Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

whaaaaaaaaayyyy!!!
two more weeks, LOL

EDIT: for the record: that ballpark's pretty close!
vPost: $15.24 from Sliger to OR + $43.80 (USD) via vPost Economy
Total: $59.24 minus tax
Going by sea might be the bit cheaper ($46.58 total), but it says in site it has to be more than 10kg ._.

Last edited:

hsolo505

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2018
Figured I'd share as well... My use-case is a little different from the other users from what I see.

My Cerberus X is an unraid server/nas and htpc/dvr for 3 TV's in the home. The 140mm Prolimatech fans turned out to be the best noise/performance fans I can fit into the case after trying various Noctua models.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Figured I'd share as well... My use-case is a little different from the other users from what I see.

My Cerberus X is an unraid server/nas and htpc/dvr for 3 TV's in the home. The 140mm Prolimatech fans turned out to be the best noise/performance fans I can fit into the case after trying various Noctua models.

After threadripper + 4 Titan V, here is Cerberus-x with dual CPU!!

Awesome setup!

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
What's up with 280mm AIOs in the bottom of Cerberus/Cerberus-X? The specs say one fits with 25mm fans in the bottom of Cerberus, but not in the bottom of Cerberus-X? The cases are the same width, and I can't imagine thickness is the issue. Also there's apparently a reddit post from @KSliger saying that 280mm AIO fits in the bottom of Cerberus-X, which contradicts the website specs.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
4th to 9th maaaaaay ETAAAAAA ,_,

(oh wait that's the same as the original estimate. this comment was meant to be a "case out of forwarder's warehouse" post)

Reactions: Biowarejak

hsolo505

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2018
After threadripper + 4 Titan V, here is Cerberus-x with dual CPU!!

Awesome setup!
I've been waiting for a build like this to pop up :) Very well done!

Thank you! :D I was super excited to find out about this case and had to pull the trigger to "complete" the setup. Even if the hardware changes in the future, this case will surely stick around.

Now to find some stickers/decals to spice it up...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thank you! :D I was super excited to find out about this case and had to pull the trigger to "complete" the setup. Even if the hardware changes in the future, this case will surely stick around.

Now to find some stickers/decals to spice it up...
Windowed panel?..;)

BasicPowerUser

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 2, 2018
How is the H7 working for you? I found it wasn't enough to keep my 1700 cool enough for my OCD to not kick in (occasional spikes in temp to 41-45 C from 32-33 C drove me nuts because of my fan curve as well as my obsession to keep the CPU as cool as possible without watercooling), but that's just me being absolutely paranoid and nuts.
what did you end up using instead of the H7?

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
what did you end up using instead of the H7?
Ended up using a Scythe FUMA rev.b which just barely fits (top of fans kinda touch normal side panel, heatsink doesn't though), temps are absolutely amazing though as I haven't seen over 60 c with prime95 29.3 small fft (supposedly the hardest you could hit your CPU). I did end up modding a side panel for tempered glass which gave an extra 1.5mm clearance and solved the issue with the side panel touching the fans. Do be aware that it might not fit for you as every millimeter matters height wise.

BasicPowerUser

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 2, 2018
Ended up using a Scythe FUMA rev.b which just barely fits (top of fans kinda touch normal side panel, heatsink doesn't though), temps are absolutely amazing though as I haven't seen over 60 c with prime95 29.3 small fft (supposedly the hardest you could hit your CPU). I did end up modding a side panel for tempered glass which gave an extra 1.5mm clearance and solved the issue with the side panel touching the fans. Do be aware that it might not fit for you as every millimeter matters height wise.

dang, nice build

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

What?! My beloved Scythe Fuma is fitting inside cerberus?!
What cpu are you using?

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
What?! My beloved Scythe Fuma is fitting inside cerberus?!
What cpu are you using?

No CPU, just a very coooool motherboard.

(panel mod for window = +1.5mm clearance)

Makes an interesting point though, the base flexibility of the chassis makes a lot of potential for modular parts to extend that.

An early contender would be a deeper front cover to accommodate full size fans on the outer side of the front vents.
Some '3D' side panels in the same fashion as the front panel or just with pressed bulges that accommodate taller coolers or crazy GPUs would no doubt be appreciated by some.

I know it was originally envisioned as a very limited quantity enthusiast product but I think the flexibility of the base design could accommodate a whole ecosystem.

Yes, these optional parts would be even lower volume than the base bits so must be quite expensive but don't be shy. Just look at what people will pay for a bespoke key cap on /r/mk when they are adding something meaningful to them on something of quality they value.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Ended up using a Scythe FUMA rev.b which just barely fits (top of fans kinda touch normal side panel, heatsink doesn't though), temps are absolutely amazing though as I haven't seen over 60 c with prime95 29.3 small fft (supposedly the hardest you could hit your CPU).
Excellent, I ordered a Scythe Fuma Rev. B recently, although I'm not planning to use it in the Cerberus, it's good to know it fits !

Reactions: Kooki

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Hi there, is it possible to install a 240 AIO? or two 120mm AIOs on the bottom if I were to use a mITX board?

Yes.

Bottom can take up to 280.

You can fit a pair of 240 (bottom & front) but thickness of rads & fans will matter.

A 240 will also fit on the side bracket above the CPU.

There are various caveats; If front mounting a rad then the PSU needs to go in its alternate location on the back bracket (over the CPU). Here even massive ATX PSUs can mount but CPU clearance is limited.

Have to ask, why ITX? Do you have the board already? The case is optimized for mATX so by going ITX you're giving up a bunch of potential features and might be better served with an ITX optimized design (say, Ncase M1?)

Naturally, always check the specific combination of parts before committing. 'Standard' sizes like 240 AIO can vary a fair bit depending on end tank size etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz