DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Rice_chaser

Efficiency Noob
Aug 9, 2018
3 2.5 Storages have place, but one is a bit of a tight fit when you have stiff cables or an SFX-L Powersupply. M.2 can be used too.
Hey Thanks for your answer. After some research I found that if the motherboard supports, you can have a M2 SSD on it, which takes me to 3 storage space. (2 2.5" and 1 M.2)
However, if the M2 slot is trapped behind the motherboard, how does the temperature goes because it is sit tightly between GPU and motherboard?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The M.2 SSDs should be fine or there would be lots of A4 users ranting about this subject already.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
My A4 V2 should arrive next week and I was curious about something.
The maximum supported cooler height is 48mm, which is the exact height of an L9i with a 25mm fan on it.
I ordered a couple of 92mm redux fans and wanted to know if there was a particular reason more people didn't use the redux here if it does technically fit?

Obviously with the Window panel it would fit fine, but those aren't available currently...

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
My A4 V2 should arrive next week and I was curious about something.
The maximum supported cooler height is 48mm, which is the exact height of an L9i with a 25mm fan on it.
I ordered a couple of 92mm redux fans and wanted to know if there was a particular reason more people didn't use the redux here if it does technically fit?

Obviously with the Window panel it would fit fine, but those aren't available currently...

1. The Redux is an older design and is actually worse.

2. The fan needs to be at least 5mm away from the side panel to avoid turbulence. It is a very often reported concern.

3. The L9i is pretty much at maximum dissipation so a better fan does little to improve to the overall performance.

TGAIO

Trash Compacter
Jul 19, 2018
Hey Thanks for your answer. After some research I found that if the motherboard supports, you can have a M2 SSD on it, which takes me to 3 storage space. (2 2.5" and 1 M.2)
However, if the M2 slot is trapped behind the motherboard, how does the temperature goes because it is sit tightly between GPU and motherboard?

The temps should be fine, but if you still have fear, you can buy a MB with the m.2 at the front. It should be said that
if you have a m.2 with a heath sink and and an watercooler for the CPU, the m.2 can run little hot cuz of none direct airflow. If you have a air-cooler you can use the heatsink of the m.2 because then it has pretty good airflow.

Rice_chaser

Efficiency Noob
Aug 9, 2018
The temps should be fine, but if you still have fear, you can buy a MB with the m.2 at the front. It should be said that
if you have a m.2 with a heath sink and and an watercooler for the CPU, the m.2 can run little hot cuz of none direct airflow. If you have a air-cooler you can use the heatsink of the m.2 because then it has pretty good airflow.
Awesome! One final question if anyone would not mind answer it.
The reason I decide to have dan case is that it can fit into harry carry size luggage.
Has anyone ever brought it onto a plane and how did the airport security deal with it?

TGAIO

Trash Compacter
Jul 19, 2018
i don't think they should've a problem aslong as you don't watercool it. Maybe they want you to open it to look what is in there. I already took my xbox with me but they didn't mind. But you should ask it at the Information-desk at the airport just to be sure.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
1. The Redux is an older design and is actually worse.

2. The fan needs to be at least 5mm away from the side panel to avoid turbulence. It is a very often reported concern.

3. The L9i is pretty much at maximum dissipation so a better fan does little to improve to the overall performance.
Thanks heaps for the detailed reply, I have a couple of the redux fans anyway so I will test out but I'm sure you're correct in turbulence from the proximity to the side panel. Some preliminary tests I ran were really good though, the redux is completely inaudible and I feel like with the windowed panel granting some extra space, while it may reduce airflow slightly, the extra space to the panel will reduce turbulence.

At the end of the day it is cooling an undervolted i5 8400 running at stock, so it doesn't have too difficult a job to do.

I should probably also note, while performance is important, the redux is in use because my build is a light grey/dark grey theme which it suits perfectly.

Anyone know when the windowed side panels will become available again?

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is the most expansive GPU in the world (Quadro GV100) inside the A4-SFX. Thanks to PNY for the pictures :)

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
does someone here have a M2 NVMe on the back of his/hers motherboard? what are the temps? also does it interfere with the riser cable?

void

Efficiency Noob
Jun 1, 2018
Dan Cases A4-SFX V3
Silverstone SST-NJ450-SXL Fanless
Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
Intel Core i7-7700T 35W, ~200 Gflops measured
Noctua NH-L9i
Corsair LPX 2x16GB=32GB DDR4
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Founders Edition
CableMod 24-pin ATX 250mm
CableMod 8-pin EPS 250mm
CableMod 8-pin PCI-E 250mm

void

Efficiency Noob
Jun 1, 2018
Super jeally!! How’s the noise levels with that NJ450 in there?

Thanks! The whole case is very very quiet thanks to the fanless PSU. It's such a surprise that it easily beats the quietness of my mATX case with several Noctua inhale fans.

Tahrial

What's an ITX?
Aug 16, 2018
Hey guys

Quick question: I followed the guide that came with my Dan case and my build went together smoothly. However, once I was done I found that there were 4 standoff screws in the screw bag that I did not use.

Were these screws supposed to go under the motherboard? The manual did not tell me to install stand offs, so I screwed the motherboard down directly onto the case.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Hey guys

Quick question: I followed the guide that came with my Dan case and my build went together smoothly. However, once I was done I found that there were 4 standoff screws in the screw bag that I did not use.

Were these screws supposed to go under the motherboard? The manual did not tell me to install stand offs, so I screwed the motherboard down directly onto the case.
I believe the standoffs come installed but if there is no gap between the motherboard and tray DO NOT turn on the system, remove the motherboard and attach the standoffs to avoid shorting your board.

Technically it should not have gone together smoothly without the standoffs as the IO shield won't line up without them, but just double check there is a gap as this is a really easy way to kill your system if you have not installed standoffs.

I hope this new series of Nvidia card will be two slot card. They will be the first ever card for my dan case.
They will be, only AIB cards will potentially be more, but all reference card designs are 2 slot by design as this is the industry standard.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
However, once I was done I found that there were 4 standoff screws in the screw bag that I did not use.

They are for installing a HDPlex 400W DCDC Power Supply.

hsolo505

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2018
Dan Cases A4-SFX V3
Silverstone SST-NJ450-SXL Fanless
Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
Intel Core i7-7700T 35W, ~200 Gflops measured
Noctua NH-L9i
Corsair LPX 2x16GB=32GB DDR4
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Founders Edition
CableMod 24-pin ATX 250mm
CableMod 8-pin EPS 250mm
CableMod 8-pin PCI-E 250mm

Very impressed! Well thought-out list of parts. Fanless PSU, low power cpu, most powerful single 8-pin gpu. Largest m.2 ssd to avoid additional cable. Cable mod cables on top of it. Even used Win10 LTSB version...