Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

It's happening, but it's not cheap! ($250)

Ghleis

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 2, 2017
I received the Cerb-x case yesterday and was excited to change my case but my existing PSU is non modular (an old TX 750M). It will be difficult to build in this tight space using this psu so I will buy a new SFX/ATX PSU.
I have some questions:
Which cable is power switch?/LED? Cables are not marked/labeled
Should I change my CPU cooler? it is cryorig A40 Ultimate (38.5mm thick rad)
I have atx kit and internal sfx kit. What is the optimum configuration to use the existing components?

My existing build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7y98WX

BlackRogue

Trash Compacter
Oct 22, 2016
I know this has almost 100% been asked, but are you looking into UK based retailers to stock the case at any point. The case itself isn't too expensive, but the shipping and import tax/custom fees would push it well beyond the limit for someone like myself

Reactions: KSliger

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
So I just ordered one of these cases today. Couldn't resist, didn't even pay attention to how long it may or may not take to get to Canada, but, I am currently running a 5930k on a very big custom water cooling setup. I of course plan on ditching this and I don't really want to use an AIO. Anyone have recommendation for a high performance air cooler that will fit?

I'm also running a reference design 1080 ti but I will swap my atx PSU with the 700w Silverstone sfx-l.

Reactions: KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I know this has almost 100% been asked, but are you looking into UK based retailers to stock the case at any point. The case itself isn't too expensive, but the shipping and import tax/custom fees would push it well beyond the limit for someone like myself

Casekings/Overclockers won't write me back, sent several emails.

If some EU Cerberus-enthusiasts could get them to know people are looking for this case that may push them to write back.

So I just ordered one of these cases today. Couldn't resist, didn't even pay attention to how long it may or may not take to get to Canada, but, I am currently running a 5930k on a very big custom water cooling setup. I of course plan on ditching this and I don't really want to use an AIO. Anyone have recommendation for a high performance air cooler that will fit?

I'm also running a reference design 1080 ti but I will swap my atx PSU with the 700w Silverstone sfx-l.

Keep the custom loop but slightly smaller, there might be window side panels soon ;)

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Lol, I would keep the custom loop but I'm using a 60mm rad and a very tall reservoir D5 pump combo so I'd pretty much need to buy a new setup other than block. I guess I could do that though :) I still have some brass hard tubing left too so I could potentially have the only Cerberus with custom Watercooling and metal hard tubing lol.

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Ok, so if I'm going to try and cram a custom Watercooling setup in this thing. Couple questions. Does the side bracket support 240 or 280mm radiators? Does the top fan mount support 140mm fans? I'm either going to try and stuff a 240 or 280 radiator in the side, or a 140mm radiator in the top. Then I will need to find the shortest reservoir possible for my D5 and then hope it will fit in the front of the case.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Top bracket is 120mm fan only, no to 240mm on the hinged bracket as it interferes with PSU in internal or rear setup.

Would recommend a Cerberus X and the SFX internal kit to mount an external reservoir.

Reactions: Chann3l

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Top bracket is 120mm fan only, no to 240mm on the hinged bracket as it interferes with PSU in internal or rear setup.

Would recommend a Cerberus X and the SFX internal kit to mount an external reservoir.
Ah ok. I already ordered the Cerberus. I think I will probably just do an air build this time.

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered else where. We need a wiki. If I was to go custom cooling with 240mm rad and a full size ATX PSU, where can I place the rad and reservoir?

If you use a full size atx then there is room on the front of the case for a 240 radiator. No idea about reservoir fitting. In the same boat. I was thinking it would fit in the front as long as the GPU isn't too long. If you mount a 240 in the front since the PSU isn't in the way anymore you might be able to mount the reservoir to the upper half of the radiator with a fan mount reservoir bracket since nothing should be in the way at that height.

SufferLouder

Cable Smoosher
Dec 13, 2017
Hey @KSliger I have a question! I was looking at purchasing the Cerberus a couple hours ago and the shipping to 66614 was 14 bucks, I just went to purchase it and the shipping doubled! Any reason why that may be?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sorry if this has been answered else where. We need a wiki. If I was to go custom cooling with 240mm rad and a full size ATX PSU, where can I place the rad and reservoir?
Look at my setup. One of the best solution is to use swiftech apogee drive and combo radiator/reservoir. You have a full size ddc pump, apogee waterblock, good copper radiator with size of aio...:)
I’ve checked you can buy all these components directly from swiftech website, even international (was not possible a couple of months ago).

In cerberus-x, with atx motherboard, you can have double 240 radiators (front and bottom) and rear mounted sfx/sfx-l psu. On apogee drive ii, you can orientate fittings to match height limit..:)

nemotron

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
8. You should get this soon, all cases that had them missing have had a replacement shipped.

9. Please post a picture, I tested ~6 boards and have not see anything issues. Spacing is same as Cerb X - so issue would be common if one. Some motherboard IO shields are just inaccurate, mainly SuperMicro - they make some incredibly bad "one shield for 20 boards" IO shields.

10. Waiting on this one, honestly that's a big visual change, James of Kimera should be the one to draw this when he's back, it's his design. I'm sticking to his vision as best I can for what users want & need, with only light changes to add more component support, brackets, and finish options.

11. Brand gallery?

9. Might be as issue w/ my I/O shield?

12. There's a ~2mm off set on the hinge. Have to hold it up to get the holes to align. Not sure if by design. Side note, realized I can't have 2x 120mm fans on the side w/ a front sfx psu.

13. A bit of over hang from the graphics card.

14. Very minor things, but the power cable seems long and would've been nice to get the cable to come off the other side. Power cable might be an issue if there's ever 2x 120mm fans up top.

15. Is there supposed to be a gap between the pci slots and the side cover?

How in god's name are you guys doing cable management? The ones that come w/ the Corsair psu are stiff and the right angles on the sata/power cables are in such a way that I can't mount the hdd/ssd to the case and still have clearance for connectors. Similar issue w/ the PCI power cable. Are there custom cables that I would need to buy that are more malleable? Glad I went w/ a SFX instead of SFX-L. A noob like me has more room for cables. Was hoping to put a fan in the front but doesn't look possible now.

Thanks for the help you guys. First time building in an SFF case so having the growing pains.

Last edited:

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
Thank you for your help! May go with c14s:) also, would a mini itx or micro atx board be best for the cerberus? Between ASUS Z370-I and z370-G :)

How in god's name are you guys doing cable management? The ones that come w/ the Corsair psu are stiff and the right angles on the sata/power cables are in such a way that I can't mount the hdd/ssd to the case and still have clearance for connectors. Similar issue w/ the PCI power cable. Are there custom cables that I would need to buy that are more malleable? Glad I went w/ a SFX instead of SFX-L. A noob like me has more room for cables. Was hoping to put a fan in the front but doesn't look possible now.

Thanks for the help you guys. First time building in an SFF case so having the growing pains.

That is why I bought few of the extensions (one SATA to two SATAs etc.) so I do not have to bend it :)

By the way, where are you gonna put that 3,5 drive in this setup?

Nyven

Caliper Novice
Nov 16, 2017
@nemotron

The power cables are stiff but u can bend them right after the power connector... Ex. I got a evga 1080ti hybrid 3 FTW in mine, had to bend the power cables over right at connector to make the card fit. The tubing barely fits putting a little pressure maybe against side panel as well. On the power supply you should have 2 connectors for power to drives. Can u stand the hdd up in front on one power cable? Then put the sdd on back fan vent with its own power cord as well. Again u might have to bend power cable over especially for hdd.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
9. Might be as issue w/ my I/O shield?

12. There's a ~2mm off set on the hinge. Have to hold it up to get the holes to align. Not sure if by design. Side note, realized I can't have 2x 120mm fans on the side w/ a front sfx psu.

13. A bit of over hang from the graphics card.

14. Very minor things, but the power cable seems long and would've been nice to get the cable to come off the other side. Power cable might be an issue if there's ever 2x 120mm fans up top.

15. Is there supposed to be a gap between the pci slots and the side cover?

Nice setup indeed..:)
Point 9 : i got the same issue with my crosshair vi hero...just didn’t put i/o shield
Point 12 : same gap here. I readjust every time i put it back
Point 13 : same here, some sag on gpu
Point 14 : simple cable management tweak : create a roll on top of psu. Use plastic tie (one used in sf600 box to hold in position cables)
Point 15 : same here. This bracket, despite to be a bit ugly, is damn useful to plug big gpu..;)

For cable management, with sf600,tip is to bend again and again cables, and they will smoothen themselves..:)

Also try to concentrate your cables in one area. Between sfx psu and noctua c14s is a good spot..:)

SufferLouder

Cable Smoosher
Dec 13, 2017
Nice setup indeed..:)
Point 9 : i got the same issue with my crosshair vi hero...just didn’t put i/o shield
Point 12 : same gap here. I readjust every time i put it back
Point 13 : same here, some sag on gpu
Point 14 : simple cable management tweak : create a roll on top of psu. Use plastic tie (one used in sf600 box to hold in position cables)
Point 15 : same here. This bracket, despite to be a bit ugly, is damn useful to plug big gpu..;)

For cable management, with sf600,tip is to bend again and again cables, and they will smoothen themselves..:)

Also try to concentrate your cables in one area. Between sfx psu and noctua c14s is a good spot..:)

Is that the GPU showing through the case on #13?