Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
Just a suggestion for the new thread, give it an actual name instead of "Custom SFF mITX Aluminum Case" to:
1) Attract more attention
2) So more people can attribute a name to the project

Best of luck to you. The Sentry was briefly open for orders recently and got sold out quickly. There's still demand for these types of cases, so I hope you can get enough visibility on your next endeavour.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just a suggestion for the new thread, give it an actual name instead of "Custom SFF mITX Aluminum Case" to:
1) Attract more attention
2) So more people can attribute a name to the project

Best of luck to you. The Sentry was briefly open for orders recently and got sold out quickly. There's still demand for these types of cases, so I hope you can get enough visibility on your next endeavour.
I will do my best to be more descriptive in the title. Thank you for your business and suggestions!

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
Best to not associate such a beautifully-crafted product with "solid bowel movement" (SBM), you two. ;)

What's wrong with "Salvo" ###? I love the naming almost as much as I love the case.

Reactions: talkion and br3nd0

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Keep the ideas coming, it might influence my decision. As of now though, I plan on using the name Salvo 401. BTW, if I can't make the numbers work out in my favor or the kickstarter doesn't pan out, I might be wiling to make a small run for the people on this forum. Otherwise, I'm moving forward with the Salvo 700. I should get some news on the prototype next week, then I'll start a new thread.

Reactions: BrotherStein

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Keep the ideas coming, it might influence my decision. As of now though, I plan on using the name Salvo 401. BTW, if I can't make the numbers work out in my favor or the kickstarter doesn't pan out, I might be wiling to make a small run for the people on this forum. Otherwise, I'm moving forward with the Salvo 700. I should get some news on the prototype next week, then I'll start a new thread.

I'm excited to see the prototype! I would be interested even it it was a small run. BTW love the hex pattern you showed. I think the Salvo 401 is a great name. S401 for short?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Just completed a build in my case (#35/40) and everything went fairly smoothly. The thing I was confused about the most was definitely the GPU bracket, haven't really used one like it before. But the RGB WiFi controller works well, and cooling seems to be what I expect. I am just going to be waiting on a blower style Volta GPU to come around before I crack it back open.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just completed a build in my case (#35/40) and everything went fairly smoothly. The thing I was confused about the most was definitely the GPU bracket, haven't really used one like it before. But the RGB WiFi controller works well, and cooling seems to be what I expect. I am just going to be waiting on a blower style Volta GPU to come around before I crack it back open.
Yes, the GPU bracket is a bit different than what most people are familiar with. This will be going away in the S401 (see what I did there?).

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Yes, the GPU bracket is a bit different than what most people are familiar with. This will be going away in the S401 (see what I did there?).

Nice, I also had another idea, but this may be a bit too far out there and increase costs even more. I think a good ammount of space could be saved if the GPU extender used an additional 90 degree connector instead of having to fold it ontop of itself to connect to the GPU.

Also had an idea for a mod last night, and was happy to find out your vent holes fit additional fans! I keep my case in the horizontal position and currently am using an open air cooler on my GPU. I was concerned hot air was being trapped underneath my GPU with no where to vent, so I attached an exhaust fan to the left side of the case towards the front, close to the USB I/O connector. A photo is below...

I saw my GPU temps drop by about 3-5 degrees Celsius with this mod, with very limited noise. Happy times. Used a simple y adapter to connect the fan along with the RGB power.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Nice, I also had another idea, but this may be a bit too far out there and increase costs even more. I think a good ammount of space could be saved if the GPU extender used an additional 90 degree connector instead of having to fold it ontop of itself to connect to the GPU.

Also had an idea for a mod last night, and was happy to find out your vent holes fit additional fans! I keep my case in the horizontal position and currently am using an open air cooler on my GPU. I was concerned hot air was being trapped underneath my GPU with no where to vent, so I attached an exhaust fan to the left side of the case towards the front, close to the USB I/O connector. A photo is below...

I saw my GPU temps drop by about 3-5 degrees Celsius with this mod, with very limited noise. Happy times. Used a simple y adapter to connect the fan along with the RGB power.

Awesome. I initially was going to put 45mm fan holes on the opposite side where you put yours but the power extender got in the way. With the second version, I'm going to try and find a way to support some case fans but since I'm going to use a different PCIe extender that won't require the cable be bent (as you suggested), the space where your fan is installed now might shrink dramatically. I guess we'll find out once I get the first prototype back from the machine shop either this week or the next. I've had what I think are good ideas on how to improve the design so I'm looking forward to getting valuable feedback such as yours!

Edit: Prototype 1 will be punched tomorrow. Then they have to bend it which could easily take another day, but then they are going to paint it and ship it to me. I expect to have it Friday or Monday as of now.

Last edited:

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Awesome. I initially was going to put 45mm fan holes on the opposite side where you put yours but the power extender got in the way. With the second version, I'm going to try and find a way to support some case fans but since I'm going to use a different PCIe extender that won't require the cable be bent (as you suggested), the space where your fan is installed now might shrink dramatically. I guess we'll find out once I get the first prototype back from the machine shop either this week or the next. I've had what I think are good ideas on how to improve the design so I'm looking forward to getting valuable feedback such as yours!

Edit: Prototype 1 will be punched tomorrow. Then they have to bend it which could easily take another day, but then they are going to paint it and ship it to me. I expect to have it Friday or Monday as of now.

Just wondering... has the total volume changed for Prototype 1?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just wondering... has the total volume changed for Prototype 1?

Yes, for the first prototype it is up to 7.27L (including chassis) from 7.15L (internal volume). It is likely the volume will change yet again after I get the prototype in my hands and start evaluating a few ideas I have that would require changes.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
FYI, some of the ideas I'm throwing around include: bifurcation PCIe extender, option to support 2-slot PCIe device and (single slot device or 2.5" drives), 92mm fan mount for radiators, 60mm fan mounts for case fans, etc. I'm also designing an acrylic window for the prototype to prove the design will work with a window.

Gamblingthroaway

Cable Smoosher
Feb 7, 2018
I have one silver case left - will discount if you're interested in an orange panel. Stand to be painted your choice! Also will include AM4 mainboard.
Still have this? I know its a shot in the dark I just found out about this case and really want to get my hands on one. Read alot about this and I like your work man you are very transparent and it's a blessing.

Edit: also I'm new on this forum but have been on Reddit for a while now have 39+ confirmed trades on /r/hardwareswap. It won't let me post a link but my reddit handle is /u/gamblingthroaway

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Still have this? I know its a shot in the dark I just found out about this case and really want to get my hands on one. Read alot about this and I like your work man you are very transparent and it's a blessing.

Edit: also I'm new on this forum but have been on Reddit for a while now have 39+ confirmed trades on /r/hardwareswap. It won't let me post a link but my reddit handle is /u/gamblingthroaway
Sorry, I sold the last silver case over a week ago. I'm glad you're interested though and I assure you that I'm working to develop the next version to be ready as soon as possible, but realistically it's going to be several months before anything could be offered. If the kickstarter campaign doesn't materialize, I'll fund the bill for manufacturing this next version for another small run. Either way, I'll probably have much more detailed information within the next month. If you have questions, reach out to me here because I get notified about new conversations here but not on reddit (/u/grsychckn).

BTW, I'm also working on partnering with a few accessory manufacturers in hopes I can offer some sort of bundle.

Gamblingthroaway

Cable Smoosher
Feb 7, 2018
Sorry, I sold the last silver case over a week ago. I'm glad you're interested though and I assure you that I'm working to develop the next version to be ready as soon as possible, but realistically it's going to be several months before anything could be offered. If the kickstarter campaign doesn't materialize, I'll fund the bill for manufacturing this next version for another small run. Either way, I'll probably have much more detailed information within the next month. If you have questions, reach out to me here because I get notified about new conversations here but not on reddit (/u/grsychckn).

BTW, I'm also working on partnering with a few accessory manufacturers in hopes I can offer some sort of bundle.

Thanks for your response, I'll definitely keep in tabs for v2 of this case as it's an awesome product hopefully I can one or get a V2.