Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Brian

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
Several people have asked about dual 240mm radiators.

I was wondering, is that something you all are seriously considering or is it just curiosity about the possibility?

I wold love to be able to do a 240 for CPU and 2 x 120 mm for SLI 980 TI Hybrids in this beauty.

Isomer

Trash Compacter
Feb 10, 2016
The difference in how the M1 and Cerberus orients the SFX PSU is due to the extra depth of microATX vs Mini-ITX. So would you have the PSU aligned like the M1 but in front of the motherboard?

I looked at the pictures again, and now see that it's tighter in the Cerberus than in the M1. In that case my plan won't work :D

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
I plan on going dual 980Ti's, 700w SFX PSU and dual 240mm radiators. Don't tell how or it can't be done, I'm gonna do it! :D

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If I choose the ATX build (to allow at least 850 watts for SLI) will I be able to have 2 single 120 mm rads fit in the front? (CPU + GPU)
or SFX-L version (700 w) with the CPU 120 or 140mm rad on side bracket and GPU 120 mm rad below PSU (even if using a slim fan?

Dual 120mm rads on the front with an ATX PSU should work as long as the lower rad+fan is 55mm or less when using reference length NVIDIA cards:

There's isn't room for a rad under a SFX-L PSU, a 120mm fan just barely clears the connectors. SFX would let it fit but 650W is right on the edge of being able to power SLI 980 Ti's.

I wold love to be able to do a 240 for CPU and 2 x 120 mm for SLI 980 TI Hybrids in this beauty.

The only was I could possibly see that working is with a really slim 240mm rad and the 12mm Scythe fans on the bottom under the cards and the dual 120mm rads for the cards on the front. But that would be a nightware for tubing.

I looked at the pictures again, and now see that it's tighter in the Cerberus than in the M1. In that case my plan won't work :D

Yup, there's not much room in front of the board like there is with the M1.

I plan on going dual 980Ti's, 700w SFX PSU and dual 240mm radiators. Don't tell how or it can't be done, I'm gonna do it! :D

It's not physically impossible but it'll certainly be a challenge :p

You'd have to rear-mount the PSU and with SilverStone's new PP08 adapter bracket that'd give you more working room for the CPU block.

Reactions: Brian

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
is that enough for OC on 980 TI s?

I'm more than certain is should be. I currently have a I7-4790k overclocked to 4.6Ghz and a 980TI overclocked as well, both under water, and while gaming I hit the max wattage of 405. Under Furmark it reaches 480w, but I'm not benchmarking constantly so I really don't worry about that too much. Those damn PSU calculators are always way off and usually recommend way higher wattage than you really need.

shawnbeonkey

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 13, 2016
There's isn't room for a rad under a SFX-L PSU, a 120mm fan just barely clears the connectors. SFX would let it fit but 650W is right on the edge of being able to power SLI 980 Ti's.
This actually ties into some questions I've got about the fan layout I'm trying to plan right now--I take it a 140mm fan won't fit up front with an SFX-L PSU? Would one fit with a standard SFX PSU? Also, is it possible to have two 140mm fans on the bottom? If not, what would be the best configuration of bottom fans to maximize intake, assuming no radiators?

Also, I know top-fan support was removed in an earlier prototype, is this still the case?

As I intend to use an SFX-L PSU for noise reasons (unless a quiet SFX PSU arises), I'm planning to stick a 120mm fan beneath it up front, two 140mm fans on the bottom, my Kraken x41 rad on the side hinge, and of course, a 92mm fan as exhaust. But I'll definitely be sticking more fans up top if possible.

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
It's not physically impossible but it'll certainly be a challenge :p

You'd have to rear-mount the PSU and with SilverStone's new PP08 adapter bracket that'd give you more working room for the CPU block.

Ahhhh keep forgetting about that everytime....I'll have to order the ATX version of the case if I want to use the PP08 Adapter. Dangit...maybe i'll just go with the 240mm on bottom and 140mm on the side bracket and call it a day.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm more than certain is should be. I currently have a I7-4790k overclocked to 4.6Ghz and a 980TI overclocked as well, both under water, and while gaming I hit the max wattage of 405. Under Furmark it reaches 480w, but I'm not benchmarking constantly so I really don't worry about that too much. Those damn PSU calculators are always way off and usually recommend way higher wattage than you really need.

This needs to be emphasized. Many builders significantly overestimate the wattage they'll need for their builds, and it invariably leads to poor buying decisions that negatively impact their overall configuration.

For Cerberus, this is particularly acute if you go for an ATX PSU when a SFX unit would have done fine. A 700W SFX-L unit can support practically any dual-GPU solution short of the hungriest GPUs and CPU in unison. It's really only heavy overclockers, noise-sensitive enthusiasts, or builders who want to mount additional hardware to the front who should consider ATX PSU's at all.

TLDR: We aren't kidding when we say that perhaps 90% of enthusiasts will be best served by going with SFX!

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
For Cerberus, this is particularly acute if you go for an ATX PSU when a SFX unit would have done fine. A 700W SFX-L unit can support practically any dual-GPU solution short of the hungriest GPUs and CPU in unison.

A 700w SFX PSU would more than suffice as you stated for pretty much any build in this case. And as SFF cases continue to grow in popularity so will the increase in more powerful SFX PSU's (We hope :\). On another note how do I support this forum and become a Gold Member?! Would love to show my support for such an awesome site! Sorry if I hijacked the thread

Brian

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
Dual 120mm rads on the front with an ATX PSU should work as long as the lower rad+fan is 55mm or less when using reference length NVIDIA cards:

a really slim 240mm rad and the 12mm Scythe fans on the bottom under the cards and the dual 120mm rads for the cards on the front

A 700W SFX-L unit can support practically any dual-GPU solution short of the hungriest GPUs and CPU in unison

So I'll be getting the ATX version even If I use the SFX-L 700 with the PP08 Adapter, that'll give me space in the front for the dual 120 mm and a Silverstone 240 mm slim (37mm height rad+fan)

Whats estimated space left of the last pci slot to the bottom of the case, ~100 mm ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Apparently there are about 2 people left that will go air-only in this thing. Think Different ©, I guess :D

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Apparently there are about 2 people left that will go air-only in this thing. Think Different ©, I guess :D

Well, I figure that the folks going air-only can figure out pretty easily if their prospective components will fit - we basically spell out the maximum dimensions for each component on our site, so you just need to compare a few numbers. They won't need us to verify anything.

With water cooling, comparatively, it can get complicated since you've got many avenues to try, and you have multiple potential components vying for the same space. You can't just compare two numbers; you have to do a bit more math to determine if a certain arrangement will work. Thus, you're more inclined to ask for advice! (And understandably so)

Thinking mounting a 240 Predator on the bottom for the cpu and single 980 in the loop too.

I'm pretty sure @Aibohphobia has already tried several times to dissuade people from using a Predator in this case.

I mean, if people only want one graphics card (with a block on it, at that), and the ability to overclock like a madman, then go for it! Maybe it isn't what either Aiboh or myself would build, but the whole point of Cerberus being a flexible enclosure is that it enables even some of the fringe builds like that to be possible. So to each their own :)

(I also think that a next gen dual-GPU card in that sort of a build - if we are graced by one later in the year - would be very, very interesting...)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well, I figure that the folks going air-only can figure out pretty easily if their prospective components will fit - we basically spell out the maximum dimensions for each component on our site, so you just need to compare a few numbers. They won't need us to verify anything.
Well I'm not sure how my second GPU will fit when I won't be using the reference cooler, if anything I'd try to use another Arctic Accelero Xtreme but it wouldn't fit normally or with 3 slots in between. I'll be needing to do something about that issue.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well I'm not sure how my second GPU will fit when I won't be using the reference cooler, if anything I'd try to use another Arctic Accelero Xtreme but it wouldn't fit normally or with 3 slots in between. I'll be needing to do something about that issue.

If you do spaced SLI, couldn't you attach the fans for the bottom Accelero on the bottom of the case? You'd have to use 10mm fans instead of the 25mm ones you currently use in your M1, but if you prop the case up a lil' bit, that should work, right?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This actually ties into some questions I've got about the fan layout I'm trying to plan right now--I take it a 140mm fan won't fit up front with an SFX-L PSU? Would one fit with a standard SFX PSU? Also, is it possible to have two 140mm fans on the bottom? If not, what would be the best configuration of bottom fans to maximize intake, assuming no radiators?

Also, I know top-fan support was removed in an earlier prototype, is this still the case?

As I intend to use an SFX-L PSU for noise reasons (unless a quiet SFX PSU arises), I'm planning to stick a 120mm fan beneath it up front, two 140mm fans on the bottom, my Kraken x41 rad on the side hinge, and of course, a 92mm fan as exhaust. But I'll definitely be sticking more fans up top if possible.

Yes, a 140mm fits with SFX. I don't think it's strictly required, but it still helps if the PSU modular connectors are offset away from the front of the case so it's easy to route the wires around the fan.

dual 140mm fans on the bottom fit:

There is not a fan mount at the top. I didn't find it that helpful and it doesn't fit with many motherboards with tall VRM heatsinks along the top edge of the board.

With an 140mm AIO on the side I didn't find a rear exhaust helpful either. Since the top and rear exhaust are so close by the positive pressure from the fan on the side is more than enough and I don't find even the 92x25mm Noctua fan all that quiet if you're a silence freak.

Whats estimated space left of the last pci slot to the bottom of the case, ~100 mm ?

Is this what you want to know?

PCI slots are 20.32mm tall so subtract that from the measurement if you're talking about the 5th slot.

Thinking mounting a 240 Predator on the bottom for the cpu and single 980 in the loop too.

Predator on the bottom with a single GPU should be doable. Here's the Swiftech MCR220-QP-RES-R2:

It'll be a tight fit for the motherboard headers though. The Swiftech here is 128mm wide while the Predator is 133mm wide:

If you do spaced SLI, couldn't you attach the fans for the bottom Accelero on the bottom of the case? You'd have to use 10mm fans instead of the 25mm ones you currently use in your M1, but if you prop the case up a lil' bit, that should work, right?

I don't have pics but that's basically what I did with a GTX 780. I took the shroud and fans off and used two 120mm fans mounted to the bottom to cool the card.

The feet are 15mm tall so it's not as necessary to prop the case up like it is on the M1.