Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wow, I wish I had known about this when it was first getting started. I only recently read about this on the /r/sffpc subreddit, but the name wasn't mentioned.

I'm looking to downsize from a SilverStone ML08 and the Zaber Sentry was the only console-style case ~7L volume I was aware of at the time with an integrated PSU. I know this is a little bigger than the Sentry, but I like how the Salvo has the GPU and CPU facing the same way for venting, allowing for horizontal orientation without thermal compromises. If there were any black cases left I probably would have jumped on one. As it is now, I'll be keeping an eye on this for any future development.

Man, I clearly underestimated the popularity of the black color. I still have silver and I think it looks great. If I manage to make a version 2 of this case, I'm going to make it in black only (including side and stand).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
FYI, AdoredTV is currently making a build using my case and will have a video up soon. He will be hosting the Vega 64 LE + Case giveaway at/near the same time. I hope to sell the remaining silver cases after his video so I can start looking into my next project.

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
You're welcome! I have a few ideas on the above issues you bring up.

1. I don't know about protecting the cables but if I make more cases, there won't be an LED controller built-in. Too much wiring and custom work to get a final product. If for some reason you think the controller itself is bad, I have a couple spares just in case. However, I tested every controller and the lights before I shipped to make sure they were wired correctly. Yours might have been just loose enough to shake free during shipping or during installation.

4. There are a few things you can try. The first would be to bend the cover and create an "anti-bulge". However, I think it happens because the the vented panel is wider than the base unit and when the screws are tightened it forces it to bulge. That said, there are two other things you can try. The first being to install some washers between the vented cover and the base unit where the mounting screws are inserted. This will close the gap between the two panels and keep the vented panel from flexing as the screws are tightened. The other option would be to bend the mounting tabs of the case outward to try and close that gap. You should be able to do this with your hands but be very careful on the tab where the USB adapter mounts - either loosen the adapter or just don't bend that tab as you might break the USB adapter.
No worries. It actually started working randomly so I think there may be a loose connection somewhere. I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for the suggestions for the cover panel. I will see what I can do and I'll let you know if anything works.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Finally got around to unboxing the case today! I'm loving it and the black looks amazing! I know aluminum is light but wow. This case is SO light. I had some bulging on the panel as well but with a little careful flexing, the front now lines up perfectly! I have an idea for creating a stand out of this case with wood legs, much like the Cryorig Taku (check it out if you haven't).

Thank you so much for your time and effort B. I hope to have my build finished after the holidays so I'll try to get some photos of it.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I wanted to post a private message here from VatosInTheBarrio. I asked his permission before I posted here. I'm posting the entire message to give context. I'm really glad to be receiving so much positive feedback as well as good ideas for future enhancements. I'm very thankful for this community as I probably would still have many more cases to sell with no exposure to the market without you all here. Thanks!

So I finally had some actual time to sit down and build and use the case over the holiday break and the thing that stood out to me the most was the build quality. Hopefully I don't overwhelm you with a wall of text.

Beyond that though was your attention to detail with the packaging, presentation, and labeling/organization. Truly top notch.

I know you said it's too high of a price which I understand, but at the same time I mean the Dr. Zaber Sentry is roughly the same price and the Silverstone ML08B-H or Fractal Design Node 202 are $90-$130 and those are made of cheap plastic and don't feel as solid as the Salvo 400 (especially the ML08s aluminum side panel-flimsy as hell). I also like the layout of your case better than the other console style cases that provide a single side for ventilation/cooling to make use of the horizontal layout way better.

Building was easy and difficult at the same time if that makes sense. It was easy because it's straightforward but without custom cables, god that was a pain in the ass especially with how stiff and not pliable the stock Corsair SF Series PSU cables were. Custom cables are a must.

Temps were better than what I got with the same build in the Silverstone ML-08 and compared to another shoebox style ITX build I had the Salvo400 is a lot easy to carry given the way the weight is distributed. No insane temps or throttling or anything. Love the ability to use up to 4 internal drives.

RGB strip and controller are nice touch that you really didn't have to do but did anyway and I really appreciate that. That button is super nice and you were right about it being very satisfying to push.

USB 3.0 front connector nice BUT the USB C front connector....kisses fingers....icing on the cake. ANf of course you giving away freebies was super cool.

I probably have more thoughts and perhaps feedback but that's all I can think of for now. You definitely have me as a customer and I look forward to your next projects and perhaps supporting those as well.

P.S. The only wish I had, which is in no way a slight on this product or your work and design, is a more smaller version of this that takes those HDPlex DC-ATX power supplies and use an external brick instead of an SFX PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Finally got around to unboxing the case today! I'm loving it and the black looks amazing! I know aluminum is light but wow. This case is SO light. I had some bulging on the panel as well but with a little careful flexing, the front now lines up perfectly! I have an idea for creating a stand out of this case with wood legs, much like the Cryorig Taku (check it out if you haven't).

Thank you so much for your time and effort B. I hope to have my build finished after the holidays so I'll try to get some photos of it.
Awesome! I'll be interested in seeing your pictures as well. That case design from Cryorig was very cool looking - I can't wait to see what you come up with. If anyone needs any help or has questions/concerns please contact me.

Reactions: BrotherStein

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I wanted to post a private message here from VastosInHerito. I asked his permission before I posted here. I'm posting the entire message to give context. I'm really glad to be receiving so much positive feedback as well as good ideas for future enhancements. I'm very thankful for this community as I probably would still have many more cases to sell with no exposure to the market without you all here. Thanks!

Ditto everything that they said.

I think the price point was pretty damn good considering (so glad I stumbled upon your project to get a black case)! The new Ghost case is like 280 or so.
The one side ventilation is amazing and well engineered (I'll be using horizontal for sure)!
Packaging and presentation was definitely top notch. Very professional contact as well!
I'm an organizing freak so I'm looking forward to building in this case AND definitely using custom cables.

You might look at the Ghost S1 by Louqe. You can actually slide the side panels into place from what I saw in the video. That would be a cool addition to your case if you look to change it.

Looking forward to seeing your next projects!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Bump to say I have some new bonus items to give away for the next few purchases. Adoredtv claimed in his last video his video next week will be with my case. I hope to sell out soon after his video.

Bonus items are for members of this forum only.

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
Dude, this case has single-handedly brought me out of lurking the SFF subreddit and this forum to commend you on the configuration and quality. I'm not sure if I'm there yet with being ready to dive into making my first SFF build, but I love the differences this case provides when compared to the Node 202, Taku and Sentry. (I'd definitely like to consider a monitor stand addon option as well, like the poster above.) Kudos!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Dude, this case has single-handedly brought me out of lurking the SFF subreddit and this forum to commend you on the configuration and quality. I'm not sure if I'm there yet with being ready to dive into making my first SFF build, but I love the differences this case provides when compared to the Node 202, Taku and Sentry. (I'd definitely like to consider a monitor stand addon option as well, like the poster above.) Kudos!

Thank you! It's very encouraging to hear that.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I just finished my built, found out the cover is a bit bent, how can i straighten it back?

Please send me a picture or description. If it's just slightly bowed, I think you can hand bend it so long as you're careful. Did this happen during shipping?

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Just finished making some custom cables.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Just finished making some custom cables.

No idea why the imgur embed isn't working, but you can click on it and it will take you to the correct picture.
Showed up for me. Also, you can link the image url into the image icon in the editor for a seamless integration.

Reactions: zhl146

Jaeryd

Cable Smoosher
Aug 3, 2017
Do you have any of this case left? I am playing with the idea of starting a build soon, and this case might be just what I am looking for.

What sort of components are people putting in these? I am interested in how the thermals are in this case.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Do you have any of this case left? I am playing with the idea of starting a build soon, and this case might be just what I am looking for.

What sort of components are people putting in these? I am interested in how the thermals are in this case.

I do have more cases left. I only have silver. If you're interested, please start a conversation with me and read the "Purchase Information" on the first post. Thanks!

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016

I have a 1700x 32gb of ram running at c16 3333 1t and a 1080