DAN A4-SFX v4.1

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Guys, my PSU (Corsair SF450 GOLD) gets too loud under heavy load. Can I fix it by changing to a 600W version?
what is your CPU+GPU load? if the load is high and stretch the SF450 to its limit then probably yes, by going to 600/750W versions the fan may not need to ramp as much. Heck with SFX you can go to 850W right now with options from FSP and Lianli

Reactions: AlexTSG

Ngeloms

Chassis Packer
Sep 21, 2020
what is your CPU+GPU load? if the load is high and stretch the SF450 to its limit then probably yes, by going to 600/750W versions the fan may not need to ramp as much. Heck with SFX you can go to 850W right now with options from FSP and Lianli
RTX 4070 + Ryzen 5 5600X, both undervolted. So it's about 250W. Not only the PSU gets loud but it also takes forever to go back to normal when my system goes back to idle state. It's really hard to find SFX PSUs in my country and the highest capacity one I can find right now is 600W. Maybe I should wait for the Cooler Master V750 to go back to stock just to be sure?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
RTX 4070 + Ryzen 5 5600X, both undervolted. So it's about 250W. Not only the PSU gets loud but it also takes forever to go back to normal when my system goes back to idle state. It's really hard to find SFX PSUs in my country and the highest capacity one I can find right now is 600W. Maybe I should wait for the Cooler Master V750 to go back to stock just to be sure?
I think your luck is just bad. I have owned 3 SF450 and all of them were quiet. I currently have a SF600 Platinum and it is basically soundless far as I can tell. Cooler Master on the other hand has a history of loud SFX PSUs.

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
250W CPU+GPU load is not that high at all. Like rfarmer shared above, think your SF450 just had a bad fan (curve) or something.

Not sure about CM V750 but IIRC the SF750 has 0 rpm fan mode until total load exceed 300W. Or you can find Silverstone Nightjar 450W - it's a fanless SFX PSU that will be absolutely quiet.

Reactions: rfarmer and tinyitx

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Theres even higher than that, Cooler Master has an 1100W SFX PSU.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Theres even higher than that, Cooler Master has an 1100W SFX PSU.
CM has an even higher SFX PSU, ie the V1300 (1300W!)

I'm sorry but this isn't new. Check this page on Newegg and the number of Silverstone SFX PSUs that do the same thing.
Indeed, I suppose almost everyone 'cheats' a little bit...some more, some less.

Cooler Master V1300 cheats more

Corsair SF750 cheats less

sneedster

Trash Compacter
Apr 22, 2022
how much does a nf-a9 fan below the psu really help with temps in an air cooled build? is it just placebo or is there an appreciable difference?

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
@sneedster It helps alot - but use 2 fans! Also no need to got with Noctua here - above 1000rpm you get turbulence noise and below these speeds something cheaper like Scythe Kaze Slim will do just fine.
Also installing higher feet is beneficial then.

Reactions: sneedster

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
how much does a nf-a9 fan below the psu really help with temps in an air cooled build? is it just placebo or is there an appreciable difference?

Cpu is one thing, but I think the fan below the psu helps out the gpu the most. Either it's a shorter one with horizontal fins, pumping the heat above the fan - or a full lenght one with vertical fins dishing out hot air up (where it can exit in the vented top panel) and down, in which case the exhaust fan gets rid of it. Good cable management allows a 25mm in there which is quieter.
As for the slim one below the mobo, it nice but doesn't help that much. However, it can certainly be louder and it interferes a bit with the power cable too, so all things considered, I think it's optional. Having a single 25mm under the psu allowed me to set a less forgiving curve as that's still quiet, or have both at lower speeds. So you can still use it, but make sure to pay attention to have them oriented with their cables towards the middle, so that they can easily connected with a splitter and also use the rubber cornerpads. Having the riser routed on the gpu side (between the metal middle plate and the plastic sheet) allows a much sudden bend leaving more space for the fan below. Actually, that's recommended even without the slim fan.

Reactions: sneedster

randalbt8

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 9, 2023
I will show more in the next weeks then it will be more clear :)
A bit late to the party here but still wanted to say that I'm very excited to hear more details about the A4-SFX re-design! The concept shared so far looks amazing. I currently have a 5L Skyreach 4 Mini build for travel and a 20L Protolyth Slate custom loop as my main rig at home, but I've been looking for the right case to rebuild into that can be both highly portable and very power dense. Really hoping the new A4-SFX can be the one to pull it off!

Reactions: Bonusround

mhkr3

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 29, 2023
Hello, i lurked for a while, but build my last PC 20 years ago, so i'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at my part list and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

I want to build a small, relatively cheap PC to play a lot of older games i've missed, but also demanding titles like Read Dead Redemption 2 or Starfield. When it's cheaper i could see myself upgrading to a 4070.

I wanted to add a 450 Motherboard with WIFI, but there seem to be none in stock and 550 Boards are expensive. So i'm a bit stuck here.

I understand that i can place two additional fans and should set them to exhaust. Also that it would be better to raise the case a bit for better airflow and add a custom printed fan duct to the cpu cooler.

Will it be too hot, too loud? Does this build even make sense?

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I think that build makes perfect sense for the A4.

A few thoughts:

- I set my front case fan to intake per Dan’s advice. Combine this with 5mm standoff on the PCIe riser mount to create a bit of space between the PSU and card backplate, enabling greater airflow from said fan.

- Consider a >450W PSU. It’ll give you a bit of breathing room with GPU upgrades down the line.

Reactions: mhkr3

Sam0

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 31, 2023
Another small update thanks to PSlate custom cables!
The 9900K has the long power duration limited to 120W.
I am back to the brickless A4! The Aorus 2080 Ti, under load is so fucking noisy! But under stress, it never goes above 70 degrees. So it means that tweaking a bit the fan curve, it will be much better!

Hey Fabio could you help me out here? I would like to know what Aio this is in those to pics?
Regards, Sam

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hey Fabio could you help me out here? I would like to know what Aio this is in those to pics?
Regards, Sam
Looks like the older Asetek 545LC 92mm AIO. Asetek brought out an newer version of it, the 645LT, which is unfortunately discontinued since June 2022.