Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
@KSliger is the volume listed on the Cerberus specs page correct?

Listed at 18.725L, but I see two problems with that.

Firstly, from the listed dimensions 319x172x358 = 19.64L

Secondly, although only one set of dimensions is provided it seems to be the exterior footprint inc feet etc (based on what I see on the Cerb-X page which lists both internal and external)

Extrapolating from the Cerb-X page implies the internal dimensions for Cerb would be 299x164x330. Since it seems convention to list volume as the internal figure that would give;

16.18L

ie nearly 2.5L more compact than you are taking credit for.

Have I got this right?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
@KSliger is the volume listed on the Cerberus specs page correct?

Listed at 18.725L, but I see two problems with that.

Firstly, from the listed dimensions 319x172x358 = 19.64L

Secondly, although only one set of dimensions is provided it seems to be the exterior footprint inc feet etc (based on what I see on the Cerb-X page which lists both internal and external)

Extrapolating from the Cerb-X page implies the internal dimensions for Cerb would be 299x164x330. Since it seems convention to list volume as the internal figure that would give;

16.18L

ie nearly 2.5L more compact than you are taking credit for.

Have I got this right?

Checking the first page of this thread:

Part I: Features

Dimensions
Cerberus's final dimensions are 303 x 170 x 354mm, leading to an overall volume of 18.2L. Though this is a tad bit larger than the last prototype, the benefits of the minor space increase are substantial (and to which I'll elaborate on in a moment), and the increase itself constitutes a mere 5% difference that's imperceptible to the eye.

Maybe documentation mismatch?

dudeletsgo

What's an ITX?
Apr 18, 2018
Will an ATX PSU (Evga 650w GQ) fit with a CoolerMaster Nepton 120 XL AIO (pump is 75 x 69.7 x 49.1 mm)? Or do I have to buy an SFX PSU instead?

hiepphotog

Caliper Novice
Feb 2, 2016
Finally, my first custom loop ever. Tried to fit the pump inside, but I have to sacrifice my 3.5" HDD. So I put it outside and add that Coffee Warmer loop :p

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Finally, my first custom loop ever. Tried to fit the pump inside, but I have to sacrifice my 3.5" HDD. So I put it outside and add that Coffee Warmer loop :p

That's pretty awesome, but I gotta ask;

If you're willing to hang parts outside an in such a vulnerable manner why not use a Cerberus-X and put it inside?

hiepphotog

Caliper Novice
Feb 2, 2016
That's pretty awesome, but I gotta ask;

If you're willing to hang parts outside an in such a vulnerable manner why not use a Cerberus-X and put it inside?
Well, you can certainly put everything inside, but for my case, it wouldn't be possible given my skills and the tubing choice. I found out that out after the fact. I have all 3 PSU config. and I tried to position the pump in all cases in person. In the end, for me, it will sit in one place, so it's not at all vulnerable with the tail. And I have my own reason to stick to a smaller case.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
my big fat strix doesn't sag nearly that much. you can definitely adjust it somewhat by loosening the screws, pushing it up, and re-tightening the screws while you're holding it there. you can probably also give it some extra support by zip tying the power cable to something.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Finished my Built, Need a GPU bracket for that sag

How is the H7 working for you? I found it wasn't enough to keep my 1700 cool enough for my OCD to not kick in (occasional spikes in temp to 41-45 C from 32-33 C drove me nuts because of my fan curve as well as my obsession to keep the CPU as cool as possible without watercooling), but that's just me being absolutely paranoid and nuts.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
How is the H7 working for you? I found it wasn't enough to keep my 1700 cool enough for my OCD to not kick in (occasional spikes in temp to 41-45 C from 32-33 C drove me nuts because of my fan curve as well as my obsession to keep the CPU as cool as possible without watercooling), but that's just me being absolutely paranoid and nuts.
i guess your issue is related to too agressive behaviour of motherboard fan controller.
On my ryzen setup i switch to corsair commander mini to avoid it.

Joe89

Chassis Packer
Dec 25, 2017
Just received the windowed panel today. It's nice, thanks @KSliger !
It is definitely screaming "get another graphics card" there lol. Maybe I'll get another used asus 1070 a few month or even a year later depending on the price...
I did use Dan A4 internal dust filters on the side and the bottom, but had to cut them in order to fit.

Joe89

Chassis Packer
Dec 25, 2017
my big fat strix doesn't sag nearly that much. you can definitely adjust it somewhat by loosening the screws, pushing it up, and re-tightening the screws while you're holding it there. you can probably also give it some extra support by zip tying the power cable to something.
Yeah, my 1070 strix also does not sag much, and to make it better, just have the PSU cable routed in a way to help lifting that side of the card.