Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

Aranel

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2018
@grsychckn
Really like your case, are there any pieces left?
However I'm a bit concerned about the size of my GPU. In your opinion, does a sapphire RX 580 pulse (125 mm maybe?) would fit in the case?
And eventually, do you know how are temps with open air cooled gpu?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn
Really like your case, are there any pieces left?
However I'm a bit concerned about the size of my GPU. In your opinion, does a sapphire RX 580 pulse (125 mm maybe?) would fit in the case?
And eventually, do you know how are temps with open air cooled gpu?
Thanks in advance!

I didn't see your post until just now. I'm sad to say I wouldn't try anything over 120mm in width. My Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 8GB says on their website that it is 120mm wide and that is as large as I'd go. That said, someone did back out and my last case is still available (in silver). If anyone decides they're interested, let me know as I have one goodie left that is pretty nice.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update for those following this thread. I don't want to start a new topic yet, but thought if you follow me you might like to know what I've been up to today. One of my co-workers has convinced me to investigate kickstarter as a way of mass producing my design to help make it more affordable. I obviously need to go back and fix some things and remove other features that were a part of the Savlo 400 to make this task easier on me. Here is what I'm planning on now:

Removing
1. Smaller power button without illumination (RGB LEDs).
2. Removing the PSU extension and inlet and replacing that with a grommet on the back for a passthrough so any right-angle cable can be used.
3. Removing LED controller and strips.
4. No long including accessories such as right-angle PSU adapters (single cable will suffice), expensive thumb screws, and the front panel USB adapter.*
5. Reducing stand/panel screws dramatically.
6. No longer a "clamshell" design - will have two removable side panels.
7. Using Galvasteel instead of Aluminum (thickness reduced, weight increased).
8. Only making available in fine textured black powder coat.*
9. Will try to eliminate the GPU bracket adapter. (GPU orientation stays the same - this is the "L" shaped bracket it currently requires to hold the GPU to the back of the case)
*might change depending on status of kickstarter

Adding/Changing
1. Support for video cards up to 140mm wide.
2. Support for SFX-L PSUs.
3. One thumbscrew to attach the vertical stand.
4. Using Li-Heat Type A PCIe adapter to reduce GPU mount complexity.
5. Adding reset button.
6. Adding support for standard Demciflex magnetic filters on the vented intake.*
7. Adding support for side panel window (whole pane would be lexan or tempered glass).*
8. Decreased cutout on the stand to improve rigidity.
*tbd by kickstarter interest and price.

Here's a picture of the current design as of today (just started redesign this morning).

Last edited:

aleksator

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 3, 2018
One of my co-workers has convinced me to investigate kickstarter
Great news that you want to continue working on this already attractive model.

Here are some questions and comments I have after reading through your intended changes:
power button without illumination (RGB LEDs)
Removing LED controller and strips.
No long including accessories such as right-angle PSU adapters (single cable will suffice), expensive thumb screws, and the front panel USB adapter.
That's a shame
Reducing stand/panel screws dramatically.
More towards tool-less design?
No longer a "clamshell" design - will have two removable side panels.
What's the advantage to been able to remove the other panel? It makes sense in cases like Louqe Ghost since it provides a spine to build around, but here?
Using Galvasteel instead of Aluminum (thickness reduced, weight increased).
Is it a price/durability that makes it a better choice?
Will try to eliminate the GPU bracket adapter.
Does it mean it will rotate 180 degrees or do you have a better solution in mind? I like that the CPU and GPU fans are facing in the same direction in the current model.
Here's a picture of the current design as of today
No usb ports in front? I guess you just did not draw them in this first iteration.

The whole "Adding/Changing" section seems like sweet additions, keep it up! Especially like the inclusion of dust filters and reset button.

My only strong wish is for you to keep an excellent support for horizontal position that the current iteration provides, and not doing what Dr. Zaber does with his GPU mounting because it is easier.

Reactions: BrotherStein

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
More towards tool-less design?

As much as I can, yes. Also just trying to remove as much hardware as possible for cost reasons.

What's the advantage to been able to remove the other panel? It makes sense in cases like Louqe Ghost since it provides a spine to build around, but here?

Technically, the first design had removable panels: One on the fan intake side for installing components, and the other on the back side of the motherboard for accessing m.2 and heatsink mounts. I want to keep access on the top and bottom to those without too much of a hassle taking everything apart (top/bottom reference as if in horizontal position). Also, this means you'll be able to access the inside of the case by simply removing one side panel where right now you have to remove the stand (if attached) and then both sides of the "U" shaped clamshell panel.

Is it a price/durability that makes it a better choice?

Steel is cheaper, thinner, and according to my machinist it can be manipulated much easier without creating stress marks (for example when hemming the edges).

Does it mean it will rotate 180 degrees or do you have a better solution in mind? I like that the CPU and GPU fans are facing in the same direction in the current model.

Video card orientation will remain the same as in the first design. I'm wanting to eliminate the small "L" shaped bracket that screws into the back of the case and the GPU bracket. I'm going to try and see if the machine shop can bend a tab outward from the inside of the case to provide me with a standard mounting solution similar to other cases. I'll post pictures of this when I start a new thread and have a more mature idea of where I'm heading.

As far as USB on the front - I am considering dropping that idea altogether. I want this version of the case to be very affordable. I'm targeting a sub-$150 price. If I can't sell them for that price AND make a profit, I will not be pursuing this project on a large scale. My wife and I are expecting a child in April and have another turning 4 around then too so I'm very busy between home and my job. I took off work today to start this new design and I'm not close to done. I hate to say it but I won't have energy or time to perform inventory, quality control, create shipping manifests, figure out an easier packaging, etc. unless there is some profit in it for me. At the very least I'll have to consider hiring help which introduces payroll taxes and accountants which eat further into profits.

Good news though, if I fail to make this project work out by the numbers, I will immediately start designing a new SFF ATX case for watercooling my Threadripper. I may never get that hardware installed if I don't start designing something to put those components in. :)

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
The only concern I have from the previous design is cable management difficulty for people without custom cables. You think it'll be easier in the new design?

aleksator

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 3, 2018
As far as USB on the front - I am considering dropping that idea altogether. I want this version of the case to be very affordable. I'm targeting a sub-$150 price. If I can't sell them for that price AND make a profit, I will not be pursuing this project on a large scale.
One of the selling points of the first version at least for me was type-C on the front, alongside with type-A. I'm not sure this is the compromise I would like to be made: I consider them essential.
Maybe it's because I'm coming from full-tower background where it was quite annoying to reach for the back though.

Another thing is about sub $150 goal: it was shown by several other successful fundings that people are willing to pay $200+ if quality matches. Some even go as crazy as buying Sentry from Ebay for $400-$600.
LEDs and stuff are completely fine to be dropped in my opinion. But I would not try to drop the price down by going form over function and dropping essential stuff like front IO.
if I fail to make this project work out by the numbers
...then I would rather you increased the budget up to $200-250 instead of dropping the project altogether. I am sure you will get enough support to make it work!

The only concern I have from the previous design is cable management difficulty for people without custom cables. You think it'll be easier in the new design?
Ah, I wanted to ask about this issue as well based on feedback but forgot since I'm yet to receive my sample of the case. I will be trying to manage with cables that come with Corsair SF450, hope it won't be too hard.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

I think it will be easier mostly because there will be no LED controller in the space directly below the PSU and the button has moved from that area as well. This is something I'll have to wait and see how it changes once I get a prototype in hand. That will most likely be the point in which I start a new thread.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Another thing is about sub $150 goal: it was shown by several other successful fundings that people are willing to pay $200+ if quality matches. Some even go as crazy as buying Sentry from Ebay for $400-$600.
LEDs and stuff are completely fine to be dropped in my opinion. But I would not try to drop the price down by going form over function and dropping essential stuff like front IO.

I would love to have the front panel USB adapter included as well. In fact, earlier this week I received the quote for the USB adapter from the distributor for a quantity of 500. I just need to weigh the cost and labor issues into the equation after I have all the pricing information.

Also, I'd love to sell thousands of these which is why I'm trying to lower costs. A lot of the feedback from users in the YouTube AdoredTV review expressed a desire to own one but that the price was too high for what they believed to be a "metal box". If I can reduce costs enough, I believe I can compete with the Node 202 for example. I've got to figure out my bottom line and factor in returns, shipping, support, and of course my own time.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I think it will be easier mostly because there will be no LED controller in the space directly below the PSU and the button has moved from that area as well. This is something I'll have to wait and see how it changes once I get a prototype in hand. That will most likely be the point in which I start a new thread.

The LED controller is in an awkward spot. I very close to removing it all together. The USB front panel is out of the way enough but could interfere with my 120mm rad. Once it comes in we will see. The GPU mounting wasn't too bad, but I'm excited to see how you improve it.

I think your selling points are the clean look, and most importantly, the CPU/MB and GPU facing the same direction. If you get this case down to $150-$175, you will move some units. I'm very happy with the first version and may pick up a new model for my build next year.

Reactions: aleksator

Aranel

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2018
As this case is meant to be portable I'm a bit concerned about the edgy of the borders. However I like it a lot, would back it immediately

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Adding some renders after I updated the model to include some hex vents. Note the USB holes. :)

LOVE the hex vents. Makes me wish I had them on mine! Maybe it's just me (and I know it poses some problems), but I like the power button in the middle. Is there a more low profile power button option? Good to see the USB option as well.

Also, the side panel is just one flat piece? No U shape to cover the top and bottom?

Might just be me as well, but with a graphics card smaller than 170mm in length (IE: Gigabyte 1080 mini), you can fit a 120mm rad in the bottom right next to it. I would love to see mounting holes for the fans/rad. Unless the case dimensions have change.

Reactions: aleksator

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Adding some renders after I updated the model to include some hex vents. Note the USB holes. :)

It does not look like the front and back panels have support since they will not be screwed into the side panels and I am assuming they will simply be folded in like the first iteration. I would suggest that they either be connected to the top and bottom of the case or have screw attachment to the side panels for stability.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
It does not look like the front and back panels have support since they will not be screwed into the side panels and I am assuming they will simply be folded in like the first iteration. I would suggest that they either be connected to the top and bottom of the case or have screw attachment to the side panels for stability.

Good eye. The reason that's not been added yet it's because I'm giong to show the machine shop my plan and then work with them to find a good solution. I'm still very much in the initial phase of design.

Last edited:
Reactions: zhl146

Rus

What's an ITX?
Jan 6, 2018
I'm bummed that I missed out on the 400, but glad to see that you have a new design in the works. If this actually happens, I'm in no matter the price. I would prefer to see front USB, but I'll hack that in myself if I must.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
@grsychckn

Where did you purchase the c14 power inlet/mount that clips into the case? I'm trying to see if I can find something similar in shape, but to mount the G-Unique psu on. Thanks!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn

Where did you purchase the c14 power inlet/mount that clips into the case? I'm trying to see if I can find something similar in shape, but to mount the G-Unique psu on. Thanks!

I don't have the exact link to where I purchased those inlets, but I found them cheaper on Ebay here. I didn't get a chance to specify the material thickness I was installing all those into so I had to modify them with a dremel. The aluminum cases I've sold are ~4mm thick in case you need want to purchase an inlet for them.