DAN A4-SFX v4.1

anttip

Cable Smoosher
Jan 1, 2019
I'm almost done with my DAN A4 v3 build. Overall the case has excellent build quality, but the airflow remains unsatisfactory. v4 should fix some of these issues, but the case could have 10-20C better thermals with some changes.

Only slim fans will fit like Noctua NF-A9x14 or Akasa Slimfan, or small 40mm fans like NF-A4x20. The problem is, the slim fans don't have enough static pressure to pull air through either the case or bottom ventholes without making intolerable high-pitch noise. You can try turning on a fan and moving it either in pull or push next to the mesh, and see the change in noise. Small fans like NF-A4x20 on the other hand pull less than a fifth of the air volume compared to NF-A9x14 (9.4h vs. 50.5 m3/h), so they don't really do much.

Right now fixing the airflow is really difficult, since the only fans that fit won't have the static pressure to deal with this mesh, even if they'd pull nearly as much air as bigger 120mm fans. The best I can do without cutting the case is adding NF-A12x25 to the backside and Akasa Slimfan in front of the motherboard, both bolted and pushing through the mesh. Custom side/top panels could give less resistance for the fans. Or if the case was just a tiny bit bigger, it could fit 120mm fans in bottom and top to get a good airflow through without noise.

I'm considering heavily modding the case to get the airflow fixed. But it's probably just easier to see how v4 will turn out, or switch to a competing case that fits 120mm, like Ghost S1.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
So, I checked the interwebz and seem that some ppl succeeded to combine an ftw3 with a 545lc, so there will be a rematch.

Though, I did score a corsair h55 today for about €35 brand new. Probably will switch to the 120mm cooler later on but still want to retry the 545lc. I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, now that I got a 120mm aio, any suggestions on a good fan for it

Last edited:
Reactions: icymind and AseDen

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
to come back to the FTW3 thing.. I noticed @dondan could fit one with the 545LC. but is this a sort of adapter, or is it part of the card itself?

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
to come back to the FTW3 thing.. I noticed @dondan could fit one with the 545LC. but is this a sort of adapter, or is it part of the card itself?

Thats just the v1/v2 riser cable.

I'm waiting for some cables to come in and then I'll be trying again although I'm waiting for the new riser cable but that might take some time to come in.

Once the cables come in, there will be a retry.

I might have been to gentle when trying to fit the GPU

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The riser will not change the situation, because on every compatible riser the PCIe Socket is on the same height. I think you have to bend the tubes a bit more to fit the 545LC under the FTW.

@daddelbud Yes it will fit.

@anttip About what temps do you speak? 10-20°C lower temps by only haveing biger case fans? I don't think this is possible. What hardware do you use?

Last edited:
Reactions: fabio and PeGys

anttip

Cable Smoosher
Jan 1, 2019
@anttip About what temps do you speak? 10-20°C lower temps by only haveing biger case fans? I don't think this is possible. What hardware do you use?

Hardware:
CPU: Intel 7980xe delidded, with liquid metal + copper plate + kryonaut paste
CPU cooler: Asetek 545LC + Noctua NF-A9x14 in pull config
Motherboard: Asrock X299E-ITX/ac
PSU: Corsair SF600
Case coolers: Noctua NF-A12x25 behind PSU pushing out, Akasa Slimfan in front of mobo pushing out, NF-A4x20 in front of VRM heatsink pulling in

I can run a couple of threads at 4.7GHz, or 36 threads at 3.9. On a bigger mobo this CPU goes around 4.4G Hz on air, 4.6 on AIO with 36 threads. But the problem is, with all cores in use this case starts to accumulate heat and it doesn't get out fast enough. Doesn't matter if I clock them down to 3.2GHz, the heat just starts building up slower, but eventually hits unsafe temps. With no constant airflow through the case, the motherboard and other components start heating up, and the fans just gather the excess heat. Since the mesh is too narrow for pull-configuration slim fans, there's no way to blow a good amount of air directly on the mobo either.

10-20 is totally possible. Currently the airflow is so restricted, there's a lot to improve with simple changes:
1) the mesh could be a lot more loose, and cover almost the whole case, so there's more places for fans. This is the worst part. With the tight mesh there's little benefit from case fans
2) the dimensions could be adjusted with likely fan configurations in mind. The case is lacking some millimeters in width and 1-4 cm height to space up to 4 120mm fans. The space under mobo would need less than a centimeter to fit a thicker fan to the 545LC, or a second slim fan for push-pull. The top and bottom of the motherboard would need a couple of mm for Akasa Slimfan+grill to fit well.
3) the legs could be taller. Currently the rubber legs are a measly 5mm or so. I've added 5mm standoffs on the legs, but basically at least 25mm or more space would be needed for good airflow, especially for bottom-to-top airflow like in Raven RV02

Last edited:

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
No I meant the black thing above the riser cable. But I guess that's part of the FTW3 / PCB? I don't know for sure.

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
That, my friend, is called a PCI-E port. It is just more visible on a green pcb than a black pcb.
lol yeah, sorry for asking. Now i feel stupid lol, just wanted to be sure. But that one fits perfectly with the 545LC though? So I think there was a tube in the way or something? Idk.. you gonna take some pics when you're done? I'm curious since I want the 545LC to cool a Ryzen 2700X or 3700X

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Has anyone had any issues running the original run of Black Ridge coolers with an i7 9700K?
Going to be changing case and cooler at some point, just want to ensure the original run of BR coolers can handle the i7 in the A4?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
If you run the heatsink with VLP ram and a 120mm fan it will be possible to cool the 9700k. In the default configuration you has to limit "Long Power Duration Limit" to 110W in UEFI. Keep in mind this is only for Prime95 or AVX application for gaming it will handle the 9700k also in default configuration.

seamon

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2017
If you run the heatsink with VLP ram and a 120mm fan it will be possible to cool the 9700k. In the default configuration you has to limit "Long Power Duration Limit" to 110W in UEFI. Keep in mind this is only for Prime95 or AVX application for gaming it will handle the 9700k also in default configuration.
Any update on A4 v4?

Reactions: DarkCanuck

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
lol yeah, sorry for asking. Now i feel stupid lol, just wanted to be sure. But that one fits perfectly with the 545LC though? So I think there was a tube in the way or something? Idk.. you gonna take some pics when you're done? I'm curious since I want the 545LC to cool a Ryzen 2700X or 3700X

Well, after some swearing, sweating and luckily, no blood shedding, I succeeded. I did remove the PSU like 20 times before finding the best cable configuration for it in combination with the tubing.

It is really cramped in the case. I did nog expect to add that much pressure on the whole thing.
Also, I don't really like the pressure on the GPU to get everything to fit, but it works.

The 40mm fan on the picture was just a test. It has been removed by now.
Temps, well, not a huge improvement. I get about 5°c lower on idle and full load doesn't exceed 70°c on my 7700K, although, that might have to do something with the limited airflow in combination with the huge, hot GPU. I hope to see improvements when my G-Unique PSU comes in and I can install my Corsair Hydro H55.

I'm still on the lookout for a good fan for The Hydro H55.
I was thinking a Noctua NF-F12PWM or the new NF-F12 PPC-2000PWM because of the black color compared to the old persons prosthetic leg color...

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Well, after some swearing, sweating and luckily, no blood shedding, I succeeded. I did remove the PSU like 20 times before finding the best cable configuration for it in combination with the tubing.

It is really cramped in the case. I did nog expect to add that much pressure on the whole thing.
Also, I don't really like the pressure on the GPU to get everything to fit, but it works.

The 40mm fan on the picture was just a test. It has been removed by now.
Temps, well, not a huge improvement. I get about 5°c lower on idle and full load doesn't exceed 70°c on my 7700K, although, that might have to do something with the limited airflow in combination with the huge, hot GPU. I hope to see improvements when my G-Unique PSU comes in and I can install my Corsair Hydro H55.

I'm still on the lookout for a good fan for The Hydro H55.
I was thinking a Noctua NF-F12PWM or the new NF-F12 PPC-2000PWM because of the black color compared to the old persons prosthetic leg color...

Looks great!

Reactions: PeGys