Stalled Custom_MOD MINI

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Considering the problems with the installation of some video cards, we are removing a MINI 3.3L case. All who ordered in the current installment of 8 case MINI 3.3L will receive a MINI 3.5L case. If you want to get a MINI 3.3L case, write to us.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
I can confirm the gigabyte 1070 does not fit in this case. Was this case design even tested with a 1070 before being shipped? Even if you bend the case and push the card in, one of the screws on the card hits the middle board before you can fit the card into the case and at that point, the pcie connector is alsp farther than the spacers allow for, so pcie ribbon can't be screwed in either. Like the only way this works is if I leave the graphics card outside of the case.

Can we expect either a replacement with one that actually fits the hardware it says it supports or some form of refund/returns? I understand I took a risk ordering it and had a extra prolonged waiting period for the case, but not only did it take long time, it doesn't even function as advertised, especially for this price.
If possible, remove the metal psi from the video card. Also we can send you cash compensation or make a new MINI 3.5L case with 50%

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I wish I could afford to do another right now because I totally would for the 3.5l but I wouldn't be able to take up on the discount rn anyways. :/

b4d_b100d

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
@sergiiua I'd also like to take the discount on the 3.5L. I hope these fitting issues are resolved before the release. Especially the mounting bracket. I'm going small form factor so it's easy to transport, but that kind of needs the mounting bracket to hold the GPU in place to prevent movement and damage while taking it places.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
@sergiiua I'd also like to take the discount on the 3.5L. I hope these fitting issues are resolved before the release. Especially the mounting bracket. I'm going small form factor so it's easy to transport, but that kind of needs the mounting bracket to hold the GPU in place to prevent movement and damage while taking it places.
fill in the order form. in the comments write -50%

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I would suggest that prior to shipping, the case should be tested with the Gigabyte and MSI cards. It seems a lot of issues revolve around the PCI card brackets.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
I would suggest that prior to shipping, the case should be tested with the Gigabyte and MSI cards. It seems a lot of issues revolve around the PCI card brackets.
unfortunately we do not have the opportunity to get all the video cards to check personally. We made calculations based on the specifications of video card manufacturers.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
unfortunately we do not have the opportunity to get all the video cards to check personally. We made calculations based on the specifications of video card manufacturers.

That's reasonable. I've been to Bulgaria recently and saw that computer parts are far more expensive there. Is it the same in the Ukraine?

What video cards have you tested and know are compatible?

Can we get some of the members who are having issues to post some photos of the issue? That way Sergii can see the exact fitment issues and make adjustments as needed.

I was a bit concerned about this which is why I ordered my second case to be 108x190x190. Maybe we need to go to 115x200x200 with the bulk of the extra space on GPU side

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
the aero 1060 fit fine, in my situation, the issue that I had had nothing to do with the card not fitting in the case the issue I had was with the bracket that holds the front panel on being in the wayand the front panel flexing forward for whatever reason, and I know its not due to the video card as I can see that the card isnt touching frame in any way. but while pushing the front panel back to try and adjust the mounting bracket on gpu side broke, Id say in this newest revision it shouldn't be a problem since that bracket doesnt exist anymore to attach the front panel
So yes, when I get the funds available I will probably purchase another but for right now I'm stuck with what I've got.
having kids sucks sometimes XD

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Ok. Let's start a list of known working video cards.

Aero 1060: FITS (W1NN1NG). Possible case flex issues to the front panel on 3.24 and 3.3. Install carefully.

I have an EVGA 960 I can test fit in a week or so. I'll report back on that as soon as I can.

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
So, having read the above posts, I was secretly hopeful, that mine would somehow not succumb to the same issues.

However, that was not the case. I too found that the Gigabyte GTX 1070 simply does not fit. The only way to get it in is to remove the bracket, and then bend one of the pieces of metal holding the front of the case on, before bending the metal between the two DVI ports. None of which I was prepared or wanted to do. Just for fun, I did install the motherboard, which seemed to go in ok - so that is good. The screws holes lined up ok.

On top of that, I would say the paint finishing is only 'average'. There are a number of places where it has not covered the metal correctly, and it readily falls off with any scrapes etc. Finally, one of the screw holes holding the upper panel doesn't line up for me, and therefore the front panel is very hard to refit correctly once removed.

So, I have to say, bit disappointed really, having waited so long, and spent over $300 (including the PSU) :(

Instead of being angry though, I think there is a few things we have to consider.
  • Case design is hard, and this kind of experience really goes to show how talented those that get it right are
  • Even though my experience was not good, that hasn't put me off ordering cases from kickstarter/SFF - though I will be a bit more careful in future (I think after seeing how good the Ncase was its easy to assume they will all be Lian Li standard)
  • The G-Unique Arc Deamon PSU is a beast - and an incredible feat of engineering.
  • The Li Heat Riser seems to work nicely (I tested outside of the case)
@sergiiua has offered 50% off a 3.5l version - or some form of refund. I think on this occasion, I would like the refund, and maybe rebuy further down the line when some of the QC has been improved.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
So, having read the above posts, I was secretly hopeful, that mine would somehow not succumb to the same issues.

However, that was not the case. I too found that the Gigabyte GTX 1070 simply does not fit. The only way to get it in is to remove the bracket, and then bend one of the pieces of metal holding the front of the case on, before bending the metal between the two DVI ports. None of which I was prepared or wanted to do. Just for fun, I did install the motherboard, which seemed to go in ok - so that is good. The screws holes lined up ok.

On top of that, I would say the paint finishing is only 'average'. There are a number of places where it has not covered the metal correctly, and it readily falls off with any scrapes etc. Finally, one of the screw holes holding the upper panel doesn't line up for me, and therefore the front panel is very hard to refit correctly once removed.

So, I have to say, bit disappointed really, having waited so long, and spent over $300 (including the PSU) :(

Instead of being angry though, I think there is a few things we have to consider.
  • Case design is hard, and this kind of experience really goes to show how talented those that get it right are
  • Even though my experience was not good, that hasn't put me off ordering cases from kickstarter/SFF - though I will be a bit more careful in future (I think after seeing how good the Ncase was its easy to assume they will all be Lian Li standard)
  • The G-Unique Arc Deamon PSU is a beast - and an incredible feat of engineering.
@sergiiua has offered 50% off a 3.5l version - or some form of refund. I think on this occasion, I would like the refund, and maybe rebuy further down the line when some of the QC has been improved.
I'm going to try and rig something up for mine to close together with missing a bracket I've got it held on with 3 of them thus far its either that or I may pick up one of the itx tray kits since seeing how I like the pc in a super small package on my desk, itd be cool to completely remove a case off my desk and put it in my locked desk drawer if I could, Id probably drill some ventilation above it in the steel but well, its pretty thick steel so itd probably take me a while to do that

b4d_b100d

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017

At the same time though, it's not like this was a problem in previous iterations of this case. I wouldn't have been quite as angry if I had ordered something that had no testing and was in its first run. But this wasn't. This was revision 3 of a case that was perfectly fine (afaik) in the first 2 revisions, so something had to have changed to make it no longer fit. One of the biggest selling points of the first revision of the case was that it was tested to fit a Gigabyte 1070, and somehow, the case was modified and not tested before being sold. That's what I'm upset about. That a revision was created without actually testing the new product.

However, I also understand that given how long it takes to get a new case and also that after this incident, I'm sure @sergiiua will be paying more attention to the case design and ensure that we don't have a similar problem again. That's why I'm ordering another case, and I understand that the cost of buying materials and factory time and shipping isn't cheap, so at a 50% discount, he's likely not making any money on these cases, the run to replace ours is basically just cost of business. And I still want to get a case of this size, especially considering I've already invested so much into this idea.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Parge

How much room did the GPU need? If the case was 10mm longer, would it fit?

The 3.3 was 180mm long. The 3.5 is 190mm. If 10mm isn't enough, then the 3.5 still won't fit the Gigabyte 1070

Last edited:

b4d_b100d

Chassis Packer
Jul 12, 2017
Parge

How much room did the GPU need? If the case was 10mm longer, would it fit?

The 3.3 was 180mm long. The 3.5 is 190mm. If 10mm isn't enough, then the 3.5 still won't fit the Gigabyte 1070

yeah, 10 mm more would probably fit the GPU, but one of the other problems was how much space it had laterally, and I'm sure the next iteration will receive more testing in terms of deciding whether it'll fit.