DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Kaiken

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2022
Very nice and interesting, although I'm wondering how that flow through design fan at the back of the card, right next to the PSU, is holding up in that case though?... In the FormD T1, people have off putted the PSU wtih some motherboard standoffs for this specific reason, but it isn't something you can do in the A4 SFX though.
I can't imagine it effects the PSU at all. The PSU fans rarely kick on.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I can't imagine it effects the PSU at all. The PSU fans rarely kick on.
I was more thinking of the GPUs back fan, seeing as it's right up against the PSU and hence doesn't have any room to breathe on that side.

OptimumTech has done several videos on the FormD T1 with the 4080 and 4090, hence my thoughts.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Ah right. As long as the rpms stick where they are, they should be ok.
Found the video regarding this specific cooler in mind:

Also attached an image from an FormD T1 case, where you can see that they have offset the PSU to give that fan some room to actually breath.

Attachments

• file2.png
    file2.png
    266.5 KB · Views: 15

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
One can insert standoffs behind the PCIe slot board that offset the GPU by a few mm and provide for a larger gap between PSU. Combined with an intake fan below the PSU (all per @dondan’s recommendations) my 3080 breathes fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawelio

Kaiken

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2022
One can insert standoffs behind the PCIe slot board that offset the GPU by a few mm and provide for a larger gap between PSU. Combined with an intake fan below the PSU (all per @dondan’s recommendations) my 3080 breathes fine.
Interesting. I thought exhaust was the way to go.

Mitohondri

Caliper Novice
Dec 14, 2021
For my Inno3d 4070ti I used the adapter which came with the GPU and routed the cable round the front of the case (where the vertically mounted drive is located - I moved the drive to the bottom of the case to make space for the cables). I have the Corsair SF600. Can post a pic if you like.
sorry didnt see the post.

if your still up to it, pictures would help me a lot, since i plan to get that exact card. while you at it, can you tell me more about your setup.

what CPU you use, and how is the noise and temperatures of the system while gaming, and if its all stock or you did some undervolting, mainly for GPU.

Thank you very much in advance.

FredL

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2023
sorry didnt see the post.

if your still up to it, pictures would help me a lot, since i plan to get that exact card. while you at it, can you tell me more about your setup.

what CPU you use, and how is the noise and temperatures of the system while gaming, and if its all stock or you did some undervolting, mainly for GPU.

Thank you very much in advance.
Most welcome. The GPU almost fills the full length of the case, so I couldn't find a way to run the cables down the side of the GPU:

So instead I ran the cables down the front of the case and then underneath the GPU through to the PSU:

Top view:

I tried a 12VHPWR cable for the GPU ( ), it was too long.

The CPU is a 5600X, and I'm using VLP ram (Micron 2x16gb, 3200mhz) which allows space for a larger 120mm fan (Noctua NF-A12x15) for the CPU. The cooler is the Alpenfohn Black Ridge. The drives are an M.2 Samsung 970 plus a couple of crucial SSDs. I don't use any other fans.

I don't do any undervolting on either the CPU or GPU - in fact I overclock the GPU by using the afterburner OC Scanner's suggestions. The game which stretches the system to the max is MSFS in VR (an HP Reverb G2), during which the system goes into full hairdryer mode, but not loud enough to be noticed with headphones or a headset on. I've adjusted the fan curves to go to 100% during heavy usage, and GPU temps reach ~70 - 80 degrees with DLSS quality. I don't see any throttling. During productivity (Blender, Unity, ML) the system is whisper quiet. I've actually adjusted the min GPU fan speed up to 30%, and it's still quiet, and temps are around 30 degrees. CPU temps are fine with both gaming and productivity.

My only major heat issue is while running furmark:

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any other questions (or if anyone has any suggestions to improve this further).

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
So instead I ran the cables down the front of the case and then underneath the GPU through to the PSU:

That's basically how you should run the GPU cables, since I believe that small square hole is made for those cables. Plus it looks so much nicer when they are ran there instead of being tucked around the GPU itself.

Reactions: FredL

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020
For air cooling, nothing out-performs the black ridge using a 120mm fan correct? Is there any configuration that matches it without relying on VLP?

FredL

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2023
For air cooling, nothing out-performs the black ridge using a 120mm fan correct? Is there any configuration that matches it without relying on VLP?
I think so, but if there’s a better air cooled approach I’d like to know about it!

Also, could anyone estimate how well a 7800X or even a 7950X would perform with a 120mm fan + black ridge? I had assumed the heat would be way too much for the A4 case, and was considering the C4, but with a suitable undervolt maybe it would manageable?

ZTylerDurden

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2020
I think so, but if there’s a better air cooled approach I’d like to know about it!

Also, could anyone estimate how well a 7800X or even a 7950X would perform with a 120mm fan + black ridge? I had assumed the heat would be way too much for the A4 case, and was considering the C4, but with a suitable undervolt maybe it would manageable?

I'd also like to get some info here. The Black Ridge is rated for 95 TDP so you'd have to undervolt and power limit. I just want to know if getting something like a 7950X (or 13600kf in my case) would still be sensible. Like, if I get a 13600kf and undervolt/power limit, am I just paying extra for the same performance of a non-kf variant? That sort of thing.

Last edited:

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I'd also like to get some info here. The Black Ridge is rated for 95 TDP so you'd have to undervolt and power limit. I just want to know if getting something like a 7950X (or 13600kf in my case) would still be sensible. Like, if I get a 13600kf and undervolt/power limit, am I just paying extra for the same performance of a non-kf variant? That sort of thing.

Intel's 'K' variants buy you overclocking. So yes, you would be paying more for presumably unused performance.

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
Note that the Blackridge is not AM5 compatible without modifications but an 8 core is manageable anyway (I have a 7800X3D with L9a) and even a 16 core should be manageable with the Blackridge with lowered PPT. Something like 120W should be possible.

Reactions: FredL and Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Note that the Blackridge is not AM5 compatible without modifications but an 8 core is manageable anyway (I have a 7800X3D with L9a) and even a 16 core should be manageable with the Blackridge with lowered PPT. Something like 120W should be possible.
That actually caught me off guard to be honest, running an 7800X3D with an L9A, dang!

Reactions: FredL

Ngeloms

Chassis Packer
Sep 21, 2020
Most welcome. The GPU almost fills the full length of the case, so I couldn't find a way to run the cables down the side of the GPU:

Top view:

I tried a 12VHPWR cable for the GPU ( ), it was too long.

The CPU is a 5600X, and I'm using VLP ram (Micron 2x16gb, 3200mhz) which allows space for a larger 120mm fan (Noctua NF-A12x15) for the CPU. The cooler is the Alpenfohn Black Ridge. The drives are an M.2 Samsung 970 plus a couple of crucial SSDs. I don't use any other fans.

I don't do any undervolting on either the CPU or GPU - in fact I overclock the GPU by using the afterburner OC Scanner's suggestions. The game which stretches the system to the max is MSFS in VR (an HP Reverb G2), during which the system goes into full hairdryer mode, but not loud enough to be noticed with headphones or a headset on. I've adjusted the fan curves to go to 100% during heavy usage, and GPU temps reach ~70 - 80 degrees with DLSS quality. I don't see any throttling. During productivity (Blender, Unity, ML) the system is whisper quiet. I've actually adjusted the min GPU fan speed up to 30%, and it's still quiet, and temps are around 30 degrees. CPU temps are fine with both gaming and productivity.

My only major heat issue is while running furmark:

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any other questions (or if anyone has any suggestions to improve this further).
Is this the RTX 4070 non-Ti version? Can you keep it under 83ºC during heavy loads without undervolting it?

FredL

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2023
Is this the RTX 4070 non-Ti version? Can you keep it under 83ºC during heavy loads without undervolting it?
4070 TI, and under load (in my case MSFS in VR with DLSS quality) am seeing 70-80ºC. Note ambient temp is ~18ºC and I've set the fan curve to 100% over 70ºC with no undervolting.

Masada25S

What's an ITX?
New User
May 21, 2023
I have a Dan A4 SFX v3 and the gigabyte a520i. with the 55a VRM able to support 330 amps, I'm sure a 5800X3D is doable in it.
I'm running the 645lt on a 3600 currently.
Was hoping if anyone has had any experience running a 5800x3D or hungrier on an a520i in any SFF, much less my lovely A4-SFX.
All my coworkers can't believe I play Witcher 3 on 1440p High settings with the 3600/2060 KO in my A4-SFX right now.
But I do want to shove the 2060 and 3600 into my new Plex server and upgrade her to a 5800X3D + 4070 Zotac Twin Edge.

Looks like one other person got the twin edge to fit.
Wondering if maybe I should run a fan of some sort over the water block and VRM.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
This Zotac 4070 will not fit very well because the card is 2.2 Slot. Better get one of these:

For easier build and cable management I would switch from 645lt to Noctua L9a + Noctua NA-FD1 fan duct. If you limit the 5800x3d to 65/85W in UEFI you should have no problems with VRMs and CPU temps.

Regards

Reactions: Dawelio