Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
9. Might be as issue w/ my I/O shield?

12. There's a ~2mm off set on the hinge. Have to hold it up to get the holes to align. Not sure if by design. Side note, realized I can't have 2x 120mm fans on the side w/ a front sfx psu.

13. A bit of over hang from the graphics card.

14. Very minor things, but the power cable seems long and would've been nice to get the cable to come off the other side. Power cable might be an issue if there's ever 2x 120mm fans up top.

15. Is there supposed to be a gap between the pci slots and the side cover?

How in god's name are you guys doing cable management? The ones that come w/ the Corsair psu are stiff and the right angles on the sata/power cables are in such a way that I can't mount the hdd/ssd to the case and still have clearance for connectors. Similar issue w/ the PCI power cable. Are there custom cables that I would need to buy that are more malleable? Glad I went w/ a SFX instead of SFX-L. A noob like me has more room for cables. Was hoping to put a fan in the front but doesn't look possible now.

Thanks for the help you guys. First time building in an SFF case so having the growing pains.

Per I/O shield, I think the design might not be accounting for powder coat thickness, I'll add 0.01" to height and width on our CAM files.

Hinge floats around, not much we can do to clean up precision on that without spending $10 per hinge.

GPU should hang out like that, side panel will not contact it.

I can close that gap up on future runs.

I really recommend against anything Corsair for SFF, stiff tubes on AIOs, stiff cables on PSUs, etc. Smart from their end on less possibility things break in bigger cases, but when space matters Corsair laughs.

Hey @KSliger I have a question! I was looking at purchasing the Cerberus a couple hours ago and the shipping to 66614 was 14 bucks, I just went to purchase it and the shipping doubled! Any reason why that may be?

That's sketchy, I adjusted the settings for customs last night right when you posted this though. Updated to include the tariff code and dialed in the weight. Maybe I messed up shipping domestic, I'll recheck this and fix it today. Should not double shipping on you.

SufferLouder

Cable Smoosher
Dec 13, 2017
Per I/O shield, I think the design might not be accounting for powder coat thickness, I'll add 0.01" to height and width on our CAM files.

Hinge floats around, not much we can do to clean up precision on that without spending $10 per hinge.

I really recommend against anything Corsair for SFF, stiff tubes on AIOs, stiff cables on PSUs, etc. Smart from their end on less possibility things break in bigger cases, but when space matters Corsair laughs.

That's sketchy, I adjusted the settings for customs last night right when you posted this though. Updated to include the tariff code and dialed in the weight. Maybe I messed up shipping domestic, I'll recheck this and fix it today. Should not double shipping on you.

Hmm, perhaps it could be the shipping options? I believe I saw Fedex Ground before, but only Home Delivery & up are available

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Ok so I've ordered the 650w Silverstone sfx PSU to go with my Cerberus but I'm having a hell of a time finding an air cooler shorter than 145mm that will sufficiently cool an overclocked 5930k. Really didn't want to use an AIO but I may have to cave. There is no way I'm going to fit even the smallest reservoir with my D5 in there judging from pictures.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hmm, perhaps it could be the shipping options? I believe I saw Fedex Ground before, but only Home Delivery & up are available

That explains it, Home Delivery adds ~$3.50 to ground price and distances over 60 miles from a FedEx hub add an extra amount on that.

Reactions: Biowarejak

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Ok so I've ordered the 650w Silverstone sfx PSU to go with my Cerberus but I'm having a hell of a time finding an air cooler shorter than 145mm that will sufficiently cool an overclocked 5930k. Really didn't want to use an AIO but I may have to cave. There is no way I'm going to fit even the smallest reservoir with my D5 in there judging from pictures.

You could try a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF, 130mm and compatible with 2011. I use one to cool my 8700k and it works extremely well and is very quiet. Bit of a PITA to mount but is very secure.

Reactions: Chann3l

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
You could try a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF, 130mm and compatible with 2011. I use one to cool my 8700k and it works extremely well and is very quiet. Bit of a PITA to mount but is very secure.
Fantastic thanks a lot! Slim pickings out there lol.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Fantastic thanks a lot! Slim pickings out there lol.

Yeah it is, very slim. I have a Ncase M1 and since they discontinued the Noctua NH-C14 it is the largest cooler you can fit in the Ncase. Before delidding my 8700k max temps were 87C at 5.0 GHz 1.35v, now after the delid it keeps it at max of 67C. That is max single core temp, averages in the low 60s.

Reactions: Chann3l

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Yeah it is, very slim. I have a Ncase M1 and since they discontinued the Noctua NH-C14 it is the largest cooler you can fit in the Ncase. Before delidding my 8700k max temps were 87C at 5.0 GHz 1.35v, now after the delid it keeps it at max of 67C. That is max single core temp, averages in the low 60s.

Oh wow, ya I may be upgrading to an 8700k soon, do a lot of renderering and the extra performance should give a boost haha. Just ordered the tf from Amazon. Newegg Canada doesn't carry it. 220w tdp is plenty haha.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Ah that makes sense! So it may have just been a glitch where Ground isn't showing up?!:)

FedEx "Ground" by "FedEx Ground" is unfortunately only to businesses, to residential is Ground Home Delivery. Would try using work or a FedEx office as ship to address, will save a few $

Was USPS not an option?

SufferLouder

Cable Smoosher
Dec 13, 2017
FedEx "Ground" by "FedEx Ground" is unfortunately only to businesses, to residential is Ground Home Delivery. Would try using work or a FedEx office as ship to address, will save a few $

Was USPS not an option?
I didn't see any USPS actually! The only options i'm able to see are:

FedEx Home Delivery
FedEx Express Saver
FedEx 2 Day

nemotron

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
@Nyven
I'll try bending the power cables on the graphics card and see if I can the side panel back on.

Nice setup indeed..:)
Point 9 : i got the same issue with my crosshair vi hero...just didn’t put i/o shield
Point 12 : same gap here. I readjust every time i put it back
Point 13 : same here, some sag on gpu
Point 14 : simple cable management tweak : create a roll on top of psu. Use plastic tie (one used in sf600 box to hold in position cables)
Point 15 : same here. This bracket, despite to be a bit ugly, is damn useful to plug big gpu..;)

For cable management, with sf600,tip is to bend again and again cables, and they will smoothen themselves..:)

Also try to concentrate your cables in one area. Between sfx psu and noctua c14s is a good spot..:)
13. Oh that's sag? It's still there when I have the case lying flat. I thought the graphics card just sits 2mm too low or the back plate of the case is 2mm to close.

The hinge isn't a big deal.

Since PSU #1 was DOA, Corsair was next up in line. Suppose I could've tried Silverstone. I'll keep it in mind for future builds

nemotron

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
That is why I bought few of the extensions (one SATA to two SATAs etc.) so I do not have to bend it :)

By the way, where are you gonna put that 3,5 drive in this setup?

I was thinking maybe just 1x 120 on the bottom and mount the hdd perpendicular to one of the infinite vents so I don't have to buy the bracket. Or I suppose I could just turn the hdd into an archive drive and not even make it part of the system.

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
I was thinking maybe just 1x 120 on the bottom and mount the hdd perpendicular to one of the infinite vents so I don't have to buy the bracket. Or I suppose I could just turn the hdd into an archive drive and not even make it part of the system.

Well, even 120 with HDD right next to it will not fit, in my opinion. Even without cables.

nemotron

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
Well, even 120 with HDD right next to it will not fit, in my opinion. Even without cables.

I'm not going to lay it flat for a 2x2 array of screws. I was going to put it skinny side to the base since there's 2-3 screws on the drive. That way connections will face the side of the case and I can run power and sata cables along the side of the case.

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Question about the window panel option. Since I've already ordered my Cerberus, will it be possible to buy the window panel later when it's available?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I recieved my Ceberus to Washington in 3 days, shipping was only $13 which was nice, the case looks amzing in person. Here are pics comparing it with the Nano S
Will you do a specific build inside your cerberus? Or move your nano s setup inside ceeberus?