Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I don't have the exact link to where I purchased those inlets, but I found them cheaper on Ebay here. I didn't get a chance to specify the material thickness I was installing all those into so I had to modify them with a dremel. The aluminum cases I've sold are ~4mm thick in case you need want to purchase an inlet for them.

Perfect, thank you for the info!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I have one silver case left - will discount if you're interested in an orange panel. Stand to be painted your choice! Also will include AM4 mainboard.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I have one silver case left - will discount if you're interested in an orange panel. Stand to be painted your choice! Also will include AM4 mainboard.

Very interested, I also sent you a message via Reddit (I have the same username there) :)

It just so happens that my favorite color is orange!!

Please get back to me!! :D

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I wanted to update this thread with information regarding intake fan filters. I bought some DEMCiflex fan filters with the idea that I'd use them as the filters on my newer design but when I got them I realized they fit the Salvo 400. The ones I purchased on Amazon can be found here. Images below show them on a black case. Sine the aluminum cases are not magnetic, be sure to buy the filters that come with the adhesive for non-ferric material so you can mount them on the Savlo 400. In case the link ever breaks, these are the standard 2x140mm DEMCiflex fan filters.

Edit: the 2x120mm would fit, but if looking at the vents as in the pictures above, some of the vent holes will be covered on the left and right.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wow, the sizing on those is perfect. How thick? Could they be mounted on the inside?
They are about 1/8" (3mm) thick including the magnetic sticker. This filter might fit even better. They could be mounted on the inside - I think the magnetic strips would hold it pretty well, the question is if the adhesive would hold.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Do you plan on making anymore or is this the only run you will ever do?

I have no definite plans on producing more. I will say that I'm working with the machine shop to create a newer version of my case that will hopefully be less expensive. If it proves fruitful, I will probably start a kickstarter campaign with a goal of at least 500 units. I will be starting a new thread for this updated version in the next month or so.

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Can I get the length for your cables? We are using the same main board!

Sorry it took so long. I just replaced my PSU so I got a chance to get into the case.

My 24pin ATX wires are 28.5 cm and my 8 pin CPU wires are 38.5 cm

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
@grsychckn you had mentioned getting a new set of power switches, what did you end up with? If you have any extra, I would be interested in buying one off of you.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn you had mentioned getting a new set of power switches, what did you end up with? If you have any extra, I would be interested in buying one off of you.
Below is a picture of the newer buttons. I have a few wired up in case someone needed one so I'd be happy to sell you one for the cost of shipping.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Absolutely. I don't think I have any wired up right now but if you can give me until Thursday, I'll have one shipped out for you for free (because it broke).

That would be great! Thanks so much! I'm just about finished with my build and should have the build log and pictures up next week.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Absolutely. I don't think I have any wired up right now but if you can give me until Thursday, I'll have one shipped out for you for free (because it broke).

OH is there any way you can make the wires around 12 inches long? I'm thinking about moving the LED controller to the top of the case above the motherboard. Thanks again!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
OH is there any way you can make the wires around 12 inches long? I'm thinking about moving the LED controller to the top of the case above the motherboard. Thanks again!

Sure thing, that shouldn't be an issue. I'll send you a solderless RGB inline connector (pic below) and extra wire for the RGBW strip so you can extend it.

Edit/Update: Machine shop has model and drawings to move forward with Salvo 401 prototype #1. Look for new thread soon-ish. I won't start a new thread until I have the prototype in hand. Some new additions: support for 2 single-slot PCIe devices with a bifurcation riser on mITX, 3.5" drive support, embossed/raised features for HDD/SSD mounts, key slots added so only one thumb screw required for stand.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Sure thing, that shouldn't be an issue. I'll send you a solderless RGB inline connector (pic below) and extra wire for the RGBW strip so you can extend it.

Edit/Update: Machine shop has model and drawings to move forward with Salvo 401 prototype #1. Look for new thread soon-ish. I won't start a new thread until I have the prototype in hand. Some new additions: support for 2 single-slot PCIe devices with a bifurcation riser on mITX, 3.5" drive support, embossed/raised features for HDD/SSD mounts, key slots added so only one thumb screw required for stand.

Awesome! Excited to see the new prototype!