Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hi all,

So I'm about to pull the trigger on the Cerberus with these components, and just need a bit of advice:

- MSI X299M GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard
- i9-7900X
- Silverstone SFX-L SST-SX800-LTI 800W PSU
- Zotac GeForce 1080 Ti FE GPU
- Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO cooler

Will I have enough CPU clearance to rear-mount the PSU? (block is 49.1mm and I've seen conflicting advice about whether clearance is 48mm or ~70mm).
If so, is front mounting or bottom mounting the cooler better for performance?
If not, and I need to front mount the PSU and bottom mount the cooler (or if this is a better idea anyway) is there enough room to run the AIO tubing around the GPU?

Thanks a lot guys, so excited to finally be building in this awesome case!

[EDIT] Actually I've just revisited this post which looks like it will work fine, great! Is this the optimal cooling setup with these components?

That build fits really well and is very easy to work with. 280mm only mounts in the bottom, plenty of room for tubes. Not the same motherboard obviously but my temperatures were never above 60C with a 6600K@4.8GHz and it was obscenely quiet for being ~24" from my ear.

There's two SSD mounts on rear of the chassis - should be sufficient for any situation.

MaskedNozza

Chassis Packer
May 4, 2017
I've been waiting for the side panel window for some time now. Do we have an eta on that yet?
I'm in Australia so postage is pretty ridiculous for me. I don't want to get the side panel afterwards and have to pay a huge amount on shipping.

jaruri

Caliper Novice
Feb 15, 2018
I'm sure this has already been asked in this thread (but I'm having a hard time finding it), but does anyone know if the Cerberus is wide enough to support EKWB reference 1080ti waterblocks? I have the acetal+nickle waterblock and am interested in doing a full custom loop in the cerberus. Thanks!

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I'm sure this has already been asked in this thread (but I'm having a hard time finding it), but does anyone know if the Cerberus is wide enough to support EKWB reference 1080ti waterblocks? I have the acetal+nickle waterblock and am interested in doing a full custom loop in the cerberus. Thanks!
I can't see why it wouldn't .if you're worried about the extra aesthetic piece that ek added to the blocks that's removeable if it doesn't fit you can just take it off.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
the FC terminals add 25mm to the width of the card. you'll be fine with reference (founders edition) cards (111mm height stock). some of the bigger aftermarket cards won't work.

Xccapman

Caliper Novice
Feb 12, 2018
omg i love this forum i have build in every sff case and just going to go over to matx and offcourse its going to be a kimera :)

ghost s1
ncase m1
dan a4
metis
+++++

dv4der

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2017
Came here to say i love the modular Rail system, We can essentially configure and mount the Hard drive cage, fans Radiators as we like.

But please make it even smaller. A vast majority of the world is not interested in SLI. So we dont need 5 Slots, 3 Slots Max is all we need!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Came here to say i love the modular Rail system, We can essentially configure and mount the Hard drive cage, fans Radiators as we like.

But please make it even smaller. A vast majority of the world is not interested in SLI. So we dont need 5 Slots, 3 Slots Max is all we need!
What do you mean?..:) An ITX Cerberus?..:D
Cerberus-I or Cerberus Mini?..:D

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Cerberus-I or Cerberus Mini?..:D

I suggest Chibi Keroberosu ...

tokyovigilante

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2016
Just one other question, if I have a 140mm fan as exhaust on the side bracket, 240mm AIO on bottom and front mount PSU, is a 120mm fan as intake on the rear infinity vent reasonable for VRM cooling, or would it be better at the front?

[EDIT] Should I just try and see? ;)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
The rear plate accommodates a 92mm fan max so a 120mm is a no go. However I have not seen any issues with VRM temps on the x370 Taichi and a slightly OCed 1700 sitting at 3.8 1.275v 24-7. Highest VRM temps I’ve seen is 65c under stress tests.

Setup:
92mm rear intake
120mm side bracket exhaust
240mm Corsair h100i rad on bottom with 2x120 mm noctua setup as pull so as intake.

Works great!

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
I don't have any exhausts in my system at all, I have a 120mm 1080TI SC2 hybrid AIO intake on the side bracket, and a 240mm AIO in the bottom. Z370-G motherboard, 5.2ghz 1.425V overclock on 8700K.

VRM temps were really high in synthetic testing(105C+, measured via temp gun on the back of the motherboard) but as soon as I added the 120mm side bracket intake, even though a radiator is in the way, it brought them down to 80-90C. A tiny bit of airflow goes a long way I guess.

I would say as long as you have any fan airflow of any kind vaguely near the VRM it would probably be fine.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
What i appreciate with side 120/140 exhaust side fan that it’s removing hot air from my gpu pretty quickly.
That’s not really useful for vrm, but for global system (psu, ram, mb) as my gpu is usually dissipates like 320w.

In my setup, top exhaust fan is not so useful as 80-90% of hot air is exhausted through side.