Stalled Custom_MOD MINI

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Alright! Ordered my MSI 1070 Aero ITX. Decided on that instead of the Gigabyte due to the build guide that was just put out. Good news is that it's super quiet.

Now I'm just waiting on the I7-8700 to be released and I'll have my ultra portable Adobe Premier / Lan Gaming machine.

Dotdoc

Efficiency Noob
Oct 1, 2017
from my prospective you can not handle the heat, noice and power of an 1080 TI mini its not a problem of HDPLEX its a missing 400W brick.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
from my prospective you can not handle the heat, noice and power of an 1080 TI mini its not a problem of HDPLEX its a missing 400W brick.

I agree. The 1080TI is too much for a SFF half size card. But they don't make that. They make the 1080 as a mini-itx and it's only 30 watts more than the 1070. However, it's also going to be $530, and with GPU prices rising due to VRAM shortages and miners, I decided not to wait.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hi everyone. My MSI 1070 Aero ITX arrived today. I decided to try installing it in my Mini 3.24. I can now confirm it is not compatible with the case if you don't do the following:

1. Remove the PCI bracket from the back of the card (which is difficult).

or...

2. Remove the riveted front brace from the case.

Since I have a custom Mini 3.5 on order, I decided against doing either to my 3.24, and will use the case for a system that does not need a large GPU.

That said, I believe that the EVGA 1050ti line of GPUs are the best bet for owners. They have a more compact profile.

Reactions: TheHig and Weredawg

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Too bad about the 1070 Aero @Revenant

2nd the 1050ti in the 3.34 Mod Mini.

I have installed both the Zotac and Evga with ease in mine.

An added bonus is you can use the pico 160xt and 192w brick with a 65w CPU and be fine.

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Hi everyone. My MSI 1070 Aero ITX arrived today. I decided to try installing it in my Mini 3.24. I can now confirm it is not compatible with the case if you don't do the following:

1. Remove the PCI bracket from the back of the card (which is difficult).

or...

2. Remove the riveted front brace from the case.

Since I have a custom Mini 3.5 on order, I decided against doing either to my 3.24, and will use the case for a system that does not need a large GPU.

That said, I believe that the EVGA 1050ti line of GPUs are the best bet for owners. They have a more compact profile.

Even if you remove the PCI bracket (which I did), you still have to bend the case in several places to fit it. You risk breaking the case, and the cards. In my eyes, it is simply not in any way compatible.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Even if you remove the PCI bracket (which I did), you still have to bend the case in several places to fit it. You risk breaking the case, and the cards. In my eyes, it is simply not in any way compatible.

This is all good feedback from the early adopters. We are basically Beta testing really. It seems that a small permanent addition of say 10mm(?) to the length of the chassis could get the compatibility in order for the 1070 itx GPUs. Just off the top of my head.

I don't have one , but you guys who do have an itx 1070, post some pics or measurements that show how much more room is needed.

I will take some of mine ,which is a batch 1,tonight if possible to compare.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
This is all good feedback from the early adopters. We are basically Beta testing really. It seems that a small permanent addition of say 10mm(?) to the length of the chassis could get the compatibility in order for the 1070 itx GPUs. Just off the top of my head.

I don't have one , but you guys who do have an itx 1070, post some pics or measurements that show how much more room is needed.

I will take some of mine ,which is a batch 1,tonight if possible to compare.

I'll try to today.

The 3.5L, which is only 10mm longer, fits it fine using the build guide as a reference.

I ordered another case, but I had the dimensions modded to 108x190x190. I'm expecting it to fit well.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Ok so the 3.5L pretty much solves the issue. So perhaps @sergiiua you should update the compatibility list for the original ModMini or just manufacture the 3.5L version going forward?

Apologies if all this has been addressed I'm posting on breaks at work. :cool:

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Ok so the 3.5L pretty much solves the issue. So perhaps @sergiiua you should update the compatibility list for the original ModMini or just manufacture the 3.5L version going forward?

Apologies if all this has been addressed I'm posting on breaks at work. :cool:

Actually he did LOL. The 3.24/3.3 Have been discontinued entirely. If you have one, consider yourself one of less than 50 people in the world. He offered some discounts for people that had video card issues.

He's only producing the 3.5 and 4.0 now.

I had mine custom sized because I like the original shape and dimensions of the 3.24. So I just upped the other measurements to match.

Reactions: TheHig

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
So I just ordered up more parts today:

Intel i7-8700 65W (L9i CPU cooler)
ASUS Strix Z370 ITX

I'm going to probably house the system in a DAN PC case until my Custom Mod 3.5+ arrives.