Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
FINALLY got around to building in this case after sitting there for a month. My cable management is nowhere near as good as zhl146 though.

Specs:
Asus Z370i
Noctua NH-L9i w/ NF-A9 25mm fan
GTX 1080 FE
SF600
16GB DDR4-2400 (will be 32GB DDR4-3000 later)

My only gripe about the building experience is cable management. Even with the custom length cables, it was a real struggle. Especially the 24-pin, as mentioned in grsychckn's installation video. It would definitely help to get a smaller 24-pin. Not sure how anyone managed to build in it without custom cables, honestly.

The controller for the LEDs and Power button definitely made it a little scary to be messing around with the PSU cables, was worried that I would break them.

Also, how exactly do we go about actually controlling the LEDs?

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Do you have any of this case left? I am playing with the idea of starting a build soon, and this case might be just what I am looking for.

What sort of components are people putting in these? I am interested in how the thermals are in this case.

I forgot to answer your question. I've used the following:

1. 1800X/Biostar X370GTN/16GB G.Skill RGB RAM/EVGA 1080ti SC2
2. 1600X/Biostar X370GTN/16GB G.Skill RGB RAM/Sapphire RX470 8GB Nitro+

As for other components I've fit into the case:
Mainboard
1. Gigabyte H110N Intel Motherboard

GPU
1. RX Vega LE
2. Gigabyte Windforce R9 290X

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Biowarejak

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
The controller for the LEDs and Power button definitely made it a little scary to be messing around with the PSU cables, was worried that I would break them.

Also, how exactly do we go about actually controlling the LEDs?

It looks fantastic! I know the cable management can be challenging - I had to use the stock cables for a build I made for the machine shop and even though it was difficult I was able to bend them into shape with the help of my heat gun.

To control the LEDs, you have to download the app for your phone (Magic Home). After you download it, you'll need to disconnect your wireless connection, then open the app and search for a direct wifi connection through the app.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
It looks fantastic! I know the cable management can be challenging - I had to use the stock cables for a build I made for the machine shop and even though it was difficult I was able to bend them into shape with the help of my heat gun.

To control the LEDs, you have to download the app for your phone (Magic Home). After you download it, you'll need to disconnect your wireless connection, then open the app and search for a direct wifi connection through the app.

Excuse me if I'm being stupid, but am I missing something? Wouldn't I need to connect the LED controller board to the same wi-fi network as my phone to control it? How would I go about doing that?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Excuse me if I'm being stupid, but am I missing something? Wouldn't I need to connect the LED controller board to the same wi-fi network as my phone to control it? How would I go about doing that?

You can download the PDF manual here. Basically, you will use your phone to direct connect via wifi to the LED controller. Once you have it directly connected, you can configure the controller to then connect to a wireless AP so it's always connected to your home network. From there, you just have to make sure your phone and the controller are connected to your wireless AP in order to use the app in your house without disconnecting from your home wifi.

Edit: You're not being stupid, I found the setup process very un-intuitive myself.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
You can download the PDF manual here. Basically, you will use your phone to direct connect via wifi to the LED controller. Once you have it directly connected, you can configure the controller to then connect to a wireless AP so it's always connected to your home network. From there, you just have to make sure your phone and the controller are connected to your wireless AP in order to use the app in your house without disconnecting from your home wifi.

Edit: You're not being stupid, I found the setup process very un-intuitive myself.

The problem I have is, how do I get my LED controller to show up on the app? Was I supposed to get this device here:
https://i.imgur.com/u1uIgsT.png

Did I lose it or was it not included?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
The problem I have is, how do I get my LED controller to show up on the app? Was I supposed to get this device here:
https://i.imgur.com/u1uIgsT.png

Did I lose it or was it not included?

That is the piece mounted inside the case. I removed the white plastic around them so they could be mounted with screws. For setting up your phone, I found this youtube video that shows how to connect to the controller and start configuring it.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
That is the piece mounted inside the case. I removed the white plastic around them so they could be mounted with screws. For setting up your phone, I found this youtube video that shows how to connect to the controller and start configuring it.

Yeah that's what I thought. Video helps a lot, thanks.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah that's what I thought. Video helps a lot, thanks.
Awesome! Glad to help. Now until Christmas for SFF members only, sale on the remaining cases at $200 shipped to lower 48! Mention SFFForum in communications with me to get sale price.

skp683

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 13, 2017
Looking for a backpack that will fit this thing so I can transport it. I have a Swiss backpack made for 17" laptops i tried fitting in there but the bag wasn't wide enough. I also looked at Pelican cases but I would prefer a backpack. Anyone have some suggestions?

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Whew, it has been a challenge (and a blast) building in this case. Due to having an older motherboard with a not-so-ideal layout, I am 99% sure that I am going to set up a HDPlex power supply and remove my SF600 to free up room for cable management. On top of that, I have been day dreaming about putting a closed loop system in here with a short/mini graphics card. I'm pretty sure it will work. I hope to have some pictures of the current setup soon.

Last edited:

Crispppy

What's an ITX?
Jan 3, 2018
Wow! I can't believe I haven't seen this case earlier. It's an absolute beaut of a case. Just out of curiosity do you know if a MSI Gaming X style card would fit? I made an account just to ask about this as this case has definitely intrigued me and would like to purchase one either way, if they're still available?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wow! I can't believe I haven't seen this case earlier. It's an absolute beaut of a case. Just out of curiosity do you know if a MSI Gaming X style card would fit? I made an account just to ask about this as this case has definitely intrigued me and would like to purchase one either way, if they're still available?

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you're interested in a case and thank you for the kind words. I'll start a private conversation regarding the purchase. As for the Gaming X, it is going to be too wide to fit most likely. The maximum width of the GPU can be around 120mm. The length can be up to ~292mm and the height would be a standard 2-slot card (~40mm).

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Completed my test build last night! I think I have everything seated nicely and snug. I am waiting on a USB 3 header extension/right angle adapter and need to make an extension for the power button to motherboard cord. Finishing this has increase my desire to water cool this case, and I believe it should work out.

Current Specs:
Intel i5 2320 with a Noctua L9i (the C7 would not fit on this motherboard)
Gigabyte H77N-WIFI (nice little board I found for my old i5 BUT the layout is not ideal)
2 x 4GB of G.SKILL DDR3 1600
PNY GTX 770 (Dimensions: L 266.7mm H 111.3mm)
Corsair SF600 SFX (fan didn't come on during basic tasks)

I am planning on purchasing a 120mm closed loop system and a Zotac GTX 1050ti (since 1060 and 1070 prices are INSANE right now). These two should fit in the bottom half no problem. Eventually I will move the PSU out and put in either a G-Unique (ordering these seems like a pain) or a HDPlex 400w. Getting rid of the SFX power supply will be huge. It should open up quite a bit of room. If I had unlimited funds, I would love to try watercooling the CPU and GPU. Maybe one day!

Let me know what you think! I will do a full build log when the remaining parts come in.

Thanks!

PS: @grsychckn, is there a way to turn the white LEDs off? The white lights don't change color, and it kind of drowns out the color LEDs. I started to check online but wasn't having any luck.

Also, don't fret about the nickname ;) it will change when I do my full build!

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
PS: @grsychckn, is there a way to turn the white LEDs off? The white lights don't change color, and it kind of drowns out the color LEDs. I started to check online but wasn't having any luck.

Yes, you have to download the MagicHome app for Android or iOS and connect to the LED controller via WiFi. Then you can change the colors of the RGB LEDs as well as turn off the white LEDs. After connecting, you would select the "Warm" option at the bottom of the screen and then choose the brightness or turn them off altogether (black). Hope this helps!

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Yes, you have to download the MagicHome app for Android or iOS and connect to the LED controller via WiFi. Then you can change the colors of the RGB LEDs as well as turn off the white LEDs. After connecting, you would select the "Warm" option at the bottom of the screen and then choose the brightness or turn them off altogether (black). Hope this helps!

I was in the app, but just wasn't sure if there was some setting I was missing. I'll play around with it more. Thanks!