn't look as if they change their mind on that).

Last edited:

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
The PSUs just arrived - and, as I already assumed, the CM V 1300 is not quite SFX sized with the outside sockets. Due to the fact that i have no CPU yet and I had to return the mainborad i'll just stick them in one of my A4s for some basic testing (i can't test heavy load/12VHPWR as i don't have the neccessary hardware yet). Packaging states that the SST has a Zero-Noise Mode, FAN on the CM is always on (might be due to the fact that it delivers significantly more power).

They both have a dedicated 12VHPWR (12+4 PIN) socket on the PSU side - so no PCIE breakout cables here.

For me - if the SST can handle the 4090 without any (significant) performance loss, i'll stick to the SST. Also interresting fact: cablemod just told me, that they don't do custom cables for the CM, only for the SST (although ticket is still open, it doesn't look as if they change their mind on that).

Those outside sockets on the CM 1300 are pretty wild. Have to wonder if something unusual like that will impact overall product quality / durability / lifespan - I don’t think I’d risk buying one until there are six months or so of user reviews.

Can’t imagine that theme CM 1300 will work reliably in cases that aren’t SFX-L so why not just design it as a proper SFX-L unit? Also cooling a 1300w psu well with a 92mm SFX fan (vs 120mm on most SFX-L units) feels like living on the edge.

1300W in SFX is definitely appealing though. SFX-L is just too big - better suited to freeing up space in tight mid towers than squeezing into SFF cases reliably.

EDIT: Unsure how much this matters, but EX850R is also newest SFX 4.0 vs CM v1300 which supports PCIE5 12VHPWR, but is older SFX 3.42.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

m4nii

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2022
I honestly don't care for those "standards" - it has to have the neccessary plugs (which both have), deliver the required power (which both should) and should not be too noisy (we'll see how that goes...). :-)

Small update on the mainboard side - cause i could not find any other X670 mITX board, i'm now giving team blue a try and should be receiving the ASUS ROG Strix Z790-I Gaming shortly - according to some reviews it has a slightly better clearance to the PCI-E Slot (hard to make that out just from fotos). I'll be test-fitting the gpu with both stock backplate and alphacool backplate - hope that this time it will work. I wouldn't have thought to run in such an issue, even cause the stock backplate doesn't look so much thinner than the alpha cool one.

@dondan what combos of motherboards/gpus have you tried/had in your test-builds? were all your gpu's stock or did you have some watercooled ones with custom backplates?

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
I think SFX 4.0 ~1000W with 600W 12VHPWR will be the sweet spot design wise this PSU gen. Unfortunately no models announced (or expected) yet except chonky 1000W Loki SFX-L.

Corsair SF1000L is SFX-L too. Hopefully Seasonic has something exciting coming in SFX ~1000W - like a Vertex SGX-1000 or SPX-1000.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Here's the photo of an Arctic II in a NR200. Those have 155mm of clearance, 10mm more than this case. Maaaaybe it'll be possible in this case but those bends sure look tight to me.

Just for some IRL data on this: The Artic LF II allows for some astounding amount of abuse. I've done a few test fittings in the Meshlicious, before building the system in my intermediate case, and cleareances are roughly about the same - ie. when using an mATX board and thus having to put the radiator on the GPU side.

You might want to consider the 240 mm (A-RGB!) version over the 280, because tests show its next to identical in terms of cooling performance as the 360 version. And well, it adds 2 mm of clearance :)

cu, w0lf.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@dondan what combos of motherboards/gpus have you tried/had in your test-builds? were all your gpu's stock or did you have some watercooled ones with custom backplates?

Motherboard = Gigabyte X570 ITX only
GPUs = NVIDIA RTX 3080 FE, NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE, NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE, KFA2 RTX 3080

illtrick

Cable Smoosher
Jan 13, 2022
Just for some IRL data on this: The Artic LF II allows for some astounding amount of abuse. I've done a few test fittings in the Meshlicious, before building the system in my intermediate case, and cleareances are roughly about the same - ie. when using an mATX board and thus having to put the radiator on the GPU side.

You might want to consider the 240 mm (A-RGB!) version over the 280, because tests show its next to identical in terms of cooling performance as the 360 version. And well, it adds 2 mm of clearance :)

cu, w0lf.
Thanks!

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

m4nii

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2022
Got my hands on the ASUS ROG Strix Z790-I today and it has way better backplate clearanc on the PCI-Ex5 Slot. So i'm going for Intel once again - although i really wanted to make an AMD build this time... - so i try to get my hands on a 13900K and start building and testing :)

The only thing i'm a bitt worried about is the M.2 SSD bending problem Asus has with their current mobo generation -i'v already seen it on the X670 and Z790 seems to be the same (theres lot's of reports about that in the web).

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Got my hands on the ASUS ROG Strix Z790-I today and it has way better backplate clearanc on the PCI-Ex5 Slot. So i'm going for Intel once again - although i really wanted to make an AMD build this time... - so i try to get my hands on a 13900K and start building and testing :)

The only thing i'm a bitt worried about is the M.2 SSD bending problem Asus has with their current mobo generation -i'v already seen it on the X670 and Z790 seems to be the same (theres lot's of reports about that in the web).

What m.2 bending issue? Which m.2 slot locations are affected?

m4nii

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2022
e.g. M.2 drive bending when heatsink screwed down. (asus.com)- its already been an issue with the Z690.
on the X670 i had it in both slots - as soon as you tighten the screws of the heatsink the m.2 bends - in the middleof the card it were almost 3mm.
still have to check the slots on the Z790.

Edit:
M.2 SSD mounted in the bottom slot of my Z790-I ...

Edit #2:
There are some additional rubber-spacers included which make the situation slightly better, but i'm still not comfortable knowing which forces are there on the m.2 drive to make it bend that way...

Last edited:

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
You just do not tighten the screws all the way down.
Have the same "problem" woth my X670E-I but i recognized it while assembling and just reacted accordingly.

dreesi

Cable Smoosher
Jan 21, 2021
Hey guys, is there someone who travels with his sff-build? I have a ncase m1 v5 and plan to replace it with the dan-c4-sfx.

I plan to travel via train or plane in June and want to get my sff build with me (d4 will get me addicted^^), what travel bags do you have or do you plan to buy for your c4-sfx?

boundary-stone

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2023
Hey guys, is there someone who travels with his sff-build? I have a ncase m1 v5 and plan to replace it with the dan-c4-sfx.

I plan to travel via train or plane in June and want to get my sff build with me (d4 will get me addicted^^), what travel bags do you have or do you plan to buy for your c4-sfx?
Dan A4-H2O would be better suited to travel. 1/3 smaller and likely significantly lighter too.

If you're going to travel with it a lot plan your build around water cooling - way more contact points keeping the radiator in place (6+) than a heatsink (2) and much less weight related stress on the mobo during transit. Maybe C4-SFX would be worth the extra volume if you have a $$$$ GPU and can take advantage of the dual radiator support to watercool it, making the GPU less prone to damage during transit too?

Last edited:
Reactions: dreesi